Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Loucks posted:

Furniture chat is exactly my interest right now. Supposing I wanted to design my home’s interior with genuinely nice furniture, where would I go? I honestly don’t know where to start. For example, I want legitimately high quality wood bedroom furniture that’s not just pulp glued together and held together with pot metal fasteners. Searching for “heirloom” furniture just landed me a bunch of semi-local Amish woodworking shops since I’m not so far from Amish country. Maybe that’s the way to go, but I’m leery of spending >$6k on a bed and nightstand just because “Amish” is in the shop’s name.

e: damnit. Someone at least post a link to earlier discussion on this?

Depending on style you have the places already recommended, where you may or may not be looking at quality pieces - seems like a mixed bag, and also actual handcrafted furniture. These places still exist. And you definitely pay for it. I'm not talking "Amish furniture" stores (which is largely middlemen sourcing furniture from the Amish) but like, Karges and Councill. Get ready to open your wallet, but the stuff is very well made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

GEMorris posted:

(Another conversation entirely is how the Festool Domino has impacted the custom furniture builder market by increasing their efficiency because hoo boy I don't think anyone could've predicted that and anyone who wants to poo poo on domino joinery does not understand wood or adhesives.)

The only thing I'll poo poo on is the price point on the tool, but heck maybe there really is an £850 gap in results between a domino cutter and a biscuit cutter on a router.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Jaded Burnout posted:

The only thing I'll poo poo on is the price point on the tool, but heck maybe there really is an £850 gap in results between a domino cutter and a biscuit cutter on a router.

Agreed, they developed and patented the tool, build it in germany, and price it accordingly. It absolutely is not equivalent to a biscuit jointer, but if you want to do domino-esque loose tenon joinery (even using the actual dominos for standardization / repeatability) and you have more time, then it can be accomplished with a router and jigs (this youtube channel has a lot of examples of "domino joinery without a domino")

I'm going to buy one this Christmas, and wish I had bought one years ago.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

actionjackson posted:

for really nice furniture, I'd start with room and board, but it depends on the style you are looking for

if you want something modern try blu dot or design within reach

For a bedroom set I would expect to spend at least 1500-2000 on a bed, similar for a dresser but it depends on the size maybe like 500-700 for a nightstand

copenhagen is a good dresser and nightstand that fits well into whatever

https://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/bedroom/dressers/copenhagen-dressers

These are nice resources. Neat.

quote:

DWR or Hive, or Roche Bobois if you want something weird
Also neat!

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Home blogs / instagrams seem to recycle a lot of content. I’ll see the exact same photo of the same place posted across multiple accounts.

At this point unique content is outnumbered by the constantly reshared content. By a lot.

E: fixed typo

TURGID TOMFOOLERY fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 14, 2020

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I know that my furniture journey was some form of
- Furniture! Good!
- Cheap furniture, good?
- Particle board and MDF, barf, "solid wood" for me! (mostly buying glued-up strip pine)
- What's this "plywood" thing you're talking about?
- Wait, why does this "solid wood" keep warping and shifting, nobody told me about that!
- Hmm maybe MDF is OK sometimes, still hate particle board

Still not a fan of veneers but only because I have a pathological need for my things to be "honest" even when that's not practical.

I rely on G.E. Morris and Kaiser Schitzel to back and/or correct me on these points, being fine woodworkers (I am more of a patzer woodworker, if I'm honest, and retired at that)

MDF and particle board are 1st cousins- chips and sawdust with a glue binder. Their positive aspects are that they are neutral- they don't expand or move like actual wood. So for speakers, for instance, ideal. And they're made from recycled bits of junk wood. Their negatives are that they are the devil's own creation, soulless material, and there was the trope for years about formaldehyde dissipation from particle board, which led to etc.

Plywood was used by the ancient Egyptians, and is literally crosswise layers of thin actual wood glued, aka laminated together. Veneer also has a noble origin from probably that time also, and is not to be looked down on, imo. Don't sneer veneer!

The awesome mystery thing about wood imo, as you know Jaded Burnout, is that even though the tree died long ago, it retains the organic je ne sais quoi idkwtf and moves with humidity like a still living thing. And compensating techniques for that has been figured out by genius crafts-persons/woodworkers since recorded time. You will never, never, ever find a decent musical instrument made from mdf or particle baord, fwiw imo. /:words:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

Home blogs / instagrams seem to recycle a lot of content. I’ll see the exact same photo of the same place posted across multiple accounts.

At this point unique content is outnumbered by the constantly reshaped content.

The amount of blogs I look at only to find the same apartmenttherapy posts is obscene. There's also the airbnb effect of widespread homogenization of design do to how rapidly trends can pop up and be commodified by a fast-fashion world.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

At this point unique content is outnumbered by the constantly reshared content. By a lot.

This is a widespread issue across all of social media, unfortunately. Take any interest and you will find limitless aggregator accounts. The best you can really do is to at least choose to only follow the ones that properly attribute the original post.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Mr. Mambold posted:

I rely on G.E. Morris and Kaiser Schitzel to back and/or correct me on these points, being fine woodworkers (I am more of a patzer woodworker, if I'm honest, and retired at that)

MDF and particle board are 1st cousins- chips and sawdust with a glue binder. Their positive aspects are that they are neutral- they don't expand or move like actual wood. So for speakers, for instance, ideal. And they're made from recycled bits of junk wood. Their negatives are that they are the devil's own creation, soulless material, and there was the trope for years about formaldehyde dissipation from particle board, which led to etc.

Plywood was used by the ancient Egyptians, and is literally crosswise layers of thin actual wood glued, aka laminated together. Veneer also has a noble origin from probably that time also, and is not to be looked down on, imo. Don't sneer veneer!

The awesome mystery thing about wood imo, as you know Jaded Burnout, is that even though the tree died long ago, it retains the organic je ne sais quoi idkwtf and moves with humidity like a still living thing. And compensating techniques for that has been figured out by genius crafts-persons/woodworkers since recorded time. You will never, never, ever find a decent musical instrument made from mdf or particle baord, fwiw imo. /:words:

Yes these weren't current questions so much as a timeline of my journey through the Understanding of Wood.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

when that room and board dresser says ..."Made by North Dakota woodworkers who hand select the finest solid wood veneer or low-emission MDF" what does that mean? I thought veneer was just something that went on top of something else. it makes it sound like some of the products are just veneers.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

there wolf posted:

The amount of blogs I look at only to find the same apartmenttherapy posts is obscene. There's also the airbnb effect of widespread homogenization of design do to how rapidly trends can pop up and be commodified by a fast-fashion world.

not sure what you mean

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

actionjackson posted:

when that room and board dresser says ..."Made by North Dakota woodworkers who hand select the finest solid wood veneer or low-emission MDF" what does that mean? I thought veneer was just something that went on top of something else. it makes it sound like some of the products are just veneers.
Veneer is a very thin (usually 1/40” thick, sometimes 1/20” or 1/16”) slice of wood. It is glued onto something called the substrate. That substrate can be many materials-solid wood boards, plywood (which is itself made of many layers or veneer), particleboard, MDF, even metal or plastic.

‘Hand selected’ means whatever you want to imagine it means. It might just mean that they ordered high grade veneer where someone at the mill picked out all the pieces with defects, or it might mean a worker lays out all the veneer sheets and tries to get good matches in grain/color before they are spliced together and laid up. It does look like they use veneer from different flitches so it looks more like solid wood boards and isn’t as repetitive as bookmatched veneer often is.

The way they use their terms is a bit confusing, and it’s worse in the more detailed description:
Case Construction: benchmade wood veneer or low-emission MDF with unfinished back
Base Construction: hand-welded
Drawer Construction: wood veneer or low-emission MDF front; Baltic birch plywood sides; dovetail joinery; wood veneer bottom

Most places where they say ‘wood veneer’ they really mean ‘wood veneered,’ as in a substrate ‘veneered with wood.’ The case is made of pieces of a substrate (not-specified, probably MDF, maybe plywood) that have had veneer glued to both sides. The case is not made of wood veneer, it is made of MDF or Plywood that has been veneered with walnut or cherry or w/e, and then been assembled into a carcass.

They’re using some good marketing buzzwords too-benchmade sounds nice, but I doubt it spend much time on a bench except to get sanded. ‘Low-emission MDF’ might refer to low carbon emissions (as in manufactured in a more environmentally friendly way) or low formaldehyde emissions-they don’t seem to be specific. It seems like the painted/colored ones may just be MDF that is painted or more likely foil. Foil is what they call the coating on like ikea stuff-I’m not sure if it Is really metal foil or some kind of melamine or what. I’ve never worked with it.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

actionjackson posted:

Veneer is a thin slice of wood, face veneers are used for three reasons:

1. Economy, to make a clear attractive log cover many times more surface area than it would if only solid wood was used.

2. Stability, veneer can be applied on top of a more stable substrate or assembly, reducing movement compared to a solid wood construction.

3. Visual presentation, marquetry can create visual presentations that would be extremely difficult to near impossible if done with "solid wood"

Non-face veneers are used for three primary reasons:

1. Stability+Strength, by assembling a panel with alternating grains and adhesive you make something that is strong in both directions and stable

2. Standardization, furniture factories dedicate a *ton* of effort to optimize solid wood, and veneer logs, and the resulting panels, can dramatically reduce this constant processing overhead.

3.. Additive forming, this mostly applies to bent laminations, but veneer can be used structurally to create parts that would be incredibly wasteful with a purely subtractive process.

Now back to your post:

That ad copy you cited is saying that they hand select (using their professional judgement) and then use it to create panels on MDF that is low in VOCs and other harmful chemicals.

Addendum: the only hill I will defend MDF on is as the center of a 5-ply lumber banded panel, or as jig material.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

actionjackson posted:

not sure what you mean

As a newcomer who in all honesty isn’t going to read every single preceding page: is the joke here just homogenization, because unless the lens is doing some massive distortion that space looks hellish to actually use.

Also continuing to appreciate the furniture chat and actually feeling like I’m learning something and getting good resources to check out.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Loucks posted:

As a newcomer who in all honesty isn’t going to read every single preceding page: is the joke here just homogenization, because unless the lens is doing some massive distortion that space looks hellish to actually use.

Also continuing to appreciate the furniture chat and actually feeling like I’m learning something and getting good resources to check out.

Lmao at the kitchen triangle designed by mc escher. This is a kitchen for eating takeout in.

More seriously: yes, its the homogenization of surface treatments and features in a way that is meant to check off boxes for the property listing and impress the potential buyers when they first see it, but with little thought about long term use.

Btw Nancy Hiller's book Kitchen Think is absolutely excellent for learning how to think about the daily usage and optimization of kitchen spaces.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 14, 2020

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

actionjackson posted:

not sure what you mean

I'll see you, but raise you

Neon words on walls. Coming to a Target near you in 2021, I'm sure.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I sort of like the high gloss black walls, but I'm kinda like a parrot - very fascinated by reflections :parrot:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
What does that even say?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I saw a cute one that was custom made and it was a phrase that was an inside joke between the couple.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

cheese eats mouse posted:

I saw a cute one that was custom made and it was a phrase that was an inside joke between the couple.

"Do you have stairs in your house?"

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Youth Decay posted:

"Do you have stairs in your house?"

We are protected :3:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

What does that even say?

"With you I want to live" by Tracey Emin. Here's the 2008 edition:

If you want one it's gonna cost you about $100k https://www.phillips.com/detail/tracey-emin/NY010117/14

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 14, 2020

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I think it's great but also I would love to have a Jenny Holzer piece in my house.

I once set up a receipt printer to print truisms until it ran out of paper and I gave all of the printouts to friends :v:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Loucks posted:

it's in reference to the mass commercialization saturation of "minimalism"

(the below is mainly what i've gleaned from PRADA SLUT so thanks to him)

minimalism is simply a result of having less stuff. However it has been highly commodified into "minimalist table," "minimalist paint," "minimalist plant," etc. etc. which are all bullshit.

the picture is stereotypical of a "minimalist kitchen" - white walls, white or off white cabinetry, stainless steel appliances, marble countertops, etc. But these concepts are completely made up. My bathroom is painted blue with a bit of gray. That does not mean my bathroom is "less minimalist" then if the walls were white. My plants have many leaves - they are not "less minimalist" then a plant with a single leaf. oh and dear god my comforter is BLUE!! what IS minimalist is a conscientious decision to live with less, and to be thoughtful about what you purchase, i.e. avoid impulse buying and such.

https://hyperallergic.com/566183/how-normie-minimalism-and-farmhouse-chic-took-over-contemporary-design/

quote:

If you search real estate listings nowadays, sparseness is unavoidable. Houses with period interiors, whether it’s Victorian-era parlors or mid-century kitsch or dated ‘90s theme-ing or even 2000s MTV Cribs McMansion chic, are becoming an endangered species. Every interior, from the priciest New York City condo to the humblest exurban rancher, exists in a singular spectrum of gray, Marie Kondo-ed to perfection, absent of any clutter or unnecessary touches, each accessory and wall hanging meticulously selected and expertly placed.

From their ceilings dangle rusticated light fixtures aglow with Edison bulbs; their kitchens are clad in quartz and subway tile; their wall art ranging from huge reproduced metal signs to huge reproduced David Hockney prints; their furnishings boasting either Pottery Barn white sofas or $11,000 showpieces from Design Within Reach, all atop a streaky, faux-distressed oriental rug. Every realtor, in increasingly aggrandized text boasts each instance of charm and authenticity, each listing’s Real-American-ness, be it in the form of tasteful urbane liberalism or rural chauvinism — all available in knockoff form from West Elm or Joss & Main.

Their commonality lies in the same impulse for vacuous, petit bourgeois taste to launder itself in narratives of nostalgia and cultural legitimacy. When thinking of minimalism, one can only wonder what the once-avant-garde cadre of artists and musicians would think about this hyper-commodified end product of their ethos, practice, and even their living circumstances. Either way, somebody’s making a lot of money.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 14, 2020

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

I like mid century modern and I feel like that makes me basic or doing a douchey cosplay of mad men

uncloudy day
Aug 4, 2010
I bought these 90s ikea block glass/jumbo ice cube lamps and one of the bulbs burned out. I was thinking of replacing them with smart bulbs. Does anyone have experience with these? Wirecutter has a list, but none of their picks are the size I need. These take the small decorative e12 socket bulbs (the same size as those little candle flame shape bulbs). There are a few choices on amazon, but a lot of off brands and I’m wary of getting some junk that will stop working in a few weeks and/or digital security issues. I don’t really need them to change every color of the rainbow (although that would be fun for kicks) but i would prefer to adjust the warmth/intensity since I’ll probably use them as reading and/or night lights. I don’t mind paying good money for bulbs, but I might change my mind if they’re likely to be obsolete before I can get my money’s worth out of them.

edit: oh yeah and I’d prefer one that I can just control from my smartphone and doesn’t need a separate bridge/hub.

(They’re not supposed to be this bright but came with an oversized 40W incandescent bulb when the max is labeled as 25W)

uncloudy day fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 14, 2020

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

If there’s enough room in there you could use an e12 to e26 adapter to use a standard bulb. Unfortunately ikea uses e12 bases as a sort of vendor lock-in similar to how Hampton bay fans used E17 bulbs for a period instead of a more common size.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I like mid century modern and I feel like that makes me basic or doing a douchey cosplay of mad men

if you have a rosewood credenza (i.e. liquor cabinet) then yes

uncloudy day
Aug 4, 2010

It’s a wide enough umbrella that I still see the occasional new and inventive interior styled with “mid century modern” furniture, and a ton of boring played out interiors as well.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

any opinions on which of these would look best on the corner of my "walnut" desk? it needs to have a small footprint, like no more than 8-9" in diameter and no more than 10-11" tall. Ideally be dimmable, but I can purchase a separate dimmer if needed. I need diffuse lighting because I have very large pupils for whatever reason. I'd be getting this as a gift so price isn't really an issue.

https://www.lightology.com/index.php?module=prod_detail&prod_id=672170 r

requires a separate dimmer which is annoying, might be a bit too wide. I guess I'd have to have the power switch and dimmer switch under the desk or something - I have a basket under there to hold cords.

https://www.dwr.com/lighting-table-lamps/turn-on-table-lamp/2514643.html?lang=en_US'

most compact, also you twist the base to turn on and dim all in one which is cool

https://www.lightology.com/index.php?module=prod_detail&prod_id=805902&cat_id=40 (with black finish)

might be a bit too tall, but the on/off switch is on the base and the dimmer in front so it's very convenient and compact.

uncloudy day
Aug 4, 2010

corgski posted:

If there’s enough room in there you could use an e12 to e26 adapter to use a standard bulb. Unfortunately ikea uses e12 bases as a sort of vendor lock-in similar to how Hampton bay fans used E17 bulbs for a period instead of a more common size.

Hm I measured and there’s barely half an inch of clearance inside the shroud as is, probably not enough for the adaptor plus an e26 bulb

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

While I don't blame the writer at all for referencing her, it bugs the hell out of me how Marie Kondo has become enmeshed in this psuedo-minimalist aesthetic when her work is about minimalism the ethos- how you relate to the things you own and thinking carefully about your actual needs and how to meet them. It's a total missing the forest for the trees move that even our own little minimalist community here dabbles in when they act affronted that spending thousands of dollars on a piece of new furniture is it's own form of consumerism.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

there wolf posted:

While I don't blame the writer at all for referencing her, it bugs the hell out of me how Marie Kondo has become enmeshed in this psuedo-minimalist aesthetic when her work is about minimalism the ethos- how you relate to the things you own and thinking carefully about your actual needs and how to meet them. It's a total missing the forest for the trees move that even our own little minimalist community here dabbles in when they act affronted that spending thousands of dollars on a piece of new furniture is it's own form of consumerism.

literally buying anything is consumerism

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "dairy barn"

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/60-Thompson-Mill-Rd-Newtown-PA-18940/9131068_zpid/ 30 acre private garden with a spectacular dairy barn library/apartment

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/764-Barnumville-Rd-3-Manchester-Center-VT-05255/2119104685_zpid/ Dairy barn that was converted into townhomes in the 1970s

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3546-Aquetong-Rd-Carversville-PA-18913/9094369_zpid/ Warm contemporary look

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/442-Nicole-Forest-Dr-Santa-Rosa-Beach-FL-32459/251145692_zpid/ Humongous new construction with reclaimed parts of a 100-year-old barn

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/55-Chippewa-Dr-Oswego-IL-60543/202821139_zpid/ 10.2k square feet for $899K

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1-Masthead-Ln-Dartmouth-MA-02748/2083091619_zpid/ Shingle style twin silo barn that manages to avoid the warehouse-showroom feeling of some of these

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/550-Hathaway-Cir-Lake-Forest-IL-60045/4856779_zpid/ Neat Tudor dairy barn with silo and turret

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/176-Parkside-Dr-Princeton-NJ-08540/39013592_zpid/ Slightly different approach to remodeling a Tudor dairy barn

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Youth Decay posted:

The Zillow search term of the day is "dairy barn"

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/60-Thompson-Mill-Rd-Newtown-PA-18940/9131068_zpid/ 30 acre private garden with a spectacular dairy barn library/apartment

Except the deathtrap farm implement stair rail I love this.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

My new favorite type of before/after are bathrooms where they remove all pragmatic vanity surface area so instead it’s just the sink and then some awkward shelves covered in plants.

Nobody needs counter surface in a bathroom, nope.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Bread Liar

I loved drat near all of those, but I just have to point out that painting in the corner.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

there wolf posted:

I totally misread this post yesterday my bad

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

there wolf posted:

Marie Kondo has been latched onto as part of the age-old “reject what your parents did” storyline. I mean, I’ve seen her referenced in the audiophile press as the reason younger listeners prefer full-function integrated units over large separates, while completely ignoring the cost and space issues that are far more likely to be driving those decisions.

It’s annoying because her method doesn’t advocate trashing everything or living with nothing. It just forces you to actually come to terms with how much stuff you really have and to determine what of that you actually want and need.

Regarding the homogenization of design due to blogs and instagram, I do wonder how much is due to certain things looking good in photographs and how much of it is due to certain styles being easy to photograph. I feel like making minimalist design look good in amateur photos is a good bit easier than doing the same for, say, maximalist decor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Regarding the post about bike storage on the wall, the only time I've seen this is when you have someone that has more than one bike (i.e. they are really into bikes, many people here in MN have a separate "winter" bike or both a road and gravel bike, etc.) and they live in a REALLY expensive housing market like NYC or SF or whatever. In those cases, the vertical stands that hold two bikes can be super handy because you literally cannot afford more than 400 SF or whatever. Usually the "upper" bike is basically storage because it's not the one you are using in whatever season you are in, and you switch their positions twice a year or whatever, whereas the "bottom" bike is the one that you are using more frequently at the time.

here's something I found on GIS as an example (lol at the art placement btw). you have a more standard road bike on the bottom that looks to be used for utility stuff as well, and then a super serious triathlon bike on top which will be used a lot less often.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 15, 2020