Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
http://www.farrow-ball.com/colours/paint/fcp-category/list

£75 for 5l and all have stupid names.

They also got you covered if you want to buy white wallpaper at £36 a roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Facebook Aunt posted:

I guess it's safe to assume she didn't have cats? So many not-chipped things on flat surfaces.

Correct. They did have a dog but he was pretty chill. Most of the collections were in the less lived in rooms as well.

When I get a house, I'm gonna paint my living room Grass Bat, just like my grandmother did.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

It's like everything I am and aspire to be, summed up in one perfect object

Good news, TB!
http://www.sisalnet.com/

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Holy moly, where's Subjunctive?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

WrenP-Complete posted:

Holy moly, where's Subjunctive?

Hiding.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

peanut posted:

Under the door frame thingies and Not Caring. 12:00-3:00 toilet
3:00-6:00 wide fancy hall flooring
6:00-12:00 cheaper flooring for this playroom and upstairs bedrooms

That's helpful, thanks. The 6-12 section looks pretty similar to what we've got in some spots now so it's nice to see how it shakes out in comparison.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Collateral Damage posted:

I'm a fan of the colors which don't actually match their names.

I'm Gray Pubic.

"Hey, who's that over there? Is that... no... It is! It's old Stoomy Brown!"

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Monkey Items

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Uncovered the 109 year old tile in the hallway today. It'll be a shame to rip it up.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Arachnamus posted:

Uncovered the 109 year old tile in the hallway today. It'll be a shame to rip it up.

Is there any way to keep some of it, like around the stair or doorway??

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Is there any way to keep some of it, like around the stair or doorway??

Stairs and doorways are all moving, and it needs to come up to put the underfloor heating in. Plus it's not really my style.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pull up a bit carefully and frame it as a memoir of the house's history?

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I think I'm buying a house this year, and I think I'll have about a month between purchasing it and moving into it where I can do remodels. I expect to be in this house for between five to seven years, so while I want to remodel the house to something I like, I also want it to be sellable and not insanely eccentric.

From reading this thread and watching HGTV, it seems like these are the most popular design trends right now:

Open floor plan
Granite countertops
Hardwood floors
Stainless steel appliances
White cabinets
His and hers sinks
Tiling over brick fireplaces
No popcorn ceilings
Words on walls
Shiplap walls
Found/salvaged furniture

I get why people like the first five things. The rest seem kind of dumb to me. Are any of these already dead trends? Which have the worst cost-to-benefit ratio?

Also, is there any reason to do actual hardwood floors as opposed to wood laminate?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I recommend cutting a few floor joists and installing an infinity tub with a giant red wall.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

surf rock posted:

I think I'm buying a house this year, and I think I'll have about a month between purchasing it and moving into it where I can do remodels. I expect to be in this house for between five to seven years, so while I want to remodel the house to something I like, I also want it to be sellable and not insanely eccentric.

From reading this thread and watching HGTV, it seems like these are the most popular design trends right now:

Open floor plan
Granite countertops
Hardwood floors
White cabinets
His and hers sinks
No popcorn ceilings
Words on walls
Shiplap walls
Found/salvaged furniture

I get why people like the first five things. The rest seem kind of dumb to me. Are any of these already dead trends? Which have the worst cost-to-benefit ratio?

Also, is there any reason to do actual hardwood floors as opposed to wood laminate?

Of the list, granite countertops, words on walls, and shiplap are definitely dead, white cabinets and his & hers sinks are pretty neutral (I've never heard of a single-sink master bath being somebody's dealbreaker), and hardwood floors, stainless steel appliances are a "nice to have" but probably not a good return on investment when selling a house. Open floorplan's a matter of preference, but I think younger buyers are less into it than previous generations. Tiling over brick can be done well or poorly, so I'd leave it alone unless you really have a vision for it. The only thing I personally feel strongly about is no popcorn ceilings, because they're gross, hard to clean, and usually hide shoddy construction work.

Actual hardwood is going to last longer (with proper maintenance) and have a little more cachet, but I honestly wouldn't dump any money into remodeling the house for sale that isn't a renovation you want to do for yourself while you're living there. Trends change, and a house with too many trendy reno features can make people suspicious. The house flipping boom burned a lot of people.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bad Munki posted:

I recommend cutting a few floor joists and installing an infinity tub with a giant red wall.

:same:

Women love shiny red bathroom walls. It reminds us of our periods.

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 24, 2017

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Turns out monkey items are a lot more expensive than you'd think. The price of some of those things are nuts!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

10 Beers posted:

Turns out monkey items are a lot more expensive than you'd think. The price of some of those things are nuts!

Monkey business is serious business.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

10 Beers posted:

I want you to know that I see what you've done, and I like it. I give it four out of five giant red walls.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

surf rock posted:

Open floor plan
Granite countertops
Hardwood floors
White cabinets
His and hers sinks
No popcorn ceilings
Words on walls
Shiplap walls
Found/salvaged furniture

If your goal is to like the house but also have it reasonably sellable in 5-7 years, stick to classic stuff(or at least stuff that goes with the rest of the house instead of being shoehorned in because trendy) instead of hot design trends. So hardwood's good(assuming you like it, since it's not going to be huge ROI like Tiny Brontosaurus said), no popcorn ceilings is good, white cabinets & granite countertops are iffy, wall words are a definite no, etc.

Although my philosophy with this stuff is that you should renovate your house to be how to like it, not to keep it sellable. You're the one who has to live in it for the next 5 years, and whoever buys it from you can renovate it to their own taste. It's hard to go "insanely eccentric" unless you're doing something like this or this.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Haifisch posted:

It's hard to go "insanely eccentric" unless you're doing something like this

Does anyone else remember that movie The Game with Michael Douglas and Sean Penn?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Does anyone else remember that movie The Game with Michael Douglas and Sean Penn?

Amazing.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Just to follow up, what's a more classic look for cabinets and countertops? The place I'm looking at has really lovely laminate countertops and '80s oak cabinets, so I kind of want to do something with them.

Edit: Also, I'm in a midwestern city, so our design trends might be like 20 years behind the coasts.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 24, 2017

Sandtrout Catsuit
Feb 15, 2008

They were all over his body now. He could feel the pulse of his blood against the living membrane.
We've been house hunting and we'll probably have to renovate when we find a place. I'm also old enough to know that my tastes do change over the years and are influenced by trends, even if I don't really pay attention to them.

In line with surf rock's post, does anyone have a more comprehensive list of timeless vs. tacky in five years?

On preview, I think medium-tone wood grain cabinets also age well, assuming they don't have stupid carvings or other frivolous details. I've never seen laminate counters that weren't peeling and awful within a few years.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I've decided to go all out and do a 9ft x 10ft accent wall in Draper's Brazilliance with paint to happen on a large 14ft wide wall that will have my red couch in front of it. I wanted to do the big wall, but it's a cost issue and the smaller wall you can see when you immediately step inside my house. Since I live in a shout gun house I think it would draw guests in from the front to the back. Plus I rent so it's not worth the cost.

I already own some prints of some badass actresses in character like Thurman in Pulp Fiction and Portman in Leon the Professional and will pick up some mirrors to widen the room. I have a white TV console/stand with black and green storage boxes opposite my couch.

I can't change my uggo medium brown carpet so I was looking at a rug. I was thinking of a solid black and white stripe to again help widen the room because it is so narrow. Something like this: https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Meticulously-Woven-Hart-Casual-Striped-Area-Rug-53-x-73/9441914/product.html but maybe a flat weave/easy to clean because it is high traffic.

Also ditching the sleeper sofa and replacing it with a comfy reading chair with side table and maybe a floor reading light, which will sit in front of the wallpapered wall. That's down the road,

I'll have to keep up with before and after pictures. I have some pics of that room in this thread.

And I'll gladly take suggestions as well.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 24, 2017

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Just to be clear, when you guys are talking about granite countertops going out of fashion, you mean things like this, right?

I was super distressed to hear that the countertops I like are going out of style, and then I googled them and realized that what I like are actually soapstone countertops, which look like this:

I'm not a huge fan of any of the cabinets in any of those photos (except possibly the black ones, but I definitely dislike the mismatched silver and gold hardware), but I really like the soapstone countertops. When I look at the two styles side, I can see what you mean about the granite ones getting dated; they remind me very strongly of the kitchen that my best friend's parents used when I was a kid in the late 90s and early to mid 2000s. When my folks built a house around 2004, they put in soapstone countertops that are very nice to use, and don't have the same business of granite. Is there an alternative to soapstone that looks less timeless?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I know you're talking cupboards and counters, but I can't look away from what they did to that poor fridge.

When did we decide that having appliances in plain view was wrong and bad, and it was somehow less ugly to try to blend them in with the cupboards?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Haifisch posted:

I know you're talking cupboards and counters, but I can't look away from what they did to that poor fridge.

When did we decide that having appliances in plain view was wrong and bad, and it was somehow less ugly to try to blend them in with the cupboards?

That is such a classic example of legitimate design choices getting mangled by the telephone game of decorating trends. A fridge that truly blends in with the cabinetry can be a perfectly fine choice for a modern kitchen, somewhere where you want to preserve a sense of negative space, like this:

But it doesn't work if you muck it up with stupid "country kitchen" woodcarving and it definitely doesn't work if you have to leave a hole for the ice dispenser. To have a coherent design you have to pick and choose - you can't just throw every luxury feature together in the same room and expect it to work. Ice dispenser or cabinetry finish, granite countertops or tile backsplash, industrial-grade flex faucet or farmhouse sink.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Some people like to put extraordinary amounts of work into their houses and blog about it.
Here are some such examples that are inspirational to me:

Olive Green

The Brick House

Chezerbey

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I can no longer look at a bathroom, and not think internally, "Welp, sorry guys, lady says them joists have got to go."

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
That is a fantastic bathroom

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Too structurally sound for my liking.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

The wood shelf in the shower looks like it'd be annoying

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

underage at the vape shop posted:

That is a fantastic bathroom

Fill in the window and paint two of the walls grass bat and dorkwood.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Maybe. But it also looks like a great place for your shower beer.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Really not a fan of the dead animal or what ever, but everything else is very much my midcentury jam. I want that clock.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Was browsing the site for a nice midcentury furniture store in Los Angeles Motley (Etsy here, in case anyone hates money), enjoying all the nice laid-back chairs and expensive teak magazine-wrangling apparatuses when:

Kill meeeee...

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

My grandparents used to decorate their deck in an owl motif, so that's, uh...that's an extra level of terror for me.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The only thing i hate about that bathroom is the toilet, toilets deserve their own room.

What happens if you gotta poop but someones in the shower? You're screwed. Bathroom toilets are the worst idea ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
just poop while they're in it, no fear