Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I just had a cabinet builtin added to my living room, and I love it (underfull though it is). I wanted lights that could do a couple of colour temperatures, so we ended up with 4 strips of RGB LEDs. My contractor left them on a slow random transition one day, and I loved it so much that it's been that way ever since. Every time I walk into the room it's a different set of colours, like some mutable piece of art.

I hope it's not tacky, because I'm sticking to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, that's brilliant.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

WrenP-Complete posted:

Holy moly, where's Subjunctive?

Hiding.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pull up a bit carefully and frame it as a memoir of the house's history?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Does anyone else remember that movie The Game with Michael Douglas and Sean Penn?

Amazing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Also, is posting an image from tumblr without rehosting not hotlinking? If so this will save me some minor hassle when posting in the future.

Tumblr's CDN should be fine. I'm not sure if they can be deleted by the user, though (often not, it can be a fair bit of work).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Could you somehow make that into one of those Mad Magazine folding pictures?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I know, right? What's funny is that while I understood why they went and did a quick Home Depot kitchen in there, I couldn't get past the atrociously ugly floor and how the cabinets don't go all the way to the ceiling. They just hang six inches from the ceiling. Just cover that up with some trim, guys!

Hmm. My cabinets end about a foot from the ceiling. I don't know how people would really use the space above it, but am I even less fashionable than I thought?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

TheMadMilkman posted:

Well, yes, but not because of the cabinets.

If you flip through the photos, the cabinets are awkward, and should have either been shorter or trimmed out.

Ah, yeah. Those aren't nice. I have a builtin cabinet with about 4" between it and the ceiling, but trimming it out isn't really an option (no upper trim in my place), and I didn't want the top board sitting against the ceiling. I think it looks fine, but...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

tetrapyloctomy posted:

My phone is awful and the lighting somewhat regrettable. The first is truest to life, color-wise. As always, please excuse the mess

Please tell me the dog actually sat for the portraiture session, wearing the pearls.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thank you for the link to Maggie!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

tetrapyloctomy posted:

You're very welcome! I love the hell out of the painting, and was considering buying some of her prints or paintings. Probably not the $200 painting of a nipple, however.

Buy it, then put a safety pin through the canvas.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Oh, man, talk about sad interior design.

That mantel doesn't look centred. *twitch*

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Does anybody ever use those desk counters? McMansion Hell calls them "etsy battlestations" :haw:

My daughter uses ours to draw or do homework while I make dinner.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Haifisch posted:

Now that I look closer, I hate how all the storage that kitchen does have is pull-out shelves. Where the gently caress are you supposed to store your pots and pans?

My pots and pans are in large drawers and it's great. I can get to the ones in the back without taking everything else out first.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Why does the pantry door have a keypad lock on it?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Here's a good reason not to do that hidden fridge thing. When your just-so handle inevitably breaks under the repeated strain of a really heavy door assembly, it's quite the loving production to get it fixed.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It's for visual uniformity more that MGS-grade stealth, but it's still annoying because it's a bitch to open even before the handle sheared.

It wasn't enough to keep me from buying the place, though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SoundMonkey posted:

i guess if you have like a Kitchen Theme or something. do they just jankily attach to the fridge handle (and probably apply weird stresses to it) or do you have to buy a fridge intended for use with one of these?

You buy a fridge with no handle and an unfinished front. It has mounting brackets for the cabinet front to connect with. I don't think it looks janky, it's just a bitch to open. The handle matches the rest of the cabinets.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Youth Decay posted:

The whole "renovation" cost them maybe $5k-$10k total and they didn't even touch the outside or the guts of the house.

If they got that done for $10K including the kitchen, I want to talk to their contractor I think.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

peanut posted:

lol at that fridge just like blocking everything

And the little stool table thing totally blocking the oven.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Youth Decay posted:

I suppose it's cheaper to use a foundation and frame already built than to build an entire new McModern.

It might also be much easier from a permitting perspective.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I got Flor rug tiles to fit my living room, and I like how they worked out. I have more for the lounge area that I haven't assembled yet, but I should.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

TheManWithNoName posted:

What's the edge of these like? Is it rougher than a regular rug?

Not really, it's squared off carpet so it's sharper, but I haven't noticed it being rough.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Maybe something with air jets.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There's a lot to choose from, but I'm gonna call out the bunk bed.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What even is that over the bed in photo #2?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oh, like a salamander. Got it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I imagined a guard just out of frame.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I've been looking for a light fixture for my bedroom for months. I bought one that turned out to be way too (comically) large and had it installed and then removed, so there's a bare bulb up there right now.

I don't want something with exposed bulbs, and I'd like to avoid the foot-tall wide disc that someone recommended, but man I'm getting impatient enough that I might surrender to the latter.

(I still have the oversized one, if anyone in Toronto wants an 18" wide, 24" tall square lantern looking thing. Free for the taking, I couldn't return it.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Good thinking!

I'm not a fan of the pot lights, perhaps obviously, so I just ignore them. I haven't cared enough to get them removed.

When I moved in the fixture was a larger version of

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don't think I'll be doing a ceiling fan, but also I've never seen one with a non-ugly lamp component.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bad Munki posted:

Umm, three posts above yours, hellooooooo

I didn't think that had a light!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ouhei posted:

AllModern has a ton of lighting and usually for cheap: https://www.allmodern.com/lighting/cat/ceiling-lights-c477063.html

Yeah, they don't ship to Canada, but I could probably work something out. Thanks!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thanks!

I think my problem is figuring out what would look there, and not like I'm sleeping in a dining room. Hmm.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I figured the other rectangle hid the TV.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Haifisch posted:

I'll never understand the 'hide your fridge/freezer' trend.

It's a kitchen. It's going to have a fridge in it. It looks weirder if you don't see one. Stop it.

My fridge is hidden (not my choice) and I hate it. The door is so heavy that I struggle to open it. One of the handles broke, no doubt from constant mechanical strain, and they're no longer making that line. Dumb.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Youth Decay posted:

postmodern crap like this

That's pretty similar to my house, huh.

*braces self*

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cakesmith handyman posted:

Apart from looking like it's 0.1mm from your neighbors gutter I have no complaints, if you want soulless but well insulated box I'll post a pic of mine later.

Yeah, there's about 2 feet between the houses, and the roofs would be about 6" apart if they weren't offset in height. Same guy owned my place and the houses on both sides when he tore down two and built a mirror image pair, so at least he wouldn't get fought on a variance request.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There's room between the two twinned ones to do work. Probably we'd have to demo from the inside, yeah. I'm not too worried about it, it's 7 years old and well-built.