Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Speaking of HGTV: http://www.wacotrib.com/news/city_of_waco/car-smashes-into-fixer-upper-house/article_bb418fb0-0e9e-5d5a-80e9-cc659032e3e6.html

quote:

By Saturday afternoon, plywood sheets covered the hole in the exterior wall. Inside, Ken Downs picked through a floor covered with rubble, broken ceramics and electronics, books and splintered shiplap for anything salvageable from his home office. Nearby, at a dining room table built by Clint Harp, a weary Kelly Downs considered how serious the wreck could have been.

In the home renovation by “Fixer Upper’s” Chip and Joanna Gaines, a brick fireplace had been relocated in the office and likely was what stopped the car. The next room the car would have hit, was the bedroom where they were sleeping when the crash happened, Kelly Downs said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Personally a fan of the general design 'style' (if you can call it that) presented in this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Place-Call-H...RJ6SHAJGK7YW2MN

The authors other book appears to be the same sort of thing but I haven't had the change to read it: https://www.amazon.com/Great-American-House-Tradition-Live/dp/0847838722/ref=la_B074Q1MBKD_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1520613075&sr=1-2

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

underage at the vape shop posted:

see you post that as an own but i could dig that depending on how they finish it

E: it has potential although i hate indoor plants and raised areas

who the heck hates a plant

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

1024x768 posted:

I'm looking for this kitchen table and bench to purchase:

Any suggestions?

I was able to find this one which is similar, but there is a center bar which I would prefer wasn't there.

https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/millwood-pines-tiggs-3-piece-dining-set-txr3140.html

From a few pages back but I always see this type referred to as a 'farmhouse table' though that may be the least-specific name in the world, since any table can be a loving farmhouse table, provided it is located in a farmhouse.

Ikea has a few varieties depending on your budget:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80290816/
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00293772/

That particular piece in the photo looks like it was made out of dimensional lumber from a Lowes or something. OR if you have a sawmill (or hundreds of dollars in lumber) handy you could build the entire thing yourself out of solid white oak:
https://www.mattcremona.com/woodworking-projects/white-oak-farmhouse-table-and-benches

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Oh yikes, this reminds me of all the pine ply I saw in the NY Facebook offices.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

The ideal basement:

- wood paneling
- wood stove for heat
- video games
- wooden tv
- wooden chair
- bare concrete floor
- wood

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

I stand by shaker furniture as the be-all end-all of design.

Extremely my poo poo. Capitalism get hosed.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

I really like this peg system thing going on. It looks like small cupboards and shelves can just be distributed wherever they're needed.

Great for hanging up chairs when not in use as well.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Man that looks to be a nicely built nightstand, but I will say I am never a fan of that whole 'make one big drawer look like multiple drawers' thing that a lot of furniture tries to do. Can't beat $10 for solid wood though!

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

extravadanza posted:

Ikea has a $23 high chair that effectively is a giant bowl with clip on tray with no nooks and crannies.

Also replacement trays are just $5. Probably the best value item Ikea sells.

This guy: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/childrens_ikea/18715/

We got one for our daughter and it is 100% an amazing value. The tray requires a bit of force to take off but aside from that no complaints.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Eh ‘looks’ cozy but I bets it’s cold as gently caress with those single pane windows.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Any recommended books on craftsman style bungalows? Or (interior) craftsman style in general?

In the process of buying one from 1900 and ho-boy it needs some updates. I’m thinking ‘industrial farmhouse’!

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

vonnegutt posted:

Craftsman style architecture translates to arts-and-crafts style furniture, and the arts and crafts movement in general. The focus is on handcrafted furniture that is simple in design and construction, usually with construction elements as the only design features (through-tenons being particularly popular). I like Nancy Hiller's book, "English Arts & Crafts Furniture" for an overview of the philosophies and construction methods of the movement.

https://blog.lostartpress.com/2018/06/27/nancy-hillers-english-arts-crafts-furniture-book/

Ah I follow her (and LAP) on Instagram, completely forgot this book was a recent release.

Also, very much joking on the 'industrial farmhouse' bit.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Is it really conspicuous if nobody ever sees it but you? You'd have to, like, post about it on an Internet comedy forum for it to be conspicuous.

I feel like this thing can't really exist outside of an issue of Dwell, where its listed off with all of the other expensive and pretty things in The Room. Not unlike a GQ advertorial where a guy is casually wearing $5000 worth of clothes.

Buy the $6 Aldi hamper, put the other $94 into an index fund. (Or more realistically, only add $6 to your credit card bill.)

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

How many times do you think that precariously angled green door in the corner has suddenly slid down onto the floor in the middle of the night?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Sending love to the former owners of my new house that glued down carpet on the heart pine floor forever ago, ripped it up and proceeded to put down some other carpet.

It’s all getting removed and refinished you fools, it wants to be free.

https://imgur.com/a/Hv4CCBF

And the loving poo poo laminate in the kitchen is going too!

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

I recently purchased an early 1900s craftsman bungalow with a formal dining room and I’m at a loss with what to do with it. The kitchen is just a little small to put an eat-in table there, but it seems silly to dedicate an entire room to eating like that.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

peanut posted:

floorplan and/or description of your household lifestyle plz.

ps. lmao at gamer/robo toilet.

https://imgur.com/a/tHT4Ddp

This is essentially the floor plan, but not 100% exact. There’s also an enclosed sun room off the back of the house + partially finished basement. We have an 18mo old babby so I had considered just making it a dedicated play room.

I like the idea of being able to have dinner parties, but they will likely never happen.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Kase moch posted:

Probably a dumb question - do 2 of the upstairs bedrooms have 3 closets?

As I said it’s not quite exact, two of the bedrooms have one large closet, the 3rd has some sort of weird double closet. I think it may have been intended to use as some sort of utility/spare room as one of the closets has a small radiator in it.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

vonnegutt posted:

Whatup fellow craftsman bungalow owner!

I don't know how big your kitchen is but ours does not have a ton of cabinet space - less than our previous, modern home did, even though the modern home was half the square footage. So we do have a "formal" dining room in that we have a dining room table, china cabinet, and buffet. The china cabinet holds a lot of our regular dishes and glassware enabling us to keep the kitchen cabinets free for kitchen stuff.

Our home plan does not have any original closets - a few were added as retrofits but because there wasn't planned space for them they are incredibly small and cramped. So our dining room also has our cedar chest that we use instead of a linen closet. Having to find furniture for storage was probably the biggest adjustment for me to living in an older house. Luckily, my older relatives have inherited pieces no one wants because storage furniture is out of style, so we got both the cabinet and chest for free.

We don't eat in there in a formal way but because it's between the kitchen (back of house) and front door it becomes the default area for breakfast / early morning email checking / going through the mail. Having a large table is also nice for the kinds of temporary projects that you don't want to devote a room to, like gift wrapping or (right now) starting seeds. I also enjoy having potlucks and barbeques, and it's really nice to have a place to serve food that is separate from where I'm trying to wash dishes or prepare things.

I grew up with the shared kitchen and dining, so it was an adjustment, but unless you break out the candlesticks and silverware it doesn't have to be a "formal" dining room.

I’m coming from a 50s cape cod house so this kitchen is bigger space wise, but still not much room in the cabinets for small appliances. Thankfully someone build a small closet in the corner of the dining room at some point so we’ve been using that for stuff like the instapot and stand mixers. Though they did a real bad job of making it so we’re ripping the drywall off to redo and so we can match the 6in trim.

I’ve spent the last week ripping ugly rear end floral wallpaper off of horse hair plaster walls and ripping up stained to poo poo carpet to get to the heart pine floors underneath, it’s been a real treat.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Why the gently caress is there a viewing window in this shower?

That's the door.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

actionjackson posted:

A friend growing up had a house full of old "antiques" and poo poo, I always hated it. I don't want a bunch of stuff that I'm afraid to even touch. I want things I can actually use and interact with (i.e. a couch I can actually gently caress instead of just look at)

Any antique worth it’s wood can be used daily as a functional piece, provided you’re not using your chippendale dresser as a rock tumbler or something. It didn’t make it this far by being fragile.

I can understand wanting to preserve value but that sounds not unlike having a garage full of old cars he’s afraid to drive.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

The Wonder Weapon posted:

We're doing a partial remodel of our new kitchen soon (as we close on the house in a few weeks), and while it's all a swirl of uncertainty, there's one thing in particular I'm curious about at the moment.

Have any of you tried that epoxy resin to finish a countertop? It's that real heavy duty stuff that you pour a quarter of an inch worth.

This will definitely work and there's probably 100s of YouTube videos of pinterest moms doing it to guide you along the way. My only concern would be how it would handle hot dishes vs something like quartz or granite.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Really? I use satin on all of my non-euro walls.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

SpartanIvy posted:

You have your army of maids clean it up before your next Instagram influencer post or whatever

Job creators

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Yeah just get some ceiling paint and touch it up.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If it’s on the trim you can wipe it off while it’s wet, or paint over it with more trim paint.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

I had frog tape leave a nice clean line for a design I did on a wall and also proceed to rip up a lot of paint from underneath the tape last weekend :(

You can leave the tape on until it dries, you just need to use a utility knife to score the edges so it doesn't rip up the dried paint. Or just learn to cut-in freehand and not have to fiddle with tape, which sucks and just slows you down.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

At first I was like ‘okay it’s got some bad decor but that could be fixed’ and then I got to the kitchen.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

I have the exact same trim/door casing style (this style is generally called ‘craftsman’) and if you take it out I will personally hunt you down and also steal the trim you rip out. You’re lucky it’s unpainted, I’m dealing with 100 years of lovely paint jobs on my trim.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The floors in that picture look fine. Are they hosed up in other parts of the house? If not...why would you refinish them?

Going by the grain I can see, it looks like heart pine. It’s quite possible that it looks fine in pics but does need a buff and coat. My entire house is heart pine, that stuff can get scratched super easy and depending on the previous finish may be worn down to bare wood.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

The trim is likely finished with shellac if its that old, which will only get orange-er as it ages.

I bet if the walls were not as white the existing trim color would look better.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Current living room wall color (https://www.behr.com/consumer/colors/paint/color/480D-7)

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

For reference, Peter Follansbee sells his carved chests sometimes (see here: https://pfollansbee.wordpress.com/spoons-for-sale-march-2018/)

His are a little less garish than the one above but he says they start at $4k.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Love my new vaporwave light fixture

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

actionjackson posted:

Alright thanks. I'll prob just get the one from crate and barrel

Earlier today I came across a $3600 designer desk that had MDF (???)

https://www.rypen.com/artless/single-unit

Love to let my children draw (poorly) with color markers on my $3600 desk

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

In regards to real wood, it's not super feasible to have things made of out single wide boards these days (slabs are an exception) just due to the available stock of hardwood. In larger pieces like cabinets or dressers, it's usually addressed by using frame-and-panel construction. This also helps with stability as the panels are loosely fitted allowing for movement. The ikea table above would also be better if it had a breadboard end to prevent cupping of the top, but it's an ikea table so it will probably be fine.

A good historical comparison to using veneer over whatever is that a lot of nice older pieces only look good on the outside, where it would be visible to the client. Undersides of tables or bottoms of drawers will have rough plane marks, marks from when they were dimensioning the wood, damaged spots, etc. My grandparents have an 18th century grandfather clock where if you look on the inside of the door where the pendulum swings, you can see where the maker had hogged out some extra wood on the side to the allow it to fully swing without smacking the case. It will probably done after the mechanism was installed and he realized he had hosed up on the case size.

My point being that the material being used doesn't necessarily matter if it's well constructed and ~live mas~

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Love that backsplash, have a link to the tile?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Pigasus posted:

Does anybody have suggestions for dining chairs for guests that can stowed away when they’re not needed?

I have a smaller space and need something that can match some pink velvet upholstered chairs with vertical tufts and brass legs.

In my grandparents case they have like 15 extra Windsor chairs strategically placed throughout the house in various rooms.

Unless you want to get like pink folding chairs, that’s probably a good option? Provided you have the space. We just have plastic folding chairs from Costco if we happen to have more than like 6 people eating at the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

You could easily have just the doors replaced on those cabinets. Not cheap, but cheaper than a complete gut.