Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Hi thread, I own a Peggy sofa. I bought it two months or so before all the posts about it came out :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Haifisch posted:

No kidding.

-Super-recessed back (I know it's a popular couch style for some godforsaken reason, but I hate it)
-Arms look hard as rocks
-Cushions don't look much softer

Even the cheapass Ikea couches look more comfortable than this poo poo.

e: Depending on when you bought it, you might be able to get a refund, Badger of Basra.

I emailed them and I can get a refund on it if something's wrong with it. Nothing is wrong with it yet

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Are tile countertops a thing? We had one in my mom's house that I really liked but she replaced it with laminate.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Has anyone heard anything good or bad about Amazon's new in-house furniture brands? I was considering buying something from Rivet but it has 0 reviews on it so far and I'm dubious about the quality of Amazon furniture.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I realize it’s probably just for staging but still lol @ some of that furniture

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/residential-real-estate/get-last-look-inside-shag-carpeted-wallpapered-time-capsule-its-demolished

:stare:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Has anyone bought one of those online custom sofas? I was thinking about Benchmade Modern and Article, but it just feels weird to buy something like that sight unseen, despite the good reviews.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Sirotan posted:

Wirecutter had a pretty comprehensive guide to online sofa makers a while back. My takeaway was most of them are fine, if pricey, but they're all so new no one really knows how long they will last you.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-online-sofa/

Edit: Benchmade is their top pick

Yeah I use wirecutter for everything but still it’s so weird. I got some swatches and a printout from benchmade though so we’ll see how they look in my apartment

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

gschmidl posted:

Dolce and Gabbana are selling their villa on Stromboli due to its classification as a war crime.

This owns actually

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Platystemon posted:

That house needs interior doors.

We need in-thread polls so I can ask: closed plan or open plan

[X] closed plan
[ ] open plan

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

luxury handset posted:

LOVE a classy shitter

I feel like the wallpaper is making this way worse than it would be otherwise

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I like the pink bathroom :)

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

This person was just ahead of the curve on the Millennial Tropical Foliage design trend

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Could be a City thing that they idiotically tried to work around rather than just making their house smaller

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Was extremely confused when I thought those were all pictures of the same house

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

any bar named sword and telescope is 100% guaranteed to be awesome

This sounds like a horrible nerd bar

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

luxury handset posted:

there's a painting of a family with children on the walls, so deffo not rush limbaugh

besides, his new york apartment looks like this

You’d think he could afford some ceilings that didn’t make this whole thing feel claustrophobic

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I doubt it’s all that many times tbh

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Sorry, those are awesome beach houses

#1 looks like a hotel that hosts a lot of boring conferences, but I like #4

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

]A 3800+sf Art Deco/Mid Century Modern fusion house in the middle of nowhere Alabama completely untouched by renovation. Even the furniture and light fixtures look 100% from 1956.

This house would be a great place to have family reunions or something when I wanted to feel nostalgic

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

value-brand cereal posted:

If you bathe in this bathub you'll recharge your pussy crystals AND enjoy a comfortable soak. Now that is saving the environment!

Pink, white and bamboo Onyx bathtub designed by Johannes Torpe

edit oh god wait. Look at this. I can't tell if you're meant to get a christian baptism or generic burial in it.

Hans Verstuyft Architecten

I love both of these

The second one would be better if it was pink though

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

slurry_curry posted:

Had to get to my desk to find some pictures.

First thing you see when you walk in the front door. Living room to the left, dining to the right.

The wall used to be where the beam is above the peninsula.

Looking into the kitchen from the dining room

We gutted the whole main floor to the studs(except the 1 bedroom that I had already remodeled to be my daughters nursery. She was 6 months old when we started the project), rewired/insulated/etc. Don't have any pictures of the living/dining room and its currently a mess.

And heres the bathroom. Its small, so its hard to get pictures of all of it. We put a second bathroom in upstairs with a soaking tub/separate shower, so we went with just the shower down here.

Don’t have many other opinions on this but I looooove the ceiling light fixtures in the kitchen

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

the problem with mcm architecture is that 80% of it is just trying to be frank lloyd wright but without design aesthetic or talent

Are furniture designs copyrighted? I've been wondering why people don't just copy all his poo poo since it seems like that would get sold pretty quick!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

there wolf posted:

They're monkeys. There's a whole monkey servant thing that pops up with British colonial stuff, and I have no idea if it's some direct line to racist caricature stuff or just happenstance.

Honestly shocked that anyone could think it was like, accidentally racist that British people would portray servants as monkeys

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I like how it looks but it seems like it would be pretty loud with all those hard surfaces.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I will always have a soft spot for glass blocks, they’re very cool.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

with E.L.E.V.A.T.O.R.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

There have been some interesting church to apartment conversions in Chicago since all the congregations are shrinking. I tried to find some better pictures but all I could get are these weirdly bad pictures from the developer:

Seems interesting. Not sure if I could do it since it would feel kinda creepy at night and also everyone in the neighborhood would hate me for being a gentrifier or something.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

luxury handset posted:

apparently there's a problem with church apartment/homes where people will just like, walk into your loving house, not expecting that a building which looks like a church on the outside might be a private residence

Well if you're leaving your door unlocked that's on you imo

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Agreed. I have friends who do this. Periodically, they could complain about neighbors barging in. I have minimal sympathy.

I read a story a couple weeks ago about a rash of car thefts in the rich Chicago burbs and it turns out 100% of cars stolen this year were unlocked with the keys in them :shepface:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

Toss the keys into the center console when you get in. Or it has a slot for the fob or whatever. And can't be bothered to pick them up on the way out.

Heck, my 15 year old honda will autolock if the key is out of the ignition for long enough.

We don't know what "100% of cars stolen this year were unlocked with the keys in them" actually means, or if it's even true. Citation needed.

Here’s the article: https://www.chicagotribune.com/subu...vjna-story.html

And the relevant quote:

quote:

In Wilmette, nine cars have been stolen so far this year, all of which involved unlocked vehicles with the keys inside, Wilmette police Chief Kyle Murphy said.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Speaking of wallpaper: I've been thinking of getting some for a wall in my new place but I realized I have no idea how to shop for it. Are there brands to avoid? Good brands? Things to look for other than "do I like the pattern"?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

This place was supposed to be some kind of event space right? It’s the only way I can make sense of it.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Bio scleave? Bios cleave? Biosc leave? Unclear.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Reading this thread has got me intensely stressed out about hanging stuff on the plaster walls in my new place. I've only ever had drywall before! I guess I need to buy a drill and bits and anchors and screws.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

A modern plaster finish is just a few mm of extra stuff on top of the drywall to give a more smooth finish. It's what's under the plaster that matters; if it's not drywall under there, and/or if it's not just studwork under the drywall, that's where you might need to rethink your approach to hanging things.

Fortunately while tougher materials require more/different tools, they also allow you to hang heavier stuff without worry.

It was built in the 20s and hasn’t been significantly remodeled so it’s not drywall under there sadly.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

That’s so many glass blocks

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

El Mero Mero posted:

I saw this incredible specimen on zillow a couple months ago. It was so amazing I even went and looked at it in person and they left out the best room from zillow.

“Local rules require you to log in to see more pictures” <:mad:>

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Went to a bar last night that was otherwise unremarkable, but the wallpaper in the bathroom showed painted monkeys drinking vodka straight out of the bottle and I really want that for my place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Interesting article: https://www.curbed.com/2019/12/19/21024424/interior-design-trends-2010-2019

I think I might be a philistine, because some of the maximalist designs linked towards the end look pretty minimalist to me :(