Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Ben Nevis posted:

Any thoughts on whether (or how) you can get two different wood floors in adjacent rooms?

Basically I've got some golden oak colored laminate through part of the house and want to get rid of my carpet, but don't think the golden oak goes well elsewhere.

Under the door frame thingies and Not Caring. 12:00-3:00 toilet
3:00-6:00 wide fancy hall flooring
6:00-12:00 cheaper flooring for this playroom and upstairs bedrooms

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We have paneling in our prefab shower (wet room). It's Toto's latest model and it's The Best. The floor looks like tile but is actually subtly soft and doesn't feel cold.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

spoopy toilet

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Arachnamus posted:

It's at the main entrance and staircase notwithstanding is vaulted ground floor to roof rafters, around 7m at its highest point.

We have this in our stairwell (catalog photo). It's bright and elegant without being ridiculous.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I am Very Glad I don't have to clean around all those stand-alone tubs. Fireplace but no standing shower lmao.

The chairs are to fill empty space and a classy place to throw your clothes.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

is that soap or a bottle of moonshine and a whole brick of deep-fried scrapple?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I Can't Believe It's Not China!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Ew my parents have a glass and steel dining table and my kid spilled milk and it flowed between the layers and you can see crusty milk and food crumbs under the glass forever :nutshot:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We have ceiling wallpaper with a gentle texture pattern that I chose because it reminded me of tin ceilings. I should have put it in more rooms, it's subtle and doesn't clash with other textures like I expected.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

elise the great posted:

Oh wow, that's gorgeous. Do you remember the maker?

All our wallpaper is by Sangetsu. Sorry idk if they have a US partner. I'm also very happy I put this sparkley pale green in the library and stairwell.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My bff got an acrylic sink & countertop like that and the sink is already stained af after five years. Our stainless sink & countertop still looks good after twenty years with spot scrubs with a kitchen eraser and periodic steam cleaning.

Edit: VVV We have something just called a "kitchen panel" that's also used for walls in nice public restrooms. It's affordable, fireproof, has lots of color choices and completely smooth for easy wiping and suckers and 3M adhesive hooks. I'll add vinyl stickers when I get bored of white.

Definitely not this gorgeous metallic paneling
http://fasadeideas.com/backsplash/

peanut fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 8, 2017

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

How about a better kitchen fan to keep the cooking smells out of the living room?

Our wide doorway from the hall into our living/dining/kitchen area is a 3-panel slider. It gives us a wide entryway without the fuss of a pocket door or the gaping breezes of an outset/barn door.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I don't deserve to live in a house that pretty.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Do you mean that was built as a private residence, not a winery x b&b?! :psypop:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Bookshelf swag & our suburban castle.

Yeah it got messy fast.

vvv as someone who worked in a public library I totally understand how "looks like a library" isn't always good (000s are ridiculous)

peanut fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jul 7, 2017

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Picture boooooookkks never end

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I looked it up and Paradise, CA is right by Helltown. It forms a perfect triangle with Sacramento and Reno :nutshot:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Push the couch against the wall under the windows and put the tv over the fireplace or on the wall of the staircase.
It's a 2017 reality that we need to plan for tv in a living room.

As I post this I'm regretting not putting an outlet in a corner of our living room that looks ideal for a Christmas tree.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We (use a recorder) and argue (slightly) over tv channel priority like it's 1999. The kids are always confused that a live game gets preference over Doc McStuffins reruns.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm using my counterless kitchen wall of stuff to dam the flow of neurotic poo poo posts. That window is just 5cm too high for cheap standard wall cabinets and then my mother-in-law gave us the bigger dish cabinet so we had to put the fridge on the other side :ohdear: I should have put in more outlets!!!

peanut fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 13, 2017

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Your fridge confuses me

Is it the baby lock on the ice drawer? :argh: Stop it, baby!!!!
(Top half fridge, middle left is for ice cubes, middle right is a fast-freezing drawer. Upper bottom (lol) is a tallish fridge drawer for drinks and lower bottom is the main freezer.)

It's a very normal fridge for Japan. If you open your freezer more than your fridge, you're lifeing badly.

peanut fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 13, 2017

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Does the fast-freezing work well?

Also I'd like to talk about how lovely your china cabinet is - such clean lines! The two skinny drawers on the left look really handy for silverware and things like that.

In reality, I just keep my grab-it-fast little stuff like ice packs and corn and pre-cut green onions in there, but there's an aluminum tray inside that freezes stuff fast and flat.

The China cabinet is 80s af in a good way and I can't put baby locks on it so for now, those drawers are just stuff that baby can't shatter like bento boxes, plastic cups and dessert spoons.

Tried to angle this to hide all the dishes and mail... the other half of our galley-ish kitchen. We reused this "system kitchen" from the old house because it got new pull-out drawer hardware about 10 years ago. I built a janky lil table over the trashcans (with 3 sets of old baby locks) to expand the counter space for the dishrack. Our dishwasher is bad and not good and I don't use it.

Edit: In summary, our kitchen is lacking in counter space but has an excellent work triangle.

peanut fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 13, 2017

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That cabinetry is beautiful! God can you just send me like, a lot of Japanese woodwork. I can pay you in dinosaur gifs.

Lol don't get ahead of yourself praising the 2009 Panasonic home utility catalog. If you want jerk off material, try GISing
tansu 箪笥 wooden dressers
shokkidana 食器棚 dish cabinets
horigotatsu 掘りごたつ sunken table
ranma 欄間 decorative partitions
washitsu 和室 tatami rooms

The results from daidokoro 台所 kitchen are... not as nice.

peanut fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jul 13, 2017

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Be careful when tumbling into the 雑貨 家具 (kawaii furniture) rabbit holes!

VVV A+++ cabinet

peanut fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jul 13, 2017

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My grandparents had exotic modern plastic laminate things from the 60s and 70s, not boring old wood. My parents bought the wooden 40s and 50s furniture after the owners died in the 80s.
These things uhhh skip a generation?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Uh oh didn't you guys hear about how beautiful the subway stations in Russia are yet
http://russiafeed.com/21-breathtaking-photos-of-the-moscow-metro/

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Our pull-out drawers are awesome. Pots, pans and oil under the stove.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Mixing bowls, knives and tupperware under the sink. Baking and bbq stuff on the very bottom. Extra detergent and sponges under the dishwasher. I just buy little bottles, not the Costco 3 gallon tub.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It's not a trend, it's modernity! The regular swing-open cabinets are better for kitchen hoarders like my mother-in-law with 2nd and 3rd row stacks of pots under the sink.
Huge drawers are great in bathroom sink vanities, too.

Edit: I was thinking of massive drawers, not slide-out racks. My mother-in-law has some pull-down racks for her upper cabinets that are clunky af but better than standing on a chair.

peanut fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 18, 2017

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Someone mentioned hoarder I Spy... there was a thread a year or two ago that got put on the front page.
http://www.somethingawful.com/photoshop-phriday/i-spy-hoarders/

I would like to see another.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The washer in the kitchen surprised me but makes perfect sense for plumbing and hot water. My friend's houses also had those on-demand water heaters on the wall in the shower like I'd only seen in SE Asia. Is that standard in England or just older buildings?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Single flat slope roofs are very common here now. They're ideal for solar panels.
http://collabohouse.info

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Here are my neighbor's houses. Attic storage and south-facing solar panels. (The green is rice (o≧▽゜)o

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

https://www.engadget.com/2015/04/20/ikea-concept-kitchen-2025

Someone will do it.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That's really well done, the exterior is perfect, too. I would believe it was actually Japan except for the shower :japan: So close! If they had a fabulous bathtub and/or wetroom it would be in the photos.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Thanks so much for this link -- it's awesome!

This sofa is so awesomely horrible that I kind of want it.

And it even has some matching chairs!
https://www.chairish.com/product/289753/retro-mid-century-black-swivel-arm-chairs-a-pair

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I searched "uzbek" to see what kind of textiles were listed and there were a lot of greasy pillowcases, and nothing under $100.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Growing up, our utility room was usually between the kitchen and the garage.
Here, the washer is always next to the bathroom sink, which usually connects to the bath. The toilet is it another little room.

Content: Different kitchen shapes.
https://www.sooken.com/blog/kitchen-reform2/

Rough Translation:
"Open" "Front-Facing"Kitchen faces the dining/living area.
"Closed" "Wall-Facing" Kitchen faces a wall, or is a separate room.

Island Kitchen (Flat Wide Island)
+ easy to communicate
+ wide counter
+ looks fancy
- requires huge space
- kitchen smells and oil spread easily
- mess completely exposed

Peninsula Kitchen (Touching a Wall)
+ better control of smells and oil
+ more fan choices
+ wide counter
+ looks fancy
- no running around it in circles
- mess completely exposed

I Shape Kitchen (Semi-Open) (Peninsula with a wall counter)
+ hides the mess
+ better outlet placement
+ affordable and practical
- not an island!! oh no

L-Shape Kitchen
+ huge counter space
+ easy more than one person to use
- requires wide space, possibly shrinking dining area and/or losing back door
- hard to use corner space efficiently

II-Shape Kitchen (Galley/Separate Kitchen)
+ wide counter
+ clear division of sink and stove counters
+ hybrid of closed/open benefits
- wide and/or wonky work triangle
- not helpful if it means lots of tiny counters instead of one large counter

In summary, the I-Shape kitchen is most common in new kitchens here because you can still look into the dining/living area, but hide your stacks of dirty dishes.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Everyone hand-washes dishes and has a drying rack on the counter here. I can hide my spices in a drawer but the soap and sponge need to be in/around the sink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

An airing cupboard sounds like it reduces wrinkles.