Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That's certainly a start, thanks.

You know those really skookum thick-walled aluminum wind chimes, the ones that actually sound incredibly nice instead of cheap and brassy? Corinthian bells or something like that. I want a doorbell that rings tubes like those. That would be my ideal. Long-tube bells, that are actually quality, thick tubes with some actual tone and depth, instead of a thin brass extrusion. If anyone has a lead on such a thing, I'm set.

Anyhow, there's your derail for the day, thanks again. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh wow, that 1930s floor cabinet telechime, the one that's not for sale, that's so awesome. Not what I want anyhow, but so cool. That's a pretty nifty collection there.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Youth Decay posted:

How not to stage a house (featuring Lisa Frank posters hung with thumbtacks)

Daba dee daba die

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ouhei posted:

Ugh, read a book you normies.

But I burnt them all and now I say, "Ugh, I don't even own a book"

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

And a Fire in the Fire place.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

HardDiskD posted:

Is the TV showing a picture of the kitchen? :allears:

I love it, that will perfectly match the picture of my breaker panel that I'm going to frame and hang in front of the breaker panel so I don't have to look at the breaker panel.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Facebook Aunt posted:

You can also do next level picture-in-picture. While everyone is watching the movie, you can have the game on silently on the other screen so fans can keep an eye on it.

I think you're doing it wrong: if you have two TVs, you have the movie on one TV with the volume up and the game silently on PiP on that TV, while on the other TV, you have the game on with the volume up and the movie silently on PiP.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

You have a patch panel somewhere that you have a single in-wall run of HDMI to, then you have an input switch of some sort (receiver, or just an hdmi switch) for all your xborxes and ploystartions.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

My kitchen is absolutely psychotic and I want to re-do the whole loving thing so bad but to do it right it'd mean moving it in a major way and changing windows and flooring and baaaasically redoing a significant chunk of the house, which is expensive, and I'm pretty sure I'd rather just take that money and put it toward building a new house, as the kitchen here is just a symptom of an underlying problem, which is lack of foresight in designing the place, and slapdash execution throughout.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Yeah I'm kind of in the same boat. Our kitchen doesn't have nearly enough counter space, but it has a lot of space where counters could go. Only... the windows are much lower than counter height, and one of them faces the front so even if we took a drastic step it would make our house look lopsided. I'm hesitant to even put a prep table in there because I just hate obstructing windows for any reason. Luckily the window has glass shutters like this:

So we get neither a view nor a breeze from the windows no matter what position the stupid things are in.

I have six islands.

They range from a respectable 12 square feet, to like 2 square feet. Well, two islands, one of which houses the sink, two peninsulas, one normal counter with the range, and a desk counter in a pocket. It's insane.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Does anybody ever use those desk counters? McMansion Hell calls them "etsy battlestations" :haw:

Yeah, my wife does, but she's way more organized than I am, and it's an interim solution until we get her office in order, which is an actual thing she needs for her line of work, so it makes sense to not have that kitchen desk thing be JUST clutter. Once we get her in there though, we'll probably put a family computer there for the kids, as they're getting to the age for that to be necessary.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Anne Whateley posted:

Can we get a floorplan sketch? How does so much even fit into one kitchen?

By just aiming your "countertop shotgun" in the general direction of the kitchen and seeing what happens. Counter fragments everywhere. Here:

I labeled everything as best I could, and put alpha identifiers on the various bits of countertop for the sake of discussion.

It's not a great sketch and it's not to scale, but hey, the kitchen itself is not a great design and, well, it's not to scale either.

Some notes:

Counter "D" is our junk pile that would live on the desk "C" in most homes. Counter "E" is just big enough for a coffee maker, a knife block, and bananas. The mixer lives in the NE corner of counter "G", that actually works okay.

The red lines are countertops. The brown lines are cabinets, except the table/chairs in the nook and the deck, obviously.

In the original plans, that "dining room" at the far north was a guest room, and the wall was not open to the kitchen, it opened into that entryway, and there was just a wall running across east/west from the north wall of the nook there, with a countertop along it for the stove/range/fridge/etc, and the one big sink island still roughly where it is now. It would make for a much smaller kitchen, but it would be vastly more functional. As it is, doing anything in the kitchen involves doing laps around that square, central island. Two people in the kitchen means you're trying to squeeze past each other between DEF, or having to loop around because the oven is open and blocking the way through FG. If you open the drawers on the east-most end of FA, they touch in the middle of that path.

Here's what I want to do: knock out the rest of that partition wall, make the entire right wall from the NE corner all the way down to the corner of the nook a long-rear end countertop with the sink, range, and dishwasher, and possibly oven. No cabinets above, put in a couple big windows that look out over the back yard to the east. On the west side of that, tall cabinets on the whole thing with the fridge, oven, and microwave. Get rid of the existing island altogether, donate that space to the great room. Remove counters DEF. At the south end of the new long-counter, a small L out from the wall, double-depth so as to allow a large prep area, or somewhere for the kids to sit while we make dinner, and just enough of an L to fit the dishwasher under that part. The closet at the back of the new kitchen becomes a really nice walk-in pantry. That weird angled part by the garage entry behind D gets opened up so it's just a straight bit of wall. C can stay as-is I guess. Countertop along the east wall an extra 6" deep, since I wouldn't put cupboards above it, and that'd give on-counter storage space for various things (toaster, crockpot, mixer, frequently-used baking ingredients, stuff like that.)

Here's an equally rough sketch of what I'd do if I had 50k burning a hole in my pocket that I also didn't want to put toward an ideal house:

It's sort of a galley kitchen. Sort of.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 12, 2017

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh, I forgot to make the closet up north a walk-in pantry. Well, you get the idea.

This is delightful, more hand-drawn blueprints everyone.

It's scary how close this drawing is to the real thing, actually.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That may be but if you drape one over your tv, nobody will ever notice that the tv is even there.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

CmdrRiker posted:

My kitchen is the perfect example of what will look horribly dated in the next few decades: granite counters, stainless steel, glass tile backsplash, and white cabinets.

Hey, we have the same counter tops, whadaya know.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Resin-impregnated compressed cheetos dust.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It should be a big partially frosted glass window door and have words stenciled on the glass like "HOT" and "CALM" and "RELAX"

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

YamiNoSenshi posted:

Roomba. Not a Roomba or the Roomba. Just Roomba.

Sure and I bet you have Internet and play with Lego and drink milk.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Look, if kids are cramping your style, just remember it's never too late for adoption.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

learnincurve posted:

if you boil a kitchen

I don't think you know how to cook

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

A pattern so brilliant it's almost...shining...

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Bad Munki posted:

This thread is super germane to my interests right now and the title is on point. I'll be posting here a little later on with my current project: great room fireplace full makeover, featuring a 14.5' long, 4" thick, 16" deep live edge walnut slab that I finally found a log for, it's getting cut out of the tree in the next few weeks and then will spend pretty much all summer in the kiln. :dance:

Here's a lil preview:

Rewinding to page 1 (in fact, the second post in the entire thread) to do a little crosspost here because I'm flipping out with excitement, because it's actually really happening:

Bad Munki posted:

I just wanted to share a picture of a piece of wood with everyone. It's my project, but I'm farming out a lot of the labor here because, well:

Walnut. It's like 16' long, over 16" wide, and 5" thick. Just came from the saw mill today, took six men to load it in the kiln. I'm going to cut the one side flat (probably the left side in that pic), knock the bark off on the other side, and it's going to be my new mantel in, poo poo, I dunno, like some time in 2018 I guess, I don't know how long it'll take to dry. Once it's dry we'll plane it down to 4" thick (actual). I'm pretty freakin' stoked, this is a very special-order item, to the point where it took several months just for my guy to come across some potentially suitable logs, at which point we actually went to the sawmill and looked at log piles and said, "This tree" and drew a center line and here we are.

That's a whole lot of walnut. :stare:

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Aug 17, 2017

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It's a bit :homebrew: but replace the window, make the sill higher so you can fit a counter under it and make a big L to your fridge, move the sink to be under the window so it gets light and you can look out while doing sink work. Put the oven where the sink currently is. Dishwasher next to the new sink.

e: You don't have a microwave? Put one above the new oven/range location, get one with a fan. Not sure what's above that room so it may have to vent inside but it's better than the current no-fan setup!

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 20, 2017

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

The mermaid floor definitely has to go...

...to the foyer???

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

This is literally Cameron's father's house from Ferris Bueller, right? I'm not going crazy?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

In the movie, yeah, but I don't really know how the in-movie shots may or may not line up with reality.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hahahaha, wow. I mean yeah it's awful, but in a way that is totally self-aware, which I think puts it firmly in the realm of "I did this only for myself, consequences be damned" so I guess good job, person, enjoy your thing, you earned it! Like, I don't think it's entirely fair to critique that thing from an interior design standpoint, as that's not the intent of the installation? Or something. v:shobon:v

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Aug 24, 2017

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

But in the goddamned dining room? What the hell, man.

I didn't catch this part. Yeah that takes it back to nuts.

But like, if a person had a room dedicated to gaming (not gonna say I don't) then that'd be a perfect location for something crazy like that, go nuts.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Agree re: basement. Like a basement rec room. Basically, if you're gonna do something crazy like that, you gotta do it in a room you don't have to see every loving day. You gotta be able to mentally put that installation away once in a while.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The glass thing IS the faucet. The water comes out from between a couple plates of glass. The thing you were probably reading as the faucet is the handle.

Now try to figure out how to clean it!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Look, basically I don't even want to talk to you if you haven't always dreamed of having your own personal tower of silence.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Fill it with kudzu, it'll be great, I promise!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I wonder how stable the temperature is inside? It looks like there's no insulation but those interior logs could just be for effect I guess.

Having lived in a legitimate log cabin with no wall insulation beyond the logs themselves in a place where the winters hit -60F for a month at a whack, it's fine, as long as the fit and chinking is good.

That being said, all of the interior/exterior there looks cosmetic. I don't think I've ever seen a vertical-log cabin actually built of logs. Most likely it's just a bunch of split off surfaces used as cladding.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 30, 2017

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

No need to limit yourself to that type of fixture if ceiling breasts are your thing, though.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Post a pic of the room?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Subjunctive posted:

I don't think I'll be doing a ceiling fan, but also I've never seen one with a non-ugly lamp component.

Umm, three posts above yours, hellooooooo

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I believe all aircraft--even military ones--are required to have running lights.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Aren't we all.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

TheDarkFlame posted:

Really it meams those stupid almost-double width fridge-freezers with a built in ice tray and so on but some companies just use it to refer to the double-door design on a normal width fridge which is dumb and they're doing it wrong. They're still expensive as hell though.

But again, when you say double width, you don't mean, like, double American width, yeah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

cakesmith handyman posted:

No just double the normal human width, so 1 American wide :v:

Thought so, I'm about to blow your mind with my audacity, this how how you double-wide Freedom, no scrubs

e: shrank the picture so you don't steal my wifi password

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 4, 2017