Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm gonna eventually post some pictures of my tiny beige box and ask for some interior design advice because currently my only conscious design choices have been a painting of a cat and a modern repro of an Edison Electric Light sign (Posted directly underneath a 12v LED lamp).

But before that, I'd like some input on terminology. I happen to really like mid-century modern furniture, although what I like is actually the really weird stuff that looks like it rolled off the set of the Jetsons, with the thin columns and semi-organic shapes and disc-shaped accents. Is there a specific term for that style? And does anyone still make it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

...I could afford the $175 magazine holder! :v:

Probably should have expected that actual artistic furniture would have an actual artistic price tag attached.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

That's how I decorate rooms in the Sims when I'm bored with building and just want a functional space, but still want to remember to go back and decorate later.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I mean, I wouldn't do it with a lovely prefab playplace, but if I could rig it so an upstairs window let out onto a rope bridge to a bitchin' tree fort, hell yes.

And I could let kids use it, I guess.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Jesus christ, that place looks cold as balls thanks to that combo of stone floors, window walls, and high ceilings.

This, however, wouldn't look incredibly out of place as some rich out-of-towner's weekend getaway up here in Alaska. Of course, unless that's lived in through the winter so the snowload can be managed, they'd be likely to come back to a pile of splintered rubble where their whatever-you-call-it had been.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

The edges of the room say "hipster loft." The center says "hunting lodge."

I like the idea of that coffee table. In practice I can see several issues.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

I Shot The Serif posted:

Whoever came up with "inspirational virtual update" thing needs to be drug out into the street and beaten to death with a sack full of crystal doorknobs.

The idea is all right, but don't do it to places like that. Or into places like that.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm... actually kind of on board with giraffe-pattern flooring? I could see using it as an element in an entire animal-print room. Zebra-print rug, leopard-print sofa, tiger wall hanging. All fake, of course. Throw in some random shape sculptures and neon for maximum 80s.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I want that... couch? Lounge? Whatever the foreground furnishing is. I'm assuming it costs several thousand dollars.

...If I bought some dowels and a mega pack of paper towels, though...

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Nothing says rustic like giant soulless teddy bear paintings.

quote:

Dammit, why must all my furniture desires be impractical and/or exorbitant?

Yeah, same. I get what they mean now about "pops" of color, but that could use some more. And they've done some weird blending of rustic and modern. Like, I like nearly every single piece in that place by itself, but wouldn't combine that rustic dining table with anything but the reclaimed/distressed wood floors.

quote:

Tag yourself, I'm the lucite samurai swords. Actually, a giant amethyst cluster like the one on the right is on my dream furniture list.

quote:

this reminds me of someone...

If you meet the beatmstrj on the road...

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Metaline posted:

That Albuquerque MCM is my dream house, holy bajoli.

:emptyquote:

It would be the appropriate skeleton to hang my theoretical atomic-to-cyber furniture on. I actually don't know if "cyber" is the right descriptor, like the advancement of "space-age" furniture after the 50s atomica and actual space age.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

SkyeAuroline posted:

Now let's be a little fair - this is Utah, they've developed their own brand of horrific interior (and exterior) design above and beyond the rest of the States.

I could literally recreate that entire living room in the Sims 3.

e:

Youth Decay posted:

The Zillow search term of the day is "Palm Springs modern".

Just putting it out there in the universe that I would like to own any and all of the furniture in these photos.
:hmmyes: Not gonna lie, I like everything about all of those.

quote:

Except deep pile shag carpet in the bathroom.

quote:

"Honey, could you pass me an avocado?"
"No."

quote:

yes those are illustrations of naked ladies by the bar
Right next to the kid's desk, too!

Dareon fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Dec 30, 2020

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
e: double post

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Youth Decay posted:

excuse me what the gently caress

I can understand shabby chic and even rusty corrugated metal bathrooms but the whole "pretend the drywall and tiles are falling off" thing is a new one

I can dig it. It's meant to evoke the age and grandeur of a plastered villa that's crumbled a little showing the brickwork underneath. It's not really my aesthetic, I wouldn't mix brick and stone, and I wouldn't do it in the bathroom (Maybe it would be, like, patio accents, pool house, you know, something exterior) but it's well-executed. Not like the tumorous stick-on brickwork you can find for mcmansions.

SkyeAuroline posted:

You will. I won't. These bathrooms need to be shamed.

So what color do y'all think those carpets started as?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Gonna loudly drag a coffee table over to cover up the sounds of my poopin

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Azza Bamboo posted:

They're trying to invoke the sublime by challenging what it is to be a sink: playing with its form and materials. It's a cute concept, but it's so heavily focused on the individual's own idea that it's almost masturbatory in its existence. This demonstrates no practical skill like the gaudy rococo sinks of French manors, nor does it demonstrate any consideration to function like the typical porcelain sink. These sinks are merely an idea someone had the funds and the contacts to bring into being. As a work of art it's on the same level as those YouTube videos where chirpy Australians decide what next to throw off a large tower. Valid, but vacuous and self aggrandising no less, much like this post.

I sort of like the concept a few of them are going for, but I would appreciate more focus on function. Like that one that's just a kind of natural-looking depression, I could see that as a nice theme piece in a further nature-themed bathroom- wait, shower gravel, abort, abort.

But no, if you made it, like, a constant flow and deep/wide enough that you could actually wash your hands in it, it would be like washing your hands in a mountain stream, and if that's an aesthetic you're going for, I can get behind it. Granted, the only constant-flow plumbing I've ever seen was at Evans Plunge, a hot spring water park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Not the worst use of storage tub lids I've seen. Hell, not the worst use I've perpetrated.