Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Someone trained an AI to create and name paint colors Janelle Shane

What's your pick for color of the summer? Mine's "Sand Dan"

Hard pick between Stoner Blue and Snowbonk, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

surf rock posted:

I think I'm buying a house this year, and I think I'll have about a month between purchasing it and moving into it where I can do remodels. I expect to be in this house for between five to seven years, so while I want to remodel the house to something I like, I also want it to be sellable and not insanely eccentric.

From reading this thread and watching HGTV, it seems like these are the most popular design trends right now:

Open floor plan
Granite countertops
Hardwood floors
Stainless steel appliances
White cabinets
His and hers sinks
Tiling over brick fireplaces
No popcorn ceilings
Words on walls
Shiplap walls
Found/salvaged furniture

I get why people like the first five things. The rest seem kind of dumb to me. Are any of these already dead trends? Which have the worst cost-to-benefit ratio?
If your goal is to like the house but also have it reasonably sellable in 5-7 years, stick to classic stuff(or at least stuff that goes with the rest of the house instead of being shoehorned in because trendy) instead of hot design trends. So hardwood's good(assuming you like it, since it's not going to be huge ROI like Tiny Brontosaurus said), no popcorn ceilings is good, white cabinets & granite countertops are iffy, wall words are a definite no, etc.

Although my philosophy with this stuff is that you should renovate your house to be how to like it, not to keep it sellable. You're the one who has to live in it for the next 5 years, and whoever buys it from you can renovate it to their own taste. It's hard to go "insanely eccentric" unless you're doing something like this or this.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I know you're talking cupboards and counters, but I can't look away from what they did to that poor fridge.

When did we decide that having appliances in plain view was wrong and bad, and it was somehow less ugly to try to blend them in with the cupboards?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Just put a toilet in every bathroom. Maximum efficiency!

Unless you don't have multiple bathrooms, but then you probably don't have the space for a dedicated throne room anyway.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I think I've been reading too much McMansion Hell, because my brain automatically inserted an "An Art" label on that frame above the tub.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I like it in the bathrooms, but it gets depressing and monotonous when the whole house is like that. At least it'd be easy to fix by having furniture & decor that's not all black and white.

Maybe it just reminds me too much of the white & beige hell of apartment living. :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
One of my guilty pleasures is looking on interior design sites and making fun of the impractical-for-real-humans designs they tout:

I loving love bumping into countertops. Thanks, designer!

I love bumping into poo poo in the bathroom even more! Good thing they have all that extra counterspace for...nothing, apparently.

I loving LOVE DUSTING AND WIPING MILDEW OFF THINGS.

Sometimes the designs are just kind of ugly:

Too many weighty elements in one island, too many different colors and textures in such a small space.

I'm not sure what's worse, the trying-too-hard-to-be-rustic lanterns or the monstrosity surrounding the stovetop.

And there are some that just defy categorization:

I hope something's holding it up other than the chains and the drain pipe. :stare:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Question: Does anyone actually put chairs in their bathrooms, or is that some weird staged-for-pictures-only thing?

I ask because it seems bizarrely common:

I'm struggling to think of what the purpose is other than having another thing to stub your toe on/clean every week/generally get in the way. The best I could find is that it's 'breaking down the boundaries between rooms', but that's completely batshit. Who wants to spend more time in a bathroom than they absolutely have to?

Bonus hideous wallpaper I found along the way:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
So what you're saying is that if I make overpriced chairs patterned with fish skeletons and paw prints, I can make millions selling them to overindulgent cat people(whose cats will then refuse to use the chairs).

Facebook Aunt posted:

But if you're going to have a hundred square feet of bathroom space you might as well have a cat chair in there too.
More seriously, I don't get why you'd want to waste that much space on a bathroom in the first place, but I guess you can't make McMansions without oversizing every room in the house.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
In general the less flashy/in your face something is the better it will age, even as the trend passes. That's why I think stainless steel appliances will still be okay in the future, even though they'll definitely have a "yep that's from the 2010s" vibe to them.

That doesn't mean future buyers won't rip it out because "EWW, OLD", but it'll still look okay.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

No kidding.

-Super-recessed back (I know it's a popular couch style for some godforsaken reason, but I hate it)
-Arms look hard as rocks
-Cushions don't look much softer

Even the cheapass Ikea couches look more comfortable than this poo poo.

e: Depending on when you bought it, you might be able to get a refund, Badger of Basra.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 7, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

^^ There seems to be a strange obsession on HGTV with 'formal dining rooms' which is just a way to say they want a big fancy table that they will eat at twice a year and otherwise will just take up space and be a shelf. Every loving house hunters I watch (I watch it a lot at work, where I don't have a choice in what's on tv) they mention wanting a formal dining room. You people are just going to eat in front of the tv like everyone else, don't kid yourself.
I wonder how much of this is from people wanting huge houses, buying them, then realizing trying to use all that space effectively is a pain in the rear end(unless you have 10 kids, but then you have other problems). So you get poo poo like formal dining rooms and bathtub-only bathrooms to use up some of the space. You only use it once or twice a year, but at least you're using it for something! :downs:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

cheese eats mouse posted:

I'm absolutely in love. Sorry about the mess and I definitely need to vacuum but eeeeee

Someone buy my dumb ikea couch.
Is that a Klippan? I'm 99% sure I have that same dumb couch, just with a red cover & fewer pillows crowding it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Bad Munki posted:

I have a great room with an 18' ceiling, I'm thinking the bottom half is going to be shiplap, the top half will be fine-print wallpaper applied directly to brick veneer, and I'll do a LIVE LAUGH LOVE like 65% across the border between the two but it'll be in comic sans with some exceptionally bad kerning in a couple places and maybe a couple letters juuuuuuust a touch off kilter.
I found a wallpaper just for you:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Also builders aren't going to skip putting a coax port in just because a few people might not use it. The most hassle it can cause is making you hide it behind furniture.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Shamelessly crossposting from the Crappy Construction thread:
So how many times has the owner slipped on those? My money's on at least once a week.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
And the ugliest bathroom tiling award goes to...

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

:dance: :neckbeard:

I clicked on the listing and I love how they did their damndest with the first photo to make the house look somewhat normal before getting to the crazy. This is a big old pile of what-the-gently caress.

Annnnnd the Realtor's description of the property:
I know it's a specific room type, but they made 'great room' sound like they didn't know how to describe it. 'Custom library, grand entry, stunning tasting room, gourmet kitchen. This next room is...uh...it's...er...great! Yeah, great."

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, I've never lived in a building later than the 1950's and when I go into new-built houses they feel really really gross and soulless for the most part. Sure on the very high end you sometimes get people with money AND taste building nice stuff, but the stuff developers churn out is awful. Not only is it bland it all feels cheap, it feels like off-brand flat-pack furniture that isn't even Ikea quality. Even brand new the veneer is peeling off and all the cut corners are visible the moment you look. And it's all just so bland, and people then fill it full of the same bland furniture and the same bland arts from the same bland big box decor and furniture stores following the same bland trends.
This is what happens when people treat houses as investments you happen to occupy until you sell them instead of places you want to live.

More square footage! Make sure you have features X, Y, and Z for resale value! Keep everything nice neutral tones so it looks good in the realtor photos! Don't worry too much about what you'll actually do with all that space and those features you never thought about until now!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

learnincurve posted:

Flat pack makes me very very Cross. Most of my furniture is second hand old lady furniture, because I absolutely refuse to buy flat pack, and it is the only option in the UK unless you want to spend thousands on half decent stuff. I'm not spending £400 on a chuffing chest of draws that comes in 50 parts ever again. People buy this MDF crap, spend a day assembling it, and in five years time instead of being royally pissed off that it's falling apart they treat it as disposable and give more money to these companies. Bugger that, if I'm spending £500 on a table then the drat thing better last at least 100 years.
I'm on the other side of the pond, but my experience with flat pack furniture is that it really depends on what you buy. I've had this dresser for two decades and it's held up through several moves, despite being 90% particleboard. And a lot of Ikea stuff isn't bad quality for the materials and price, but they have several duds too(I regret buying dining chairs from them).

That's not to say flat pack stuff always looks nice, mind you, but it can hold up well enough.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

The Twinkie Czar posted:

Those pictures must have come from the homeowner and not someone who understands they're trying to sell a house. They're showing off furniture and artwork they're proud of and snow they think is pretty. It would be all about "How not to stage a house" if not for their devotion to that decorating scheme.
The description feels like it's written by the homeowner, too:

quote:

Very colorful mobile home with 2 bedrooms 2 baths, freshly painted outside, newer counter tops, and 6 burner stove in kitchen, dishwasher, laundry facilities off kitchen. central heat and swamp cooler. roof has be redone recently. Home sits on a large lot completely fenced with three gates going into property. Home has solar that belongs to the seller. there is a well on the property that is connected to solar. Shop with a small cellar and wood stove, and a small shed. there is 2 pear apple trees, 3 apple trees, Big cherry tree, Green fig tree that produces lots of figs. Herb garden are fenced. Lots of RV parking and a Enclosed carport with a garage door. Yard has lots of flowers, and different trees.

It loops around to making me feel kind of bad for making fun of it. They're trying so hard. :ohdear:

there wolf posted:

Also how do you not notice the bar across the street when you're house hunting?
The same way people buy property near an airport, then proceed to complain about the noise from the planes. People get weird tunnel vision when buying a place.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

TheMadMilkman posted:

Here's the intersection in question:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/N+19th+St+%26+Alexander+Ave,+Waco,+TX+76708/@31.5691407,-97.1661749,570m/

I have no sympathy for people that buy within 2 blocks of 2 separate bars and then complain about noise.
Maybe they just saw they were in walking distance of a good taqueria and stopped asking questions.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Design-lie is such a great way to put it. Lots of trendy kitchens are design-lies too. I don't believe you use that pot-filler, pinterest kitchen people :colbert:
After dealing with the horrors of apartment kitchens, I think designers should be forced to cook(properly cook, not just assemble a bunch of pre-made stuff) in the layout of their choice & see if it's actually workable before they're allowed to build it.

I want more counter space, dammit! I don't care if you have to shrink the dining room to do it! :argh:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Oh my loving god, yes. If I'm ever some kind of Mayor-Dictator I would have stringent regulations about apartment design in my city. I once lived in a place where I had to take the handle off the under-stove broiler tray because you couldn't open the dishwasher fully otherwise. So many apartments I lived in had weird useless spaces you couldn't really put any furniture in, yet the bathroom and kitchen were hideously cramped.

It's a pretty bad social issue too, because as housing prices skyrocket more and more people are in apartments that are too small and have to stay in them way past "fun young singleton who microwaves everything anyway" age. I've never seen an affordable apartment kitchen around here you could actually cook a meal for a family in, let alone have a place to eat it.
Bizarrely, the best kitchen layout I've had was in my college apartment, which was old enough(1930s-ish) that it had indestructable terrazzo flooring instead of cheap carpet or laminate. It wouldn't have worked trying to cook for a whole family, but it was the most workable apartment kitchen I've seen for one or two people. The worst I've had is where the counter layout was broken up by the oven & sink juuuuust right, so you could only do one task at a time or else try to balance stuff on top of the burner-coils.

Speaking of, my Mayor-Dictator decree would outlaw lovely electric ovens from apartments. If you don't feel like piping gas in, you can shell out for electric ovens that are merely mediocre instead of terrible. (I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as a good electric oven)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
One thing I really, really miss from one of my old apartments is a built-in pantry. Not one of those 2 inch deep ones, but one that was as deep as a regular cabinet.

Turns out kitchen storage is a lot easier to manage when you're not using half the cupboards for food!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Hide you tv by not even owning a tv. :smug:

Dedicate the living room as a shrine to the almighty computer instead. Die cold and alone like the goon you are.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Jaded Burnout posted:

Alright Captain Culturally Insensitive, perhaps in your socal beach hut this is true, but in rainy miserable English winters you can bet a fire in an enclosed living room is a warm, lovely thing. That said in the reno I have cut the house down from 3 to 1, since it was built when they were used for heating and cooking.
I grew up with cold-as-balls miserable Midwest winters, and we used our wood fireplace approximately zero times from what I remember. The gas fireplace got used a couple times, but it was more for the "ooo look at the fire" factor than actual warmth. If it's cold enough that you're using the fireplace for heat, it's cold enough to bump the thermostat up a notch.

Then again neither fireplace was in an enclosed room, because for some reason we as a nation have decided only bedrooms & bathrooms get to be fully enclosed now.

re: kitchen layout chat. This is my current apartment kitchen setup:

Not bad, but I'd remove the dumb pass-through thing and steal a foot or two from the dining room. Or just remove the division completely and have the dining table in a more open kitchen area, with countertop going all along the back wall.

Compare to one of my old apartments:

What is this poo poo. What are you even supposed to do in that space. If you keep anything on your countertops at all(like, say, a microwave, or a utensil crock) you have basically no counterspace left. Bonus points for letting the ancient yellow oven stand proud, I guess.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Youth Decay posted:

And this I'm pretty sure was built by someone with an actual loving-on-counters fetish.

I'm the out of place decorative pillars.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Stolen from the crappy construction thread:

I'm pretty sure those countertops are war crimes.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Maybe if we post enough other things, the derail will go away.

Have a lovely ms paint of the kitchen layout of my childhood home, which was 100% planned by my parents. You can tell because it was a loving dream to work with:

The walls not taken up by counterspace/cupboards/cabinets are the ways out to the dining room and hallway. God I miss having that much room to work with and storage to store in.

e:

Oh also, small vintage apartment-havers:

This thing was a goddamn lifesaver. It doesn't look like much but it actually fuckin' works. It's basically just a single-rack dishwasher that you put on the counter and hook up to your kitchen faucet with a hose. If you've got the counter space to spare (lol) it will change your life. The only tricky thing is the spikes are kinda close together so you need pretty shallow plates, but you can easily get a couple days' worth of dishes for a two-person household in there, and when it's finished it beeps a song to you in a pleasing Japanese fashion.

The one thing it's bad at is drying, so I recommend venting the steam immediately after the rinse cycle when you can (just pop the door open and closed again) and using one of those water-spot-fighting additives like Jet-Dry
Any recommendations like this for washing machines? I'm fortunate enough to have a dishwasher in my apartment, but I irrationally hate having to drag my clothes upstairs and feed the coin laundry. I'd honestly prefer doing a million tiny loads of laundry if it meant less lugging stuff around and getting quarters.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 13, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Jellyfish seem like a dangerous choice for kitchen seating.
It was actually (kind of uncomfortable) chairs like this, but I decided to capture the essence of them. And by that I mean I can't draw worth a poo poo.

quote:

I've never found a countertop washing machine that worked worth a drat - they don't agitate enough and don't drain well. I have lots of experience doing laundry by hand if that's at all helpful to you though :shobon:
Bah, that's what I was afraid of. I've seen hand-laundry assisting gadgets too, so maybe I'll just try that.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

I can't hate it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

CmdrRiker posted:

I don't think so. I honestly wouldn't even know where to begin. Despite every aspect of the kitchen being well on its way out, it's kinda alright as a collection. I mean, it's a little pedestrian, but it's not exactly offensive either. I'm just going to wait quietly until everything is suddenly a huge disaster.
Honestly I can't see that becoming a huge disaster. The key is that the easily-dated elements are all kind of neutral, and they all go well with each other.

It's when people shove in trendy things because MUST HAVE(without thinking about how to coordinate it with the rest of the room) that it gets dated in a bad way.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

vonnegutt posted:

If you have to sell a house, maybe don't do what a previous tenant at my mom's place did and get high on crank and carve a giant rooster into the plaster with a kitchen knife.
That can only raise the property value, though? :confused:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I honestly like the interior remodel more than the original, but I'm biased against carpet & loud kitchen wallpaper.

Shame about the exterior, though.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Oh wow, I thought it was just a bad angle.

Now that I look closer, I hate how all the storage that kitchen does have is pull-out shelves. Where the gently caress are you supposed to store your pots and pans?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Convert one of the spare bedrooms to kitchen storage. You gotta have at least 500 bedrooms for good resale value anyway, might as well use them.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

I'm alarmed that there doesn't seem to be a coating or something to avoid random sharp edges on the wall.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
That's a house that's lovely to look at, but I can't imagine how stuffy it'd feel to actually live in. Maybe it's because I've done multiple "gawk at this lavish house owned by some old dead dude" tours recently, but actually using anything in that house would make me feel like I'm ruining a museum piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Rabbit Hill posted:

They're hoarders, right? It looks like stepping into an antique store that used to be an old house, so vestiges of each room's intended use are visible but every space is crammed with stuff to be sold.
Yeah, my reaction to the pics was "normal, normal, okay this is looking like a hoarder house that didn't get cleaned out before photos, and...oh, hi mannequins."

It's better if you view the slideshow with realtor's comments, since she pointedly ignores that there's anything wrong here: