Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

In on the first page! I'm so excited for this thread!

Bad HGTV disasters are welcome, right? :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0SQIJNSaWc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Very very much so. Please bring me all the bad design disasters you can find. I eat them for food.

Linked above, I'll find more!

As for what I like, wabi sabi, imperfection of natural elements. Modern rustic simple things, but not industrial design.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Here are some spaces I really love. We just moved, so no photos of our space yet, but soon. :3:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Remember, design principles dictate that any room with a motto wall also feature discreet buckets or wastebaskets for your guests to vomit in upon entering.

The photos that you are posting work if I click and open them in a new tab, but not in thread. I'm not sure if I'm the only one with this issue.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I'm really not a fan of the first 3 but I can see they are done well for that style, but I love that last one. It's so clean and modern but everything has earthy texture to it. It's like warm country brutalism.

Yeah, it's nice, right? :) It's not for everyone, but it fits me/us.

Major things to consider in these very minimal+natural styles are always: 1. which textures to combine? 2. storage 3. how to make animal and childproof 4. quality of materials.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

All the pics WrenP posted are great. They're also all spaces where the architecture is doing a lot of the work. Adapting designs that highlight architectural details into cookie-cutter homes is what makes people veer off into faux territory, which is were design disasters lurk. More than one person has tried to replicate that rustic exposed beam look with paint and foam, and it always ends in tears. Best-case you end up with an effect a bit like an amusement park or theme restaurant.

An excellent point. (Doing natural looks badly looks so bad.)

Here photos that incorporate similar ideas where architecture is doing less of the job (but still rooms filled with lots of light, nice finishes, etc):
(Though i hate bare bulbs, omg)

I'll see if I can find some more apartment looking ones later.

OMG HERE ARE SOME REAL BADDIES

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Patrick Spens posted:

So did a colour palette murder your family or something? There is too much white and grey in the world these days.

Nah, I weave as a hobby and love color! I just like spaces to feel calm, so I think some colors with lots of natural neutrals is nice.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Can I interest you in some maximalism?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

I just had a cabinet builtin added to my living room, and I love it (underfull though it is). I wanted lights that could do a couple of colour temperatures, so we ended up with 4 strips of RGB LEDs. My contractor left them on a slow random transition one day, and I loved it so much that it's been that way ever since. Every time I walk into the room it's a different set of colours, like some mutable piece of art.

I hope it's not tacky, because I'm sticking to it.

It's so fun! PARTY LIGHTS!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Allen Wren posted:

This is the worst episode of Desert Island Discs ever. Who owns four albums?

I think it's like a retro loss edit.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

A friend just showed me this: http://www.worstroom.com/ a blog about trying to find affordable housing. (I've lived in London, SF, NYC, now live in the more affordable (ha!) Washington DC area.)

Here's a picture of a bedroom for rent:

PS Bad Munki your idea looks awesome!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Lake Oswego is certainly special.

Edit: That sounds snarkier than I meant it to. Lake Oswego is an interesting mix of houses, in one of the most affluent suburbs of Portland.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 11, 2017

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Same, I was staying with a friend who had a cluttered "country kitchen" mess like that and it seemed impossible to clean. We made a cake and everything hanging exposed like that got a slight dusting of flour, everything cooking near the stove got slightly greasy, and everything was a huge pain to clean because you had to move everything off the counter, which they never did, so every countertop appliance was glued to the counter from generic stickyness.

I love this one (tho not those chairs)

Also this yurt house is cool.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Progressive JPEG posted:

That first one looks like it was already back out of fashion before they finished the photo shoot tbh

What kind of kitchens do you like?

I like that it's simple and has counter space, light, natural elements and looks easy to clean/see if it's dirty. (I used to be a live in nanny for a family with a 5 year old, 3 year old, and four 1.5 year olds, so my fear of hidden messes is very real.)

To respond to your follow up question: I don't know if this is a good way to gauge things, but what kind of kitchens are in houses for sale in your area?

I also like many things in this photo:

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 12, 2017

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I have started to really dislike counter island seating after too many years in cramped apartments where that was the only option. I think a lot of design trends are reactionary like that - luxury to me is a dining room table and the space to put it in. People went nuts for granite countertops after laminate became the cheapo standard.

I think natural materials will always age better than engineered ones (from a style perspective at least. Ask me about my finicky pet, a butcher-block prep table), and less adornment better than more. There's a similar principle in fashion - 60s styles never fully go out of style because they fit close to the body, and the human body always makes sense to us aesthetically. Styles that obscure the shape of the body tend to go out of fashion faster and look silly, because the reference point is lost.

So I think if you're designing a kitchen now that you want to age well, focus on the design "speaking" to the basic functions of the kitchen - wash, prep, cook. Kitchens that try to "say" "we entertain so much our place is practically a restaurant" or "we're exquisitely modern and only eat things that have been microwaved sous vided" are gambling that future buyers will want to say the same things about themselves.

I read an article a while back about different kitchen arrangements and different kinds of cooking - like baking or chopping vegetables (I can't remember) or whatever. I wish I had saved it. My dad and his girlfriend (both Argentine) are always running out of counter space making pastas by hand. :3:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Hm I'll take a look tomorrow and see if I can find one I love that's less trendy looking. I used to live in a historic home with a remodeled kitchen I adored (except for marble counters) and it was very simple and very classic.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Oh man, trying to find example images for this thread has made me realize that I both love modern farmhouse style done well and HATE it done badly.

Caveat: I hate bare bulbs in all cases.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

stone cold posted:

How do you feel about what Chip and Joanna Gaines do?

I didn't know who they were, but I found this website:
http://www.countryliving.com/home-design/house-tours/g2546/chip-joanna-gaines-farmhouse-tour/
and I hate a lot of it. It looks full of antiques that would crumble when you touch them, be a hard space to exist in, it's really decorative rather than functional, not my kind of thing at all.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

This isn't interior design, but hopefully is still welcome...

I had a bunch of meetings earlier today, now am working on my little garden.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

It's a good garden, friend. What are you growing? Looks mostly like herbs and lettuce.

Thank you!

Yep, mostly edibles! All told it's:
two kinds of lavender, two kinds of sage, two kinds of thyme, two kinds of chives, rosemary, cherry tomato, rainbow chard, avocado, ali express (AE) mystery citrus, AE strawberry, sugar snap peas, basil, mustard, AE mystery gourds, AE mystery ?!?. I think we need more cherry tomato and basil.

The only ornamental in there is lithodora. The other part of the garden has sweet potato vines, a wren's nest (warning: not a plant. baby birds/eggs), and Wandering Jew. I've got hops on order.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I wish I had an outdoor garden! I only have garbage inside flowers...

:swoon:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Removable wallpaper! It's not cheap but it is fun. Be sure to prep your walls carefully before installing though, as clean and bump-free as possible.

Partial to this one personally:

Do you happen to know if you can use this on cabinets?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Hell yeah you can
They use a rubber spatula for making crisp corners, but I've had great results with a plastic bench scraper. A thin-edged ruler could work too, as long as it's not too sharp.

The trick to working with wallpaper and contact paper is to clean your surface perfectly first, especially if there's kitchen grease that could mess up the stickiness of your paper.

If you're nervous about damaging your cabinets and only want to decorate the back wall, you could take cardboard or thin panels of wood and make covered inserts to pop in between your shelves

Well, I know what my partner and I are talking about this week!! Thank you!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Thank you, I will!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Whoa sweet grandparents house, HelloIAmYourHeart. That's a lot of toile.

I am completely down the removable wallpaper/custom printed pattern fabric rabbit hole now. Will post some favorites tomorrow!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Yeah! Tell me more about that chair on the left, and those little buildings on the top of your bookshelf :allears:

Yeah I want to hear all about these things too!

I just installed window film in our new place to (hopefully) keep the dogs from barking at every passerby. We're still moving in, so pics as we get stuff figured out/done.

I actually think it looks okay (I was very iffy about this idea, so only bought one piece so we could see what it looks like), the pattern tiles so we can do the whole bottom if we like.

(Maybe it's horribly tacky?! I think it's okay though, and the dogs aren't seeing the squirrels/bunnies through it, so it's a lot quieter here)

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 16, 2017

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Somebody on imgur posted these as their dream living room and bedroom. I'm not feeling it and I can't quite put my finger on why. For one I think you'd fry with that giant window facing your bed, but maybe that's just my climate. And for the living room I dunno, too beige? Fake candle chandelier? I like the wood grain and color in that room better than the walls of the bedroom though.

Post yr dream rooms

I love natural feeling aesthetics, and there's something about these rooms I don't like. Maybe it's that none of the textures look appealing? There's nothing that I want to touch, or would feel soothed by touching, imo.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Holy moly, where's Subjunctive?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I have some kind of stomach bug and I'm addicted to the house hunting blog. :rip:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Soapstone is awesome, and if you're a super nerd, you can even get acid-resistant bench tops.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I'm the plant trying to escape out the door.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

We don't have our financing together yet, so I'm really just noodling around. I found two houses I love and am trying to explore why I love them so much.

https://www.redfin.com/MD/Ijamsville/11302-Windsor-Rd-21754/home/15188903

https://www.redfin.com/MD/Laurel/306-Montgomery-St-20707/home/10712232

I would love your comments, thread.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I have a new favorite blog, written by another enthusiastic kindred spirit of outdoor spaces: https://goodporchesgreatporches.tumblr.com/

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

As a New Yorker, subway tile in kitchens/bathrooms/homes makes me convinced everything is filthy and needs to be scrubbed. I know it's me but it makes me twitchy.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I showed this to my sister, who suggests perhaps the house is for the dolls and claims no human has ever lived here.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Haifisch posted:

But didn't you see the listing? Clearly an ARTIST lives there.

After all, someone has to make all the dolls...
Maybe the artist *is* a doll.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I'm all for supporting different people in the diversity of their wants and needs. :)

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

My sister and I just accidentally found a shop that teaches you to make your furniture shabby chic with chalk paint (and sells chalk painted furniture). Very much not our thing. I should have expected shops like that exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I don't get what's on the left of that bathroom picture.