Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

underage at the vape shop posted:

My dad used to build bathrooms for a living, FWIW these in nice colours (like these 2) look real good, in bright vibrant colours I always thought they turned out tacky. I'm talking like bright blue and red. ick.

Yeah call me uncreative but I really can't stand a dominant bathroom color that's not some shade of water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

cheese eats mouse posted:

I prefer yellow over blue lights in a bathroom.

Yellow sucks for makeup application imo. But then I prefer cooler light temperatures in all the "workshops" of the home. A lot of people do dim yellow lighting in their kitchens and I can't understand how people live like that.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Bad Munki posted:

I don't want it for home automation, I want it for full light color control, it's for a very specifically-purposed room and I am a huge nerd for the whole thing but I have no shame.

e: Contrary to the thread that inspired this one, the special purpose of the room in question is not to bag females.

:rolleyes: duh that's what the bathroom is for

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

beep-beep car is go posted:

One of the things about "HGTV Style" design that everyone on TV forgets is cleaning. I do the majority of the cleaning in our house, and I watch those shows and after everything is staged all I can think is "it's clear that the interior designer never thought about having dust all that poo poo"

Our house has incredibly hard water, so everything gets coated in calcium deposits almost immediately so keeping things clean and stain free is a priority. The previous owners were incredibly dumb and went with that brushed pewter finish all over the bathroom so naturally a week into owning the house, all of our taps are practically frosted with calcium. Any thoughts on how to keep that stuff clean? Soaking in vinegar and Dawn works great for dishes once a month, but it's tougher to soak taps.

Easiest is probably to fix the problem at the source. Can you install or upgrade a water softener? I know they make filtered showerheads that should at least help.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Somebody on imgur posted these as their dream living room and bedroom. I'm not feeling it and I can't quite put my finger on why. For one I think you'd fry with that giant window facing your bed, but maybe that's just my climate. And for the living room I dunno, too beige? Fake candle chandelier? I like the wood grain and color in that room better than the walls of the bedroom though.

Post yr dream rooms

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Facebook Aunt posted:

There are no curtains on that giant bedroom window. That house better be hella isolated, or the meter reader is going to watch your sexy times.

That's definitely what it's meant to communicate. I'm fascinated by the changing ways interior design (and architecture, in this case) signals wealth. Privacy and space are luxuries now, so aspirational designs wallow in it.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
From a design standpoint, the important thing is that the floor treatment changes at a logical break between spaces, somewhere you have a vertical change as well as the horizontal of the floor. So walled-off rooms are the easiest, but in a more open floorplan you can break up the space with furniture and rugs.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Someone trained an AI to create and name paint colors Janelle Shane

What's your pick for color of the summer? Mine's "Sand Dan"

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 23, 2017

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

MONKEY CHANDELIER

It's like everything I am and aspire to be, summed up in one perfect object

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Monkey Items

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

surf rock posted:

I think I'm buying a house this year, and I think I'll have about a month between purchasing it and moving into it where I can do remodels. I expect to be in this house for between five to seven years, so while I want to remodel the house to something I like, I also want it to be sellable and not insanely eccentric.

From reading this thread and watching HGTV, it seems like these are the most popular design trends right now:

Open floor plan
Granite countertops
Hardwood floors
Stainless steel appliances
White cabinets
His and hers sinks
Tiling over brick fireplaces
No popcorn ceilings
Words on walls
Shiplap walls
Found/salvaged furniture

I get why people like the first five things. The rest seem kind of dumb to me. Are any of these already dead trends? Which have the worst cost-to-benefit ratio?

Also, is there any reason to do actual hardwood floors as opposed to wood laminate?

Of the list, granite countertops, words on walls, and shiplap are definitely dead, white cabinets and his & hers sinks are pretty neutral (I've never heard of a single-sink master bath being somebody's dealbreaker), and hardwood floors, stainless steel appliances are a "nice to have" but probably not a good return on investment when selling a house. Open floorplan's a matter of preference, but I think younger buyers are less into it than previous generations. Tiling over brick can be done well or poorly, so I'd leave it alone unless you really have a vision for it. The only thing I personally feel strongly about is no popcorn ceilings, because they're gross, hard to clean, and usually hide shoddy construction work.

Actual hardwood is going to last longer (with proper maintenance) and have a little more cachet, but I honestly wouldn't dump any money into remodeling the house for sale that isn't a renovation you want to do for yourself while you're living there. Trends change, and a house with too many trendy reno features can make people suspicious. The house flipping boom burned a lot of people.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Haifisch posted:

I know you're talking cupboards and counters, but I can't look away from what they did to that poor fridge.

When did we decide that having appliances in plain view was wrong and bad, and it was somehow less ugly to try to blend them in with the cupboards?

That is such a classic example of legitimate design choices getting mangled by the telephone game of decorating trends. A fridge that truly blends in with the cabinetry can be a perfectly fine choice for a modern kitchen, somewhere where you want to preserve a sense of negative space, like this:

But it doesn't work if you muck it up with stupid "country kitchen" woodcarving and it definitely doesn't work if you have to leave a hole for the ice dispenser. To have a coherent design you have to pick and choose - you can't just throw every luxury feature together in the same room and expect it to work. Ice dispenser or cabinetry finish, granite countertops or tile backsplash, industrial-grade flex faucet or farmhouse sink.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Was browsing the site for a nice midcentury furniture store in Los Angeles Motley (Etsy here, in case anyone hates money), enjoying all the nice laid-back chairs and expensive teak magazine-wrangling apparatuses when:

Kill meeeee...

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Hey how about we post about home design instead of another lameass "lol if you" circlejerk? Somebody going to post wacky song lyrics next?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Drape Culture posted:

Can we post real estate listings? I know it's a little unfair to pick on staging furniture, but god drat on this one. I thought for a moment they were actual black and white photographs.

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Seattle/4106-Linden-Ave-N-98103/unit-A/home/109660593

Yes! This is great content, do this anytime. Good design and bad design are equally welcome here

value-brand cereal posted:

I love the single Art that is attempting to break the monotony of a hospital grey bathroom. Is that a sunset? Awww. It's going to be waterlogged should you ever knock it off into the tub. It's a nice tub, deep enough to cover chest I think. But it's just not wide enough unless you are particularly petite, or just don't mind sitting cross legged the entire time.

Pro move is to scooch your butt down and prop your feet up on the tub ledge like Johnny Five Aces

God those gray fake-wood cabinets are going to be the avocado kitchen appliances of the 2010s

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I guess I'll defend the bathroom chair. The designs featuring one are evoking a spa setting. These are bathrooms you do linger in, and do more than just shower and brush your teeth. The chair is meant for doing beauty treatments that take a little time, like a facial masque.

Also so your sugar daddy can stare intently at you while you bathe in moonshine and scrapple, I guess.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

PRADA SLUT posted:

I need a ~5x7 rug that works with this and a Geek Chic Envoy Coffee Table. (Nothing else out-of-frame that would influence the decision, the room is pretty bare).

I like this FLOR rug but I'm not sure about piecewise rugs. I like that it's simple, geometric, and asymmetrical.

I'm a big fan of Unique Loom. They're a great way to break out of the IKEA/Target rut without paying too much more. But your budget is in my "fantasy dream shopping spree" range so let's get wild.

This excellent high-end rug store near me is having a sample sale and they'll do free shipping, which is nuts. Not sure if they have anything as geometric as you're looking for though.

This one is sort of dark and complicated and modern, but not as starkly geometric as the one you linked.

This one is wool and I think would pair nicely with your Eames chair, but there's no color.

And this one almost certainly isn't your taste, but it's definitely mine so :allears:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
What about something quieter? Distressed traditional rugs ("transitional" in rugspeak) are a big trend right now and this one could give your game room a kind of worn-in warmth.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

cheese eats mouse posted:

Put together a design board for overhauling my living room. I got the wallpaper sample today and will start matching paint colors and paint soon.

Very Dorothy Draper! Are you reusing any existing pieces or will it be all new?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

sharkytm posted:

I just read the first post, and I've got a question. Why the gently caress would you rip out granite counters? They're still incredibly popular around here. Now, poured concrete counters have gone out of fashion somewhat, but granite is still in. IMHO, it still looks amazing.

Some people think they're ugly, but it's more about how they're a very visible trend from a distinct period of time, which means they're guaranteed to look dated eventually.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

That tumblr rules, I loving love 60s-70s design.

Look at that tin ceiling!! Do people even like these anymore? My parent's house has that in the kitchen, I think they're original (it was built in the late 1800s) and I always thought it was the coolest drat thing because I'd never seen anything else like that before.

That's a (possibly imitation) pressed tin ceiling! They were more common in commerical spaces than domestic ones, I think. I love them - the butcher shop we went to when I was growing up had one in perfect condition and I loved how shiny it was. They're great for restaurants too, since they really come alive in candlelight.

Lots of places sell pressed tin tiles, but vintage ones come in larger panels, which I think looks better. Look at all the colors they come in! My inner magpie loves this gold swirly one:

But this one comes in the color we're now calling "spa blue" and I think it would look great in a bathroom, especially with that understated pattern.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Aaaaaa I'm watching Flea Market Flip on HGTV and it's like Prada Slut's house (you live there, right) in television form. Watch people buy beautiful antiques and spraypaint them! One team just bought a great looking drafting table that, given that they shoot at the Rose Bowl Flea Market, very possibly came from one of the studios, and built a clunky plywood top over it so it can't be used anymore. Another team attacked some perfectly good night tables with black spraypaint and didn't seal it, so it'll always be faintly sticky. Good job, guys.

I guess it's a less damaging fantasy than house-flipping though.

No, please...

AAAAAAAAA...

Gallery of Desecrations

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 6, 2017

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I hate glass tables. I guess they're supposed to make the room feel lighter? But you're missing out on the visual appeal a nice stretch of negative space can be. But I also keep tables obsessively un-cluttered and a lot of people feel that dining table centerpieces and coffee-table bowl o'things are mandatory.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Baronjutter posted:

I have a super simple glass coffee table because it was cheap. It's super easy to clean, its just a very simple black frame with a panel of glass on top, nowhere for dirt to hide.

But it sounds so uncomfy for putting your feet on.

Real talk, I analyze all potential furniture purchases on how well they'd stand up to the way I flop on furniture like a teenager.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Anne Whateley posted:

Tin ceilings look great and are definitely popular right now. I like them in homes -- it's not super unusual in New York apartments from that period -- but I can't stand them in restaurants or other public spaces. You have to consider acoustics, and the noise levels end up being ridiculous.

You don't have to use a separate sealant with spraypaint anymore. I've done a bunch of stuff (nothing that could've been nicer without paint!), and none of it's been sticky even in the grossest weather. Technology!

Good to know! Now to neon up some antiques...

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Baronjutter posted:

Spraypaint has come a long way over the years, spraypaint nozzles have not :(

You can actually get all kinds of aftermarket nozzles now thanks to the street art industry.

http://artprimo.com/catalog/art_primo_caps-101

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Baronjutter posted:

Are there stone countertops that have almost no texture to them? More like a solid colour?

Soapstone! My personal favorite. There are options that have more veining, but you can get pretty close to a flat black or gray too.

If that's too dark for you you could look into white quartz:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Bad Munki posted:

This one is so loving fantastic in a number of ways. My only complaint is the front of that sink, I don't know what you call that, like farmhouse or something? Where there's a big lip hanging down the front instead of some cabinet facade. I don't like that. But that's just a personal preference. Everything else going on here though, A+.

I agree, I hate that kind of sink, and I don't think it matches that kitchen at all.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Anne Whateley posted:

That solid black soapstone is a flashback to every high school science class.

That's exactly what I like about it. Welcome to my kitchen laboratory, today we are making frozen pizza :science:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Anne Whateley posted:

I would at least want different edges or a lighter color or some texture or SOMETHING that doesn't make me nervous about not having memorized valence electron numbers

What if I wrote LIVE LAUGH LOVE on all the appliances

Incidentally, googling for illustrations of the concept led me to this horror:

HI WELCOME TO MY PINK LIVING ROOM I KNOW A DEAD PERSON DO YOU KNOW ANY DEAD PEOPLE WE'LL ALL DIE SOMEDAY WANNA DO DECOUPAGE WITH THESE OLD MAGAZINES I PUT ON THE FLOOR?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Progressive JPEG posted:

Does soapstone change color when wet?

Not that I've seen. The reason soapstone is used for lab tables and herbivorous dinosaur dream kitchens is it's incredibly dense and non-porous.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Bad Munki posted:

I have a great room with an 18' ceiling, I'm thinking the bottom half is going to be shiplap, the top half will be fine-print wallpaper applied directly to brick veneer, and I'll do a LIVE LAUGH LOVE like 65% across the border between the two but it'll be in comic sans with some exceptionally bad kerning in a couple places and maybe a couple letters juuuuuuust a touch off kilter.

And plastic sheeting on the floor, I assume? Or does that ruin the surprise.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Arachnamus posted:

I have a doorway between what will be a large open kitchen diner and a moderate "snug" living room with a fire. I need a proper door to keep the heat in and the kitchen smells out. Unfortunately the opening is 1100mm which is too wide for the largest size of the type of door I'm buying and too small for two of the smallest.

One option is to stud out the difference and reduce it to a normal opening, but I'm casting around for better ways to make use of it since it's there, e.g. filling the sides with insulated glass.

Thoughts?

You could get a custom door made to fit the space, but before you do that check the path the door will move through - will your snug living room start to feel cramped if you have to leave space for an oversized door to swing around?

Sliding barn doors are trendy and easy to adapt to unusual sizes, but echhhhhhhhhh... Right up there with shiplap paneling and vessel sinks for me.

What about studding it out to a normal door width and then putting a skinny built-in bookcase in the new wall space? It could be books on one side and spices on the other.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ulmont posted:

I hadn't realized this was a thing but I may have to do a sliding barn door now...I have a space that really needs a sometimes door option and a pocket would be severely impractical.

There are non-terrible ones that are less barn-y

I GUESS.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Subjunctive posted:

Could you somehow make that into one of those Mad Magazine folding pictures?

The Al-ighty Ollar?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Collateral Damage posted:

All of these look pretty bad imo. Not the doors themselves, but they kept the standard door trim which clashes with the barn door and makes it look like the door was just tacked on like an afterthought.

Yeah that's a big reason why I hate barn doors. They work a little better in industrial spaces that don't have that kind of trim, but they're still dumb even there.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tricky Ed posted:

In my opinion, full custom cabinetry is usually* a colossal waste of money. Custom kitchen cabinetry is one of those markets that sets its own price and designers love using custom cabinets because they make laying out a kitchen way easier for them. 80% of your cabinets are going to be standard sizes, but you'll pay full custom price for the whole batch. They take forever to be built and shipped to you, and a full kitchen of them can cost as much as a car.

If you have a good carpenter and think ahead as you plan your kitchen, you can customize stock or RTA cabinets to do almost anything you want to do and save a ton of money over custom built ones. You'll pay more on the installation, but the materials will be comparable, and you won't have paid $30,000 for a bunch of wooden boxes that you use to store your blender and Honey Bunches of Oats.

*There is a point where custom is expected and semi-custom will cause your house to lose value -- that's usually somewhere around twice the "average" home price in your area, or when the house is old enough to have custom millwork throughout the rest of the home and stock cabinets will stick out. If that's where you are, congratulations, you don't need advice on how to save money!

This is a great post - can you tell us more about customizing stock cabinets? I imagine swapping out doors and hardware isn't too hard, but can you do more?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Progressive JPEG posted:

Fan was last seen in an IKEA warehouse

Oh, you wish

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

peanut posted:

Bookshelf swag & our suburban castle.

Yeah it got messy fast.

vvv as someone who worked in a public library I totally understand how "looks like a library" isn't always good (000s are ridiculous)

Tell me more about that built-in den you have there on the left? Is that custom? Really bold color choices. I love the interior window as a nod to early 19th c. urban breezeways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I think all of us that grew up in the beige shoebox era of home design are really drawn to homes with built-in storage and actual architectural details. So many textures! So much shelving!