Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

For those who love generally interesting-looking houses House Hunting is the best tumblr.

She always finds these incredible MCM time-capsule houses for sale

They're always super cheap and probably get "renovated" into boring HGTV clones shortly after

But my favorite is THIS HOUSE

(selling for $215,000 btw, if I could stand living in Arizona I'd totally buy it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

House Hunting also found what may be the ugliest house ever, in Iceland of all places

"Scandinavian design" developed as a reaction to this house

And they're trying to sell it for the equivalent of $1.8million US.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Anyone else remember The Cats' House? If you're gonna go full crazy cat lady (or crazy cat couple in this case) at least make it aesthetically pleasing.

They sold the house in 2013 and the new owners apparently painted it all white and took down the decor and catwalks :(

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Arachnamus posted:

Expensive is relative in this project, we've already rebuilt several brick walls in stud for the sake of convenience, but a £1200 carpenter job on a custom door isn't workable. The £500 ones you linked are closer to doable. I wouldn't mind carrying some more light through that side of the house.

I'll have a chat with the builder on monday about building it out as kitchen larder shelving and see what the cost would be compared to that supplier.

Yeah bespoke double doors might be your best option. Although 1100mm is a standard size for shower doors, so you could get creative and use that!

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

I have to admit, on review I'm mildly disappointed that there's not a single suit of armor to be found in any of those photos.

http://www.fairstone.com/property/or/portland/97231/-/14125-nw-germantown-rd/57d1fa7e30e08a73a0000144/

wait for it...

wait for it...

It was built in 2014, listed for sale in 2015 (hence the date on the MLS photos) at $7.175 million and 2 years later they're still trying to sell the monstrosity.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

That's gorgeous though, and I appreciate that they were able to include a couple big ol' comfy-looking couches in an otherwise ~modern~ living room. The empty library shelving gives it an almost Brutalist vibe.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Amina Mucciolo's instagram is fabulous. Gotta love the commitment to an aesthetic.

Anne Whateley posted:

Wow, there's one deeply buried detail:

Is he really on board? Why is he not in the pics? More info in general plz

Her husband has an instagram as well
They're pretty cute together tbh
https://www.instagram.com/p/BPqQtICglnr/

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

How not to stage a house (featuring Lisa Frank posters hung with thumbtacks)

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

One thing about crappy Edwardian San Francisco apartments is that they tend to have lots of nice built-in cabinetry.

At some point after the 1910s/20s builders stopped putting real pantry space in apartments.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Anne Whateley posted:

In what way is this a crappy apartment???

(I'm not that into glass-fronted cabinets, but that seems like a recent change, and wow do I love built-in storage)

Those are three different apartments.

I don't know about the individual places (just plucked them off Craigslist) but besides lacking "modern" amenities (vent hoods, disposals, outlets, etc), being in very old buildings they often have maintenance/pest issues that go unresolved because the landlords know they can rent them in a split-second for $2500+ without doing anything.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

This topic reminded me of the ciassic Kitchen Counters You Could gently caress On tumblr.

This is pretty much my ideal kitchen layout. Though I don't need an island quite this big.

And this I'm pretty sure was built by someone with an actual loving-on-counters fetish.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

hailthefish posted:

:stare:

Those cabinetmakers were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.

The first one is just your standard "oh ha ha we entertain all the time! See our giant fancy kitchen for entertaining?" kitchen that looks big and fancy with the two sinks and everything but would still be kinda awkward to actually cook in.

The second one... you could have an orgy up there.

See, the first one keeps the work triangle close together and the areas for food storage/prep, cooking and cleanup flow smoothly. A lot of fancy rear end kitchens have the fixtures like 10 feet from each other.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

How to ruin a house the Portland way

Before:

After:
This skinny wooden columns trend needs to stop.

Who needs kitchen cabinets anyway?

RIP built-in bookcase

Sold for $303,000 in 2015 "as-is", was given a facelift (along with doubling the size by adding a lower level apartment and bumping out the attic) was put back on the market recently for $721,000.

The remodel isn't exactly bad (except for the kitchen), i just feel like they could've kept more of the character of the house.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

SoundMonkey posted:

i wish there was a pic of what they'd done with the attic(?) space because it looked Not Great and i was wondering if they'd fixed it at all

The second-to-last photo is part of the old attic, they just added a huge mega-dormer to it to increase the square footage. It definitely needed fixing up (that flooring ew) but I'm just not a fan of plain off-white walls + light brown laminate everywhere. And I really like built-in things so I wish they would've kept or put in some shelving at the end.

It's mostly the kitchen I hate. No upper cabinets might make it look ~clean~ and ~minimalist~ but they've gotten rid of like half the storage space.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

tetrapyloctomy posted:

We have no closets on our ground floor, and no common-area closets ... anywhere, come to think if it. "Where do we keep the vacuum?" is a more complicated question than it has any right to be when the answer is either "in the storage area in the basement" or "in the one closet in the attic" ... and literally every floor needs at least occasional vacuuming. But it's also an issue with kitchen storage -- we just don't have room for everything, and we use pretty much all of it.

You can buy a free-standing cupboard(s)
https://www.wayfair.com/kitchen-tabletop/sb0/food-pantries-c246777.html
There are probably some available way cheaper on Craigslist

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I actually LOVE this house, but it may be the most over-the-top Queen Anne I've ever seen. Most of this is obviously not original but it is spectacular all the same.

So many McMansions attempt this entry hall, this is how it's done for real

You aren't a real aristocrat unless you have your Live Laugh Loves in stained glass

The entire ceiling (including the beams) is trompe l'oleil. The real ceiling angle is cut off above the window.

Can be yours for $599,000. Gotta love Midwestern home prices.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Baronjutter posted:

I'm the loving queen anne stained glass version of "live laugh love" wall words.
I really don't like this house. I've seen Queen Anne done tastefully inside and out but this ain't it.

If a Queen Anne is "tasteful" they're doing it wrong IMO. It should be ornate and extravagant and have all the little Victorian idiosyncrasies turned up to 11. I bet the original builders would have approved o most of the design choices of the house above.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

This MCM house is awesome

But idk what to think about the open-plan bathroom situation

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Haifisch posted:

You missed these very important saloon doors.

That's a different bedroom. There are two bedrooms shown with open bathrooms. Here's the other one

I think those saloon doors separate two other bedrooms or a bedroom and an office. It's a big house.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Ouhei posted:

See, that's dope as hell but still needs a poo poo ton of work before it'd be something I'd live in. I hate old kitchens and bathrooms. Basically I love the bones, hate like 75% of the finishes.

Well, that house is only $249,000. Partly because it's in bumfuck nowhere Illinois, but also because it's mostly original. The more expensive MCM houses have updated finishes, though often they put in really generic kitchens/baths that don't go with the rest of the house.
Example:
Oh look a nice little mid-century houwait, what's that in the corner?

Oooooh noooooo

At least pick the right shade of wood ffs

There's also a big difference between architect-designed showpiece houses and your average mid-century ranch. The bathrooms in this house are awesome.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

And now I present the ultra-rare McMidCenturyModern. This house was built in 2016.
All those 50s houses had one roofline, let's put 7 on ours.

Backside is uglier.

Despite the attempt to be ~modern~ the telltale obnoxious talll foyer of the McMansion remains. That sideboard ain't foolin nobody. Also "an art" x7.

gently caress your Noguchi coffee side table

Oh god are wood-veneer fridges making a comeback

"If we put MCM furniture in the house maybe people will believe us"

Nice Ikea rug

"Hippies use back door" Get it? Because it's the 1960s? lolololol

More an arts scavenged from Etsy

Put a teepee in here to show that our un-PC mid-century children live here. Said mid-century children must share their room even though the house is 5700 sf.

A rug so nice they staged it twice

At some point they gave up on the MCM decor and just put in more generic poo poo

Spy on your fellow McMansionites from your tiny tub

The whole thing is just so half-assed it makes me sad

There are so many lovely renovated real MCM houses that are better built and for a fraction of the price of this, I just don't get it.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

vonnegutt posted:

Ugh but those houses are used. And so small. Most of them don't even have a walk-in closet off the master suite. How could anyone live there?

Richard Neutra's gorgeous, well-renovated Pitcairn House is for sale and that's 6300 sf. Though it's been on the market for 3 years and the price has dropped from $6m to $2.5m so I guess rich people would rather have the McMCMs.

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 21, 2017

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I loooove this house and especially its wallpaper

Wallpaper close-up

VINTAGE ROTARY TOILET PHONE Y'ALL

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

SoundMonkey posted:

tag urself im the flame-emblazoned guy fieri-rear end ceiling fan

I'm the mime watching you gently caress

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I was just saying to myself "I really want to procrastinate by looking at cool houses, wonder if anyone posted something interesting in the design thread" and here you are.

Okay, are you ready to see the ugliest kitchen ever?
Only thing worse than a tiny useless sink is a tiny useless sink that is nowhere near any food prep areas.

How many of these cabinets do you think they actually use? I bet only the one next to the terribly-camouflaged fridge.

Rest of the place is pretty fugly too.

And now a palate cleanser: Look at this cute old house! Sold furnished and can be yours for $75,000.

Wonder what this room used to be before they added indoor plumbing to the house

These folks probably do more cooking in this kitchen in a month than the owners of that fugly kitchen above do in a year.

More neat houses
This is my kind of mansion
Weird combination of mid-century and rustic cabin styles. So ugly it's cute
Chestnut-wood house with old wide shiplap walls and wide plank floors (can't find that size lumber anymore) Needs some work but you literally couldn't build this house today.
You're in the jungle baby, you're gonna dieeeeee

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Here is "Asian inspired" design done right IMO. Helps that it's in an amazing location of course.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

PRADA SLUT posted:

So GeekChic went out of business so I'm in the market for a new coffee table. I really like the Noguchi but want to explore some other options first. I'm looking for something more "interesting"-looking, so no boring-rear end suburban coffee tables.

It needs to be tall enough that a Roomba can go under it (like six inches of clearance), or positioned such that it doesn't need to be cleaned underneath.
Chairish is awesome for finding neat vintage furniture. Shipping can get nuts so search by your location.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Check out this atomic lakehouse y'all. It's like super-low budget Lautner.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Lazlo Nibble posted:

Imagine trying to furnish the rest of the house, where no two walls meet at a 90° angle. :catstare:
Roundhouses were a trend among modernist architects in the 60s and 70s and they used buit-ins (like the seating in the house above) but also didn't put much furniture against the walls. With enough open space it didn't seem too bad.
Some restoration inspiration!
A 1968 house in Colorado by Don Price
Leon Meyer 1967 Nolan House, one of 6 round houses he built
Gilbert Spindel's Geodesica, nicely renovated with before-and-after photos
Richard Foster's 1968 spinning Round House and more photos

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jul 30, 2017

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

SoundMonkey posted:

22" seems kinda uncomfortable assuming the bed is being boarded from both sides

other things that are 22" and feed a bit cramped walking through: the opening at the top of my drat stairs

My apartment building (built in 1817) has its original double doors at the entry and each door is extremely narrow, like 18-20" at most. There's an original set of stairs to the attic that is similarly narrow. People were just smaller back in the day I suppose.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

My current design pet peeve is ~minimalist~ kitchens. Like this one. How can you cook here? Where do you put food? And dishes? And cookware besides your stupid teapot collection?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Suspect Bucket posted:

It is the Dada kitchen. It rejects the logic, reason, and aestheticism of modern capitalist society, instead expressing nonsense, irrationality, and anti-bourgeois protest. DOWN WITH THE CAPITALIST KITCHEN. ALL MEALS WILL BE THROWN AT YOU IN CENTRALIZED DINING HALLS ALONG WITH INTERMITTENT MUMBLINGS OF SELECT DADIST WORKS.

Also, it looks like a rendering. So hopefully it does not really exist.

Oh no, it is very real.. And worse, the house (which was built in 1902, fully renovated in 1999 and had won awards for its previous renovation) was sold for $459k back in December, then was given a "modern farmhouse aesthetic" which included this dumb kitchen and now they're trying to sell the thing for $735k. Good loving luck.

The house needed some updating but they changed it into the most bland boring white-and-blue bullshit ever.

This was a perfectly good kitchen drat it!

Lol let's get rid of all the storage in the bath because piling poo poo on the counter looks way neater than putting it in drawers and cabinets. Also let's take away the towel bars while we're at it, nobody needs those right?

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 1, 2017

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I see a red door and I want it painted white,
No colors anymore I want them to turn white.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

cheese eats mouse posted:

Paneling like that reminds me of our old houses that need to be gutted. It screams I need a renovation to me.

The house needed updating, yes (although I actually like old wood paneling). But it didn't deserve to be turned into a generic white ~modern farmhouse~. It also makes no sense to me that people can take a house, cover all the details in white paint, remove the drawers from the cabinets and then pretend it's worth $300k more. The whole "renovation" cost them maybe $5k-$10k total and they didn't even touch the outside or the guts of the house.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

PRADA SLUT posted:

It's not intended to be.

The point I make is that if you want that style of decor and design, it's not out of your reach just because you have kids or have a bunch of cookware. It would be a bigger change than just switching some furniture, but it's entirely attainable if it's what you really want.

Not having any doors or closable drawers on your bottom cupboards is a serious safety hazard if you have little kids roaming around. That's my biggest issue with the kitchen, I don't need much storage space but having everything (even a small amount of stuff) out in the open like that doesn't look minimalist or even stylish, it's just a mess.

Also that stove needs a hood and a vent fan.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Less arguing, more terrible kitchens

Real estate ad copy: "Enjoy the large, industrial-look kitchen"

Don't lie, you just tore out the old kitchen and didn't bother putting in a new one and now you're trying to sell a house for $700k without a drat kitchen.

Normally I like old ugly kitchens, but this is too ugly even for me

On an unrelated note WHY ARE YOU STAGING A HOUSE WITH PALLET WOOD FURNITURE

WHY

On an even more unrelated note, this is an amazing fake ad for a real house

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Doctor Butts posted:

The house we're moving into has a kitchen that just consists of the countertop that holds a sink and a few drawers, stove/oven, and fridge. So, I've been looking at cabinetry from places like Home Depot.

Unfinished oak cabinets aren't that expensive and if they really need to be fancied up you just paint+distress them if you want that dumb farmhouse look.

Just saying that dude cheaped the gently caress out on that kitchen (or blew too much cash and that sink at a going-out-of-business-sale for a restaurant), and that kinda makes me worried to spend 700k on that poo poo. Seeing things like that make you take a second look at other things and wonder where other corners have been cut.

For instance, what were these rooms before it was one big kitchen, and what's above the kitchen? You look at the walls and the ceiling, it looks like a wall was taken out somewhere. Was there a hallway there?

Also, I finally found the refrigerator. It's in the second picture in another room. Also also, if you're selling a house for 700 loving thousand dollars, at least make sure all the loving lights are working in your little chandelier you rear end in a top hat.

The weird thing is that the rest of the house is pretty normal modern renova-

Wait what is the flooring? Is it bare concrete? Did they rip out the old carpet and forget to put in laminate?

And that's unfinished wood above the...balcony?

did they just paint over the old lovely siding back here

oh hey they didn't bother renovating the "family room" either

This is the worst layout. Gotta walk up the stairs through the not-kitchen around to the bathroom if you gotta piss in the middle of the night. There's loving plumbing down there in the suspiciously large laundry room you couldn't add a toilet??? Also the garage opens to the bedroom why

Holy poo poo someone cut corners hard here

TheMadMilkman posted:

We have an obscenely wealthy family friend who had a washer and dryer installed in their master closet. It was so convenient that they converted their actual laundry room into a sauna.

It's a very large house.
My laundry is in my bedroom too but it's not because I'm rich the apartment is just too tiny (461sf) to put it elsewhere. The bedroom is like 9x9, it fits a double bed, a nightstand and two 2'-wide closets (one with the stacked laundry) with little room to spare. No room in the~ 4x6 bathroom or the kitchen-living room combo. It's actually a nice apartment for 1 person but you have to get creative with storage.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Original real estate ad said there was a "custom children's playroom" so I assume that's what that is.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I call this aesthetic "Grandma Gothic"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Enfys posted:

I sort of like the idea of a spice cave.

I can't figure out how to store my spices so that they are both tidy and also easily accessible.

Option 1: fuckin' magnets

Option 2: those tilted drawer inserts that you can buy or make

Option 3: rip out your cabinet doors and go mason jar crazy (I actually like this kitchen but drat it looks like Pinterest threw up on it)