Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Amelie 2 set design lookin good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

I have a cousin who moved to LO. Not wealthy, but reasonably well-to-do. The house they bought has a climate controlled wine cellar that can hold something like 300 bottles and is bigger than my apartment's master bedroom.

I once had a coworker who was really into wine that owned a small house in San Jose. He had insured the contents of his wine cellar instead of the house itself, with the reasoning that any insurance payout would effectively cover everything else

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

That first one looks like it was already back out of fashion before they finished the photo shoot tbh

Followup question: What sorts of styles actually last? We're thinking about doing a large remodel in a couple years and I'm always worried that whatever we put in will be out of fashion shortly afterwards

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 12, 2017

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

The chandelier made of antlers is a little much. Seems like you'd also probably have a hard time cleaning leaves/moss off the outside of that window.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Looking at it more there's a bunch of stuff in that room that just looks off to me (as someone who himself lives in a small place in the woods):
- I wonder what sort of heating they've got with that huge stone wall and what appears to be concrete floor
- The polished wall to the left feels really out of place given the textures everywhere else?
- Shouldn't store too much wood inside like that, that's gonna bring in critters
- The diagonal beams on the upper right look like real overkill, the visual weight just gives me the illusion that they're gonna somehow get dislodged and slide off to the right

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

The wood shelf in the shower looks like it'd be annoying

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Haifisch posted:

I hope something's holding it up other than the chains and the drain pipe. :stare:

- That sink isn't going to work with an aerator filter thingy, hope they enjoy wasting water :ca:
- Good job with the oversized cheater plate on the outlet
- I assume the jars are where the multitude of required cleaning supplies go?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Never will I ever again live in a place without a dishwasher, or at least enough counter space for one of those countertop dishwashers.

This is on my mind because my husband and I are fixing on moving this summer or fall depending on when we find a good place to rent.

You can also get a freestanding/"portable" dishwasher that hooks up onto the sink. It's what we're using until we get around to remodeling our lovely tiny kitchen. If I'd known it was an option back when I was renting, I'd have just gone with the cheapest place available and then thrown one of these in there to get an instant dishwasher.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I really like this ceiling, even though I know it'll make the room look dark all the time. The workmanship on that couch and coffee table also looks great. Everything else has gotta go.

I wonder why they left the shades closed for the picture.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I wonder what they used for the off-camera light source to the upper left

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Corian in nondescript colors imo, preferably just in a flat color

e: im jealous of how easy to clean this must be:

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 8, 2017

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Does soapstone change color when wet?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Fan was last seen in an IKEA warehouse

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Nothing makes me sadder than to see historic homes from a definite time period that have been updated with a modern design aesthetic. I get that stuff wears out and needs to be replaced, but at least keep things true to the period of the house. Don't knock down walls and put up can lighting in a 1925 Dutch Colonial, and don't put a marble facade on the brick fireplace surround in a 1960s mid-mod ranch.

Example (and the one that inspired this post):

A lovely historic home in a nearby college town (a 1925 Colonial, as a matter of fact):

But what's this? Let's make the whole downstairs "open concept"! That's huge right now, right?

The track lighting looks incredibly out of place. Other than that I like it. That style of house (and age of house for that matter) is also a dime a dozen.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I don't even have a doorbell :smug:

the house is too small to really warrant it

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

My area disallows using wood fireplaces certain times of the year because the particulate matter they produce gets trapped and recirculated due to the terrain

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

tetrapyloctomy posted:

and not only did it wreck a great haven for all of the local deer, foxes, and so forth,

Just gonna point out that deer are rats on stilts

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

I can't put in any outlets because I dont own the building. There's actually a light switch on the sink side of the kitchen and the wall backs onto a bedroom but the landlord said it was 100% electrically impossible to add an outlet there no matter how many tenants ask. He also said the same about adding an outlet in my garage even though half the other garages have outlets wired from their light switches.

[...]

If I had an outlet or two on the sink side and maybe a couple more feet of counter I'd be 100% fine and happy in this kitchen. Oh and maybe a range with better working elements and a fan that actually dumps the air outside not just into a useless filter. The lighting is great in the kitchen though as the landlord put in these super nice LED fixtures with a bunch of adjustable heads.

It would be trivial to non-destructively sneak in an outlet in the same box as that light switch. Here's one with GFCI, even, which you'd want by the sink.

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 12, 2017

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Youth Decay posted:

This topic reminded me of the ciassic Kitchen Counters You Could gently caress On tumblr.

This is pretty much my ideal kitchen layout. Though I don't need an island quite this big.

This would be pretty amazing if they had cabinets on the other side as well, for storing all the stuff that isn't needed as often. But given that they've got a pseudo bar setup going there I'm guessing they didn't do that :(

I once rented a place with a big kitchen with roughly that square footage where the center was just a big void, it feels like this island is at least doing something with the space. I feel like the colors they chose are already out of style though.

Youth Decay posted:

And this I'm pretty sure was built by someone with an actual loving-on-counters fetish.

Not even good for loving; the low-hanging lights would get in the way.

Gonna guess that the floor pillars were meant to emulate the doorway pillars to the left, but I just see a great place for my toes to get stubbed.

Also going by the fraction of the neighboring room that's also in the shot, this doesn't look like it really fits in with the rest of the house despite the aforementioned attempts at doing so. Maybe this room used to be something other than a kitchen?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

HycoCam posted:

Some quality interior design advice right there.

Anyone able to point to me to a good mental health thread where I can ask for some tips on kitchen layouts?

I'm sure Reddit has something.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Oh also, small vintage apartment-havers:

This thing was a goddamn lifesaver. It doesn't look like much but it actually fuckin' works. It's basically just a single-rack dishwasher that you put on the counter and hook up to your kitchen faucet with a hose. If you've got the counter space to spare (lol) it will change your life. The only tricky thing is the spikes are kinda close together so you need pretty shallow plates, but you can easily get a couple days' worth of dishes for a two-person household in there, and when it's finished it beeps a song to you in a pleasing Japanese fashion.

The one thing it's bad at is drying, so I recommend venting the steam immediately after the rinse cycle when you can (just pop the door open and closed again) and using one of those water-spot-fighting additives like Jet-Dry

There are also floor standing 'portable' dishwashers that are either full size (24" across) or small size (18"). These pretty much behave like normal dishwashers except they have wheels on the bottom so that you can cart them over by the sink when you want to hook them up. The inevitable kitchen remodel is still a couple years off, so we got an 18" one of these in the meantime. If I had known about these while I was still renting, I'd have saved a boatload of money just picking a cheaper place that didn't already have a dishwasher.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Look if you're gonna go, go hard.

And you reminded me that poo poo like this exists, lmao

MAN FRIDGE FOR MY MAN CAVE WHICH IS THE GARAGE WHERE TOOLS GO EXCEPT HERE THIS IS WHERE MILLER LITE GOES

Guinness from a bottle jfc

Let me store it alongside my manly pellegrinos

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Youth Decay posted:

The remodel isn't exactly bad (except for the kitchen), i just feel like they could've kept more of the character of the house.

I think complaints could have been warranted if the house had any character to begin with. The "before" pictures look like shotgun housing in Independence, MO except with slightly less plywood flooring and carpet stains.

The only problems I see in the new version are:
- The front yard should have a tree planted to replace the old one, but nobody's gonna use that yard anyway so whatever
- That chimney's gonna fall right over in an earthquake, but Portland still doesn't believe in those so whatever

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

SoundMonkey posted:

i'm talking to someone about a future kitchen remodel right now and apparently that's the hotness, and the answer is that you put your pots and pans in the pull out thing like a loving lunatic.

i am not planning to have this feature.

I recommend just getting a hanging ceiling rack for that stuff. We added this one into our small kitchen a few months after moving in and now we don't need to allocate a ton of storage space to large items anymore, and finding a specific pot is super easy. There's also wall racks you can get for holding the lids.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Just get a second kitchen for the actual cooking stuff IMO

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

The Sexual Shiite posted:

Let's have to wash grease and dust off of our pots whenever we want to cook.

Grease: Yeah, don't put it over the stovetop
Dust: Known for collecting on vertical surfaces, impossible to rinse off

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

SoundMonkey posted:

so what's it like paying upwards of four hundred earth dollars for what is apparently a vacuum cleaner that drives like a grandpa

I had been thinking of getting one of those and ended up just getting a dyson v8 for much less instead. It's way more useful in practice, and unlike my parents' roomba circa 2011 it didn't stop working in 5 months either.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Does running fingernails over chalk paint do the same thing as fingernails over chalkboard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Our washer/dryer are tucked away in a corner of the bathroom. The only annoying thing is they're behind the entry door so you gotta close the door to swap laundry. Otherwise it's a pretty economical in terms of space utilization. To be clear this is in the US, in a house built in 1925 that has gone through a few remodels.