Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I'm looking to remodel both my bathrooms. My house is a modular, 1983-build and it's just dated. I have a decent idea what I want to do but really looking for clever ideas, things I haven't thought of, pitfalls, etc. I'll be doing most of the work with a family friend who has been building for his entire adult life so the work will be overdone, no code issues, no I-beams to saw through, etc. That said, if you see something, say something.

The main bathroom:

As you can see, dated vanity, old tub, garish wallpaper, awful cabinet, basic non-tile floor.

This is the only window, which is pretty awful but I don't want to do much with it, I don't want to get into the shingles on the outside of the house so I plan on leaving this window.

Basic idea is wainscoting around the side, probably go pretty high without looking silly. Replace the tub/shower, new toilet, new vanity.

With regards to vanity, I really don't know what I want there. This one is hideous, but I don't know what I like or what will look good. Wide open to ideas here.

Color wise, probably white wainscoting, but the wall maybe a light grey, or light blue possible. My living room/main room is a sage green.

Master Bathroom. This is a tight space right now, but I am getting another maybe a foot, or two depth in the shower by knocking the wall down behind it and eating up a stupid hallway closet.

View from my bedroom, shower is in and to the left. Right now I have no door there, but that's just because it frustrated me. I am considering a barn door that slides. To the left is a closet so it could either cover the closet or the bathroom, might be neat.

From the shower looking down. I plan on putting a really thin profile ikea sink in place of the vanity in here, so I'll get some room there. That would let me open the doorway up so it's less narrow, but may not need to. This toilet will remain, it's pretty new.

The shower, again, just dated. Going to tear it out and put in a tile one. Hopefully I don't have to make the pan by hand.

For both bathroom floors I'll do a tile, but not sure if I should go big tile or smaller tile, design or not, I'm still looking at all sorts of design stuff online amd open to suggestions here.

Couple of other design choices. Only the main bathroom has an exhaust fan, so considering adding one to the master, maybe finding a way to route them both into the same stack (less holes in the roof).

I will probably have to do a full gut on both, doubt I can save any of the walls, and the ceiling is popcorn so getting rid of it is doing humanity a favor. The ease of being able to do any electrical work or plumbing work in the open vice from the attic outweighs have to re-sheetrock I think.

I have all electric heat, but am looking at electric mats for under the tile. Heated floors are nice and classy and I'm going to have it all up already, but it'd have to run on the same line as the baseboard does now. Any horror stories with electric heated floors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Jesus do I really want to spend 3 grand on a french door when I can get a lovely one from Lowes for 500? I mean how bad can the Lowes one be really?

edit: I only posted it a day or two ago but it's kinda gotten lost, nobody has any opinions on my bathroom remodels? I'm lost in a sea of tile choices right now.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Last words

But like, 2500 bucks worth of last words? For that much savings I could almost rebuild the entire door myself and still come out ahead.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Sorry, didn't mean to ignore you! Everything I know about heated floors comes from watching Holmes on Homes (notably an episode where he made a big deal out of installing them in a Los Angeles remodel and the homeowners were like "uh we don't even have a furnace but... thanks?") but I think as long as you don't cut corners on material or skilled labor you should be fine.

For a smaller shower space like yours I'd definitely want to minimize grout, if only because there's not much space to maneuver for hardcore scrubbing. Have you considered wall panels instead? I think they can look pretty cool and the big pitch from all the manufacturers seems to be effortless cleaning

Oh I have not looked into wall panels but good looking out, I will check them out.

On a side note, does anyone have experience venting two rooms with one exhaust fan? I imagine there has to be a baffle or something so that you don't blow from one room into the other.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Yeah I'll probably go with the real door, just a bit of sticker shock. Anderson was a little cheaper but I loving hate Anderson poo poo, it never fits, just never loving fits. The other quote was for an Integrity door, which I'm not familiar with but priced about the same as the Anderson.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I have like 5 sunlight-as-gently caress LEDs in my bathroom and it's so comfortable. It's like making GBS threads on the sun.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I want to put a door on my master bath shower. It's 36" wide. Are there bifold options?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Also looking for some reputable places online to buy a few things, including a shower pan because lowes/home depot are just garbage about odd sizes. Amazon has them but that can be a crapshoot.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Someone suggested acrylic wall panels for a bathroom, but who the gently caress distributes them? I can find a lot of UK distributors but almost nothing in the USA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Sorry for the double, but I'm trying to find a 36x42 shower base with the entrance on the 36 side. Everybody I can find wants the entrance on the 42 side. Thoughts?