Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

edit: sorry, posted before I saw the mod asking us not to continue this discussion.

:newlol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I know that my furniture journey was some form of
- Furniture! Good!
- Cheap furniture, good?
- Particle board and MDF, barf, "solid wood" for me! (mostly buying glued-up strip pine)
- What's this "plywood" thing you're talking about?
- Wait, why does this "solid wood" keep warping and shifting, nobody told me about that!
- Hmm maybe MDF is OK sometimes, still hate particle board

Still not a fan of veneers but only because I have a pathological need for my things to be "honest" even when that's not practical.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

GEMorris posted:

(Another conversation entirely is how the Festool Domino has impacted the custom furniture builder market by increasing their efficiency because hoo boy I don't think anyone could've predicted that and anyone who wants to poo poo on domino joinery does not understand wood or adhesives.)

The only thing I'll poo poo on is the price point on the tool, but heck maybe there really is an £850 gap in results between a domino cutter and a biscuit cutter on a router.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Mr. Mambold posted:

I rely on G.E. Morris and Kaiser Schitzel to back and/or correct me on these points, being fine woodworkers (I am more of a patzer woodworker, if I'm honest, and retired at that)

MDF and particle board are 1st cousins- chips and sawdust with a glue binder. Their positive aspects are that they are neutral- they don't expand or move like actual wood. So for speakers, for instance, ideal. And they're made from recycled bits of junk wood. Their negatives are that they are the devil's own creation, soulless material, and there was the trope for years about formaldehyde dissipation from particle board, which led to etc.

Plywood was used by the ancient Egyptians, and is literally crosswise layers of thin actual wood glued, aka laminated together. Veneer also has a noble origin from probably that time also, and is not to be looked down on, imo. Don't sneer veneer!

The awesome mystery thing about wood imo, as you know Jaded Burnout, is that even though the tree died long ago, it retains the organic je ne sais quoi idkwtf and moves with humidity like a still living thing. And compensating techniques for that has been figured out by genius crafts-persons/woodworkers since recorded time. You will never, never, ever find a decent musical instrument made from mdf or particle baord, fwiw imo. /:words:

Yes these weren't current questions so much as a timeline of my journey through the Understanding of Wood.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Weaved baskets are a nice contrast to white wood, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

brugroffil posted:

We replaced all of our cabinet doors/drawers and repainted the boxes about 18 months ago. I used Sherwin Williams Extreme Bond Primer and their ProClassic paint, not sure if it's available in the UK. Your local paint store should be able to recommend the appropriate primer. The cabinet doors/drawers were simple shaker with maple frames and MDF panels. The finished turned out pretty good and it's held up to the last 18 months with now two toddlers running around. It was all hand-rolled/brushed, and I did them in big batches one side at a time.

Sherwin Williams isn't a player here, the equivalents I think would be a Dulux or Johnstone's.