Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Thanks for making this thread, I'm immensely enjoying the little differences in stylistic preferences that I don't see here in Europe (as often) and the glimpse into what people are finding beautiful where they live. Which brings me to...

Baronjutter posted:

This small apartment kitchen (still about 2x as big as mine...) is pretty timeless and will hold up fine.

Looking at that kitchen, all I can see is the tile back splash which uses the exact same tile as literally every housing project built in the early 90s that I grew up in.
If I never see a white tile in those proportions again it will be too soon, and it already looks super dated to me as it is now.

Style trends where I am now tends heavily towards the whole "found furniture" aesthetic and 50-70 year old use objects like old school desks and worn wood being ridiculously hip:

I'm not wild about this aesthetic, but maybe the problem is me. :shobon:

As for kitchens I am a bigly fan of concepts like this:

Except with stainless steel worktops. Sink is directly welded in and it's so, so cleanable. My girlfriend thinks it looks like a 23rd century auto-shop so I'm still fighting that fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

I have had this for uhhh... going on a decade now, though I emphatically recommend you do not do what I did and get the glass worktop.
The scratches it's accumulated aren't very visible, but it's a colossal pain in the rear end to keep clean, because every spec of dust glares at you like a giant gently caress-you. The only downside is a very expansive desk encourages you to hoard all sorts of crap on it. Ask me about my stack of half-read books.

E: Mine's 1800mm wide, not 1600mm. 1800mm will hold about 3 27 inch monitors side by side in landscape orientation, if you don't have a good frame of reference for how big that is.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

How is this so bright? Those white tiles look like a bathroom colgate smile. I have a windowless bathroom (the norm in apartment buildings here) and I've been trying to find something nice looking that also appears bright to compensate for the lack of natural light.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

This is more of an exterior design question but after seeing this house I really want to know why it has a bunch of outgrowths, and why half of the building is brick and half of it is covered in what I assume is vinyl siding. Is there something about not having consistency in cladding that's trendy?
Also, do apartments in the US not require *a* balcony, somewhere?

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

hailthefish posted:

As far as I know they're not actually REQUIRED, just they're a nice amenity.

But as to why it looks like that? Yeah, inconsistent cladding is 'trendy' I suppose, and it can be nice to break up the texture and outline of a building instead of having it be a giant monotonous rectangle with some windows plopped in it, but it would look better with better quality materials and either a bit more harmony or a bit more artful contrast between the sections. Also the fake colonial-style details (including the crappy obviously-not-real shutters that are practically touching eachother as is) aren't doing it any favors and honestly it would look better without them.

Why vinyl? Because it's cheap, just like the lovely plastic fake stone and the lovely plastic fake shutters. There's something about that picture that makes it feel like a computer rendering. The lighting or the perspective or something, but then if it were a computer rendering the trim bits around the roof probably wouldn't be all hosed up, so I don't know.
Balconies (or some form of enclosed outdoor space) are required for apartments here. For about a decade code did not require them, which meant apartments had no outdoor space for a while, so they were quickly reinstated because it turns out the free market doesn't regulate itself. Not having one seems like a huge drawback, especially in a city.

I thought the third layer with the black railings at least had french balconies but upon closer inspection it doesn't even have that.

I like the options below (roughly in ascending order of price), you can stay within brick and do much with it to make your house something to look at from outside:

Braided brickwork

Polymetric

Textured

Pretty colours.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Yay, bricks! Let's all take a minute to appreciate the beauty of flemish bond:

And here it is in action:

Flemish as in your first photo is also a good candidate for stones in different orientations being different coloured. :)
It breaks up the monotony and highlights the patterning in attractive ways.

Even if you're unable to vary the colours of your bricks, texturing is a technique I've rarely seen in the US but it's so very good looking even in one colour:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Indolent Bastard posted:

The best counter top I ever had was stainless steel. It was the best of all worlds. Looked great, cleaned well, took any and all abuse I tossed at it.
No seams at the wash basin either if you use stainless sinks, everything is welded in. :discourse: