Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I bought a place recently and it's a white box with gray LVT floors. I managed to change all that light bulbs from 5000k to a more reasonable color temp, but I'm at a loss what to do with the rest of the place.

Can anyone recommend a good resource for design ideas? All I know of is Google image search and Houzz, but those aren't always helpful.

I'm getting pretty desperate for some color and texture to the place but have no idea what I want our how to pick something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I bought this (cheep) rug as a placeholder and didn't realize it has an almost swastika until a guest pointed it out.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, where'd you find the boat house pictures? It's glorious and I want to know more.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know where I might find the hanging lamp in this picture?

https://www.houzz.com/hznb/photos/scandinavian-farmhouse-scandinavian-family-room-portland-phvw-vp~84300571

I don't know the first place to look or even how to describe it enough to hunt it down.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

MetaJew posted:

I'm on mobile but in most Houzz posts you can comment on the photo and ask the OP for info on a particular item.

The OP hasn't responded to any questions in that particular thread in years, but I did some more digging and figured out what that light is:

https://www.rejuvenation.com/catalog/collections/conical-24in-drum-pendant/products/5c410d5fccf2f75022c24f16

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

cakesmith handyman posted:

$546 for a $10 lampshade and 2 wire coat hangers gently caress me silly

Lol yeah it's just a little more just than I was expecting

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have an idea of what type of wood they used for all of the trim and window frames in this house: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/16-Buford-St-Sumter-SC-29150/69175848_zpid/

It might be pine with a pretty light stain, or it could be something else with just a clearcoat.

This house was posted in Youth Decay's word-of-the-day post awhile back and I've been thinking about trimming some of my windows in this style.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

aldantefax posted:

Hello thread, I need some ideas on how to decorate a transition-type space in a new construction house.

I have a 4/2.5 two story house that I'll be moving into some time at the end of the year or early next year, and my folks will be taking the master on the ground level while I have generally free reign on the second story. Not pictured in that floor plan will be a balcony addition, and past the north side of the building will be a separated apartment on top of the garage.

I've been looking at turning one of the bedrooms into an office / gaming theater type space, and another one into a proper guest bedroom. However, I am not quite sure what to do with the "loft" (really more of just a non-room) or the stairwell. I think I'd like to think said loft would be a good place to put up some shallow shelves for things I'd like to display, including books and the like. I also have this giant Chinese tea table that, if I can figure out how to get it up the stairs, I would be okay with putting there. I have two dogs right now that are not particularly rowdy so I think glass display cases would be, in general, quite nice with a reasonable amount of lighting. Stairs-wise, I'd like to do some art pieces, perhaps.

Any feedback/ideas on what to do with the loft area and stairs?

How big is the tea table? While trying to decide if it fits in the room or not make sure to account for ~3ft of extra pace on all sides of the table you want to sit at.

For the stairs I'd also like to hear ideas. I have a similar setup (minus parents) with a long straight stairwell that's the only entrance. My working plan is to get a series of pieces of art to hang, but it needs more work than that to feel less sterile. The walls and trim are both white, and the stairs themselves are just gray painted wood. I've thought about carpeting the stairs but this is the main entrance and I'd be tracking dust from the garage and dirt and water in from outside pretty quickly. I'm also planning on replacing the white railing with a stained wood one, and I'm considering running a piece of trim at ~3ft up to break up the giant expanse of flat white wall on each side. I briefly considered wainscotting but it doesn't fit the rest of the place well.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
This house was posted a few days ago in the Word of the Day post (which I love never stop YD).

Does anyone know what the design style that the shelf against the ceiling is called? It mimics the woodwork used on the exterior railings and trellis supports.

Its most obvious in this picture: https://photos.zillowstatic.com/uncropped_scaled_within_1536_1152/ISjza3jkuqj4761000000000.webp

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Is it weird to use kitchen wall cabinets as a floating sideboard/buffet cabinet in a dining room? I have a 10-12ft stretch of empty wall next to my dining table, and about 1ft of depth to work with. I can't seem to find any pieces of furniture that fit this space quite right but it occurred to me that wall cabinets are about the right dimensions. I'd need to put a counter top on them and probably end caps but that's doable.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
"Homage" might be the best set of interiors yet. I love almost all of that post instead of the usual one or two houses.

Keep up the awesome daily posts Youth Decay! Even when I only like part of the posts I still enjoy looking through what's out there.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Is there anywhere I can get a stained glass door like this without going custom?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/108-N-Main-St-Glenford-OH-43739/241720336_zpid/?mmlb=g,32

It's rad as hell and I want one.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Americans love to mount their televisions way too high. Look at any thread where goons post their own living rooms.

I have a lovely gas fireplace with a perfect tv sized space above it. I never use the fireplace so I put the TV on a stand right in front of it at the proper height.

Everyone I've had over freaks out and tells me I need to move it above and look dumbfounded when I explain why not.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

amethystbliss posted:

We're just wrapping up our huge redecorating project and thought I'd share some of my favorite accent pieces/purchases to date. The overall feel of our home is very neutral, but with lots of earthy textures and natural materials (marble, travertine, bone inlay, leather, boucle, stone washed linen, etc.). Not shown here, but a few of our rugs have dark olive tones which makes the rooms feel more cozy.

We tried to get most things used/vintage from Craigslist/FB Marketplace, but I'm happy to provide sources if I have them.

What's your secret for craiglist finds? Are you just browsing it daily or do you have any tips to filter through the mountains of garbage?

More specifically, I'm always looking for sources of artwork. Where'd you get yours from?

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Its not exactly what you asked for, but 'At Home: A short History of Private Life' by Bill Bryson is a really great read for anyone interested in houses.
https://www.amazon.com/At-Home-Short-History-Private/dp/0767919394

I finished this recently and enjoyed it alot. It's basically a history book. There aren't alot of pictures but if you look up all the weird architecture that's referenced in it is like a historical version of Youth Decays daily posts.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
You should start around page 450. Youth Decay started them much earlier than that but the older posts have a ton of broken links. I think at some point YD switch hosting systems so newer posts should be better preserved.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

kreeningsons posted:

Iconic Italian lighting designer and co founder of Artemide, Ernesto Gismondi died right before New Years.

The Tizio lamp which pretty much became shorthand for high tech design for a full decade:

Truly a powerhouse of Italian design, cutting edge lighting and materials application, and a huge loss to the design world.

Which decade was that? I worked at an engineering company that also did ~design~ and we had those as desk lamps. They probably got them in 2010ish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Kinda disappointed that they didn't show the shop. Whoever buys that is going to need a good work space to maintain the rest of it. I'd totally live there.