Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Where did the "putting words on walls" thing come from (or, pictures with words and/or phrase on it)? Was it like this big high-art thing that got diluted down and cheapened, or did it appear independently in it's current state somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there any way to mount a Nelson Sconce to concrete? I've got a raw concrete wall behind a bed I want to mount some sconces to, in a non permanent way. The sconces normally mount with screws to the back, which is fine for drywall but not concrete. Ceiling is concrete as well, so no ceiling-mounted options.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

You have killer taste - is the rest of your bedroom Herman Miller-y too? I like the idea of pairing something graceful like this with a raw concrete wall.

There are ways to screw into concrete, which will leave a mark but you can dye to match when you patch it. Depending on how heavy the lamps are you miiiight be able to do something with heavy-duty adhesive strips? But if a lamp falls off in the middle of the night you'd probably die of a heart attack.

:allears:

Most of my place is Herman-Miller-esque. I have a number of pieces from Herman Miller, but I'm trying maintain as few pieces of furniture or decor as possible so it doesn't look like I just bought an entire Design Within Reach catalog. The living room has an Arco and an Eames, surrounding a Noguchi Geek Chic Envoy with one of those Herman Miller combo stool/side table things that look like a lathed spool. That's actually the entirety of the furniture in the entire room (save for an unspecified rug and painting); the idea is that because the pieces are fairly.. ubiquitous and thick, it keeps the room from looking overloaded or like I just bought every piece of ~*iconic*~ furniture I could get my hands on.

The bedroom is a Parallel Wide bed but due to the concrete wall and ceiling, there isn't really any light aside from the window. Topping the bed with a Pendleton quilt.

I'm in the middle of a move but I could take pictures of things in a few weeks. Some things (like the bed) aren't even up yet, but Herman Miller has their sale right now so I'm considering options.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a resource of bad design and why it's bad? I'm not looking for "LUL design fail" blogs or whatever, but more like the ones that take an analytical approach to why something is good / bad. I often see photos of interior design that feel "off" to me, but I can't specifically say why.

It's like when you see a bad movie and you know something is wrong, but then you see an analysis from a film critic who points out where all the problems lie and the underlying bad decisions become clear.

Like this for example (10,000 sqft house): Something about this aesthetic is throwing me off but I don't know what. Something about it seems superficial or uninspired. The rock slabs? The excess (generic-looking) furniture? That it looks like it was just plucked out of a default design for something? The other house stuck right next to it? That weird-rear end diamond thing above the fireplace? All of the above?

Or is it perfectly fine but I just don't "get it" since I'm into downtown lofts and not the suburbs?

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 15, 2017

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Get a baller-rear end T90 for $3600. You can ever store your crown on it.

$1400 for a desk is pretty cheap considering a good desk will last longer than you will. $1400 for something you never have to buy again sounds like a good deal to me. That's like $35 a year.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 16, 2017

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I will never spend $1400 on any piece of furniture. I can make a heritage table for half that and three weekends. I'm not chiding those that spend that much. That's their choice. Mine is to make my money do more.

Sure, but the point I make is that if you look at things as a permanent fixture in your life then the upfront cost looks more reasonable. If you build it or get it at a garage sale or whatever, it doesn't change the fact that you're buying something that you'll never need to buy again and the future ownership cost of that type of item is effectively zero.

The question is, if you can't afford the upfront cost is it more advantageous to spend money on temporary furnishings or just be furnishingless until you buy what you want. This is more of a personal philosophy.

Baronjutter posted:

The most expensive thing I ever bought was my sofa for about $900.

I searched for months for some cube-like shelves that were modern but not silly and a reasonable price and not particle board, ended up just making my own with almost no woodworking experience. I think they turned out pretty good but if I re-did them I'd make them stronger because books are heavy. It holds them fine but you don't want to try to move the shelf while books are in there or it tries to bend apart.

I think it looks pretty ok. Is it ok?

If it's always going to be oriented in the same direction, you could install angular cross-braces on the back of it to give it stability. Bonus if you de-clutter it you can see them through the back, and vary the bracing directions to add visual interest.

Strictly stylistically though, I'd get rid of about half the books on it. It looks overloaded and you've got books piled up sideways and on top of each other and all over the place. If it were me, I'd slim it down enough to show some empty space and prevent it from looking like a pack of sardines.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 16, 2017

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Elendil004 posted:

I mean how bad can the Lowes one be really?

Last words

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Sorry, didn't mean to ignore you! Everything I know about heated floors comes from watching Holmes on Homes (notably an episode where he made a big deal out of installing them in a Los Angeles remodel and the homeowners were like "uh we don't even have a furnace but... thanks?") but I think as long as you don't cut corners on material or skilled labor you should be fine.

For a smaller shower space like yours I'd definitely want to minimize grout, if only because there's not much space to maneuver for hardcore scrubbing. Have you considered wall panels instead? I think they can look pretty cool and the big pitch from all the manufacturers seems to be effortless cleaning

A Good Bathrooms

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Wanna poo poo in all those toilets

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Install RGBW bulbs throughout and have it all.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
To me, the cabin looks like there's way too much poo poo going on. It's trying to look really rustic and natural, but it ends up just having this meticulous cramming of items, shapes, and patterns in it. The couch is taking up 80% of the room, and the bedroom has piles of decorative crap all over.

It's trying to show the lifestyle of natural rustic simplicity, but with the aesthetic of artificial excessive maximism.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
You can poop in the sink if you have a garbage disposal

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I need a ~5x7 rug that works with this and a Geek Chic Envoy Coffee Table. (Nothing else out-of-frame that would influence the decision, the room is pretty bare).

I like this FLOR rug but I'm not sure about piecewise rugs. I like that it's simple, geometric, and asymmetrical.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

I'm a big fan of Unique Loom. They're a great way to break out of the IKEA/Target rut without paying too much more. But your budget is in my "fantasy dream shopping spree" range so let's get wild.

This excellent high-end rug store near me is having a sample sale and they'll do free shipping, which is nuts. Not sure if they have anything as geometric as you're looking for though.

This one is sort of dark and complicated and modern, but not as starkly geometric as the one you linked.

This one is wool and I think would pair nicely with your Eames chair, but there's no color.

And this one almost certainly isn't your taste, but it's definitely mine so :allears:

I like the LA rugs, but I wish they had a bit larger pattern geometry. The abstraction is nice but It feels slightly too busy for the room.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Jesus christ

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

10 Beers posted:

I will never understand people's fascination with having glass topped tables.

Noguchi motherfucker

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Drape Culture posted:

At this point I'm kind of sick of seeing those in EVERY house. There's a bunch of companies making very similar knockoffs as well which compounds the problem.

I have one of these and I love it, except roomba keeps getting high centered on the two end legs:

Roombas also get caught in the legs of Aerons :negative:

E: I don't think a lot of houses have actual Nogucis, it seems more likely they just have some "Noguchi-inspired" wood/glass table. Like I rarely see actual Arcos, but I see a lot of cheap, similar designs.

The market for $2000 coffee tables is a lot smaller than $200 "inspired-by"s.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 6, 2017

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I've seen the appeal to glass as it doesn't block line of sight and makes a room look less full, especially if you have a larger table. You lose the effect though if you just cram the top of the table full of poo poo as I've often seen.

In the case of the Noguchi or similar, the idea is that it shows off the carved base. I think its supposed to be more of a functional art piece.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
much like farmers only, city folk just don't get it

as a cityliver I confirm

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
So if granite is "out", what's in? I like Carrara but it's expensive as all hell and I don't want to have to rip it up in 10 years.

Maybe stainless since it's fairly cheap and fits with the industrial loft thing? Then change it later when it becomes all bourgeoisie?

Is there a countertop material that's perpetually fine to have?

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

I'm the pure lard

I'm the E. Butte

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Does there exist some software for interior design / layout / etc that isn't some lovely web app? I'm looking for a desktop app more like autoCAD or the like, where I can build the geometry of a room and then drop in models of chairs and things.

Homestyler is close, but the web app is a nightmare.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Dont doxx Buckley

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Get a bead curtain and light some nag champa

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Youth Decay posted:

http://www.fairstone.com/property/or/portland/97231/-/14125-nw-germantown-rd/57d1fa7e30e08a73a0000144/

wait for it...

wait for it...

It was built in 2014, listed for sale in 2015 (hence the date on the MLS photos) at $7.175 million and 2 years later they're still trying to sell the monstrosity.

This place is so tacky is loops all the way around to being awesome. Wanna drink that wine next to my suit of armor and indoor/outdoor terrace.

gently caress those haters, I bet parties there would be awesome.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Arial being a low-quality ripoff of Helvetica is also fitting.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I used the poo poo out of a fireplace when it was in my hotel room, but I know I'm not going to do the same d I have one at home.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
The real crime is beige light switches over white walls.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I've never seen a time when something like an Eames or a Barcelona or an Arco is out of style, so long as you don't get some wonky-rear end color or finish.

Likewise, you've always been able to do white walls, but what you accessorize with might change.

Also, as a society, we've turned away from this idea of limitless resources and excessive consumption being the peak of civilization, and I expect some of the 80's-esque design trends surrounding it to be dead and gone for good. While some pockets still exist, the trend moves further away and I can't imagine it returning, barring some cataclysmic societal schism.

Patrick Spens posted:

Not to be all body shaming but,

https://twitter.com/WeWantPlates/status/811292089141043200

WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS?

Should be used to serve salsa imho

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 14, 2017

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have pull outs for pots and pans and dishes, and I store my dishes upright in them. I'd rather have a more open kitchen than fill it with massive shelves on every surface.

gently caress those haters, portlandhouse is awesome and better than the sad, generic suburban house it replaced.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Not even Tolix chairs? gently caress this place

Enfys posted:

It would be really hard to enjoy a bath (or spending much time at all) in this one without getting a headache

What throws me off is the regular-rear end door leading to the sauna. Shouldn't it have something more.. sauna-esque?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Bad Munki posted:

It should be a big partially frosted glass window door and have words stenciled on the glass like "HOT" and "CALM" and "RELAX"

No door alliteration, value of the home drops 3% unless you put a Barefoot Pinot Grigio in the shot.

SIT SPLASH SCRUB

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 19, 2017

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
So GeekChic went out of business so I'm in the market for a new coffee table. I really like the Noguchi but want to explore some other options first. I'm looking for something more "interesting"-looking, so no boring-rear end suburban coffee tables.

It needs to be tall enough that a Roomba can go under it (like six inches of clearance), or positioned such that it doesn't need to be cleaned underneath.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

SoundMonkey posted:

sink apparently installed by same person who installed my fridge

They did it that way so you could easily install a cupboard-matching wood panel over it.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Roomba just barely fits between my aeron legs enough to not be able to get itself out, so I put a piece of fishing line between the legs to keep it out.

justroombathings

Doctor Butts posted:

Well that's just loving great. A website dedicated for people who want to charge exorbitant prices for used furniture instead of selling it at garage sales or craigslist for something nearing its true value as intended.

Craigslist is full of people trying to sling lovely old furniture as "vintage" for twice what it's worth CASH ONLY FIRM

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 27, 2017

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
would look great with a tiki bar and hawaiian shirt luau party

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Doctor Butts posted:

There's nothing wrong with the desk itself. I don't believe it is actually from a French school, but that's my problem. Whether I'm right or not, there were likely thousands of that kind of desk produced. But, to top it off, it looks like it is made out of plywood and it is just standard metal tubing. It is also not in great condition.

The price is in no way justified, even if you take the flowery descriptors to heart (including vintage/mid century modern).

It is an old, beat up desk that is not unique and not made of high quality material. $25 I'd go for but a normal person would give it up for $10 or less.

:agreed:

It's an old, mass-produced desk from the 70's someone is trying to sling as some ~vintage French MCM~ piece to sucker people in to paying 10 times its value.

If I saw it in the wild, I'd guess it came from a dumpster.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have spent exact zero hours the past two years sweeping or vacuuming, and my floors are spotless every day. If I did the same thing by hand it would cost me about 120 hours a year. Pricing it out, Roomba "sells" me free time for about $1 per hour, cheaper as time goes on.

About once a month Roomba shuts itself in the bathroom or something, but I just hit the dock button when I find it and it drives back home.

It's beneficial enough that I've made thousands of dollars of furniture purchases based on whether or not Roomba can navigate the geometry. Plus I get to sit in my chair on the weekend and watch Roomba clean around me, like some sort of feudal British lord.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Youth Decay posted:

My current design pet peeve is ~minimalist~ kitchens. Like this one. How can you cook here? Where do you put food? And dishes? And cookware besides your stupid teapot collection?

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Maybe this makes me a bad person, but I really like the look. It's too bad it's not useful. I have to assume the designer just wasn't prone to cooking.

It looks useful to me. Just because you don't load up your counters and cupboards full of poo poo doesn't mean you can't cook there.

That's about what my kitchen looks like and I have no problems cooking anything. All you need is like three kitchen knives, four pots and pans, a set of dinnerware, and a crock full of miscellaneous utensils. That's not even one entire cupboard, you still have room for a blender, coffee grinder, or whatever.

You could easily fit all that (and then some) inside the island. Assuming you have a pantry, that's all you need.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Non baker spotted.

:smuggo:

w/ BONUS alessi

e: though I have to SUFFER through the agony of pulling out my rice cooker to get my blender the half-dozen times I make a bisque or blend a drink

It's really not that hard to live a more minimal lifestyle, you just have to evaluate what's important to you and force yourself to not buy every piece of poo poo you find just because it's there and you can. A lot of pictures I see of people with these "home design nightmares" more often than not just have way too much poo poo and need to throw away most of it, yet are so convinced they "need" everything they own, they end up drowning in it, and thinking they need bigger places with more storage to accommodate it all. Closets full of clothes that never get worn, books that never get read, and tools for those "just in case" times that never happen (and even if they did, you're losing out having to store it), old papers, drawers full of cables, other home-storage nightmares.

Sure, you can always argue a "ground floor", but I guarantee you that anyone here could work with that much storage just fine.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

learnincurve posted:

There Are Four Children. :) Trust me you don't fill your house with anything unnecessary with this amount of kids, everything that's essential for daily life has already stolen all your storage space.

When you make cupcakes or muffins you use one tray, I use two. You have one toaster, I have two. You have one frying pan on the go, I have four. You have one set of crockery, I have daily crockery for six, and a set of nice crockery plus serving dishes because you can't serve guests food on the mish mash of plates you end up with because of breakages. You have one open box of cereal, I have four. The list goes on and on.

It's not unattainable if you actually wanted it, kid excuses or not. It would be a change from what you're used to, but it's not out of reach. Most of it doesn't even have to do with "essential" items, it's mainly a hoarding of too many small things that aren't adding value, like clothes that never get worn, books that never get read, old dishes that never get used, etc. Or, "sentimental" items which are too sentimental to throw away, but for some reason not sentimental enough to actually be looked at or used. I religiously get rid of inessential things and even I'm certain I could collect a bag of junk to get rid of right now.

I think simple/minimal living is something that a lot of people claim they want to do, yet most people have an excuse of why they can't do it or why they think their life is somehow uniquely incompatible with it.

effika posted:

There are different kitchens to suit different needs. There is never going to be a one-size-fits-all kitchen that makes everyone happy. That's ok!

Speaking of having too much stuff:

I can't get rid of any winter gear or blankets/comforters due to losing power multiple times during ice storms for weeks at a time growing up. I live in a different climate now, with better infrastructure. I still have a closet dedicated to setting up an artic-worthy indoor area of warmth because my brain is broken.

I have a backpacking down sleeping bag that compresses to the size of two loaves of bread. Then again, in an actual emergency, I could just throw my wool rug on my bed as another blanket.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 1, 2017