Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Drill, baby, drill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

thats teh only reason I would join the military...

just get a job in fast food

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/palestine_zh/status/1769814260211716355?t=ZvEmsFiQJYx2XGR1Efw8xQ&s=19

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Large Testicles posted:

someone name a game where the story is actually good and it hasn't been ripped off of something else where it was done infinitely better

kojima is cheating

Vore Station 13

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Lol

quote:

His monograph, Terror Capitalism: Uyghur Dispossession and Masculinity in a Chinese City (Duke University Press, 2021), examines emerging forms of media, infrastructure, economics and politics in the Uyghur homeland in Chinese Central Asia (Ch: Xinjiang). The book, which is based on two years of ethnographic fieldwork among Uyghur and Han internal male migrants, argues that Chinese authorities and technologists have made Uyghurs the object of what it names “terror capitalism.” It shows that this emergent form of internal colonialism and capitalist frontier-making utilizes a post-9/11 discourse of terrorism, what he shows produces a novel sequence of racialization, to justify state investment in a wide array of policing and social engineering systems.

Can't believe the Chinese would do Terror Capitalism. That sounds so much more evil than the capitalism we all know and love

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

why is xinjiang in quotes

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The person writing properly prefers East Turkestan?

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

100%. Xinjiang is the fake name imposed on them by the CCP

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

in the Twitter header, yeah

a peruse through their timeline and they're just basically anarchists, and do a lot of stuff with HK NED orgs (but I repeat myself)

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

100%. Xinjiang is the fake name imposed on them by the CCP

No it isn't. 新疆 "Xinjiang", short for 西域新疆 meaning "Western Regions New Frontier", was the name given to it by the Qing dynasty in the 18th century (and happens to predate the name "East Turkestan"). The ROC kept the name, calling it "Xinjiang Province" and the PRC government officially renamed it 新疆维吾尔自治区 "Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region" when they took over.

Call it East Turkestan or Uyghuristan if you'd like, but the name Xinjiang isn't some communist plot to keep the Uyghurs down

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

a7m2 posted:

No it isn't. 新疆 "Xinjiang", short for 西域新疆 meaning "Western Regions New Frontier", was the name given to it by the Qing dynasty in the 18th century (and happens to predate the name "East Turkestan"). The ROC kept the name, calling it "Xinjiang Province" and the PRC government officially renamed it 新疆维吾尔自治区 "Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region" when they took over.

Call it East Turkestan or Uyghuristan if you'd like, but the name Xinjiang isn't some communist plot to keep the Uyghurs down

thank you

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

a7m2 posted:

I disagree.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

no worries

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

a7m2 posted:

In Training posted:

I disagree.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The genocide denial is strong today

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/RomeoKokriatski/status/1770771965843738847

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

a7m2 posted:

Oh great, another CPC time traveling denialist

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/BriannaWu/status/1771127644320358430?t=J0Qvsi6s_rLRzIFvdEVV0A&s=19

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

dumbass lol

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

She’s only a few years older than me so I find it very hard to beleive

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

HashtagGirlboss posted:

She’s only a few years older than me so I find it very hard to beleive

live action remake when?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

War and Pieces posted:

live action remake when?

Dom deluise is DEAD

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i don't remember much from that, but this clip has been useful way too much lately
https://y.yarn.co/4d7244b1-8225-46aa-bb5f-e71bf381b67d.mp4

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Truga posted:

i don't remember much from that, but this clip has been useful way too much lately
https://y.yarn.co/4d7244b1-8225-46aa-bb5f-e71bf381b67d.mp4

It was a pretty terrifying scene as a little one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vro5qtVA4PE

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/DrRobThompson/status/1769111605197881708?t=oS5AlAMsiF2Xkf7pEgKIQA&s=19

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

lmao, made his account private in between loading this page and clicking on the tweet

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
what was it

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

some nerd from Army University Press saying that a book on vietnam asserting that my lai was not an aberration, titled Kill Anything That Moves, was a bunch of lies

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lol

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

um, guy paid to say the army is good here. Actually, it’s very hurtful to say the Vietnam War involved murder

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

World War Mammories posted:

some nerd from Army University Press saying that a book on vietnam asserting that my lai was not an aberration, titled Kill Anything That Moves, was a bunch of lies

My Lai happened hundreds and hundreds of times. There's a reason so many US Vietnam vets killed themselves compared to other conflicts

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

World War Mammories posted:

I've seen people argue this and it's always incredibly frustrating because it's like there's a few minor mistakes and a few kinda legitimate criticisms and people act like this means you can ignore the main thesis of "the US deliberately terrorized civilians to force them into concentration camps"

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

I've seen people argue this and it's always incredibly frustrating because it's like there's a few minor mistakes and a few kinda legitimate criticisms and people act like this means you can ignore the main thesis of "the US deliberately terrorized civilians to force them into concentration camps"

When your position is unsupportable the only strategy is to undermine the other side

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Why waste time and resources putting them in camps when you can just execute them on the spot?

It's the American way.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The holocaust wasn't a genocide apparently

https://twitter.com/YossiGoldstein8/status/1771725368749109260?t=s7l9-Zu9SooKhrvvuykkfg&s=19

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
don't worry, he will be killed for denying the holodomor

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/open_sketchbook/status/1772377817851765220?t=tC7u9j5PZsADViQYFJOBAQ&s=19

If the supposed precedent for this projection happened in 1975, and Three Gorges completed construction 28 years later, assuming it's also going to apply to the Three Gorges is sort of like assuming that Russia is going to have another famine Any Day Now because the Holodomor definitely happened.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Spergin Morlock posted:

My Lai happened hundreds and hundreds of times. There's a reason so many US Vietnam vets killed themselves compared to other conflicts

I'm guessing it's because they were conscripts because the US military sure as poo poo didn't stop massacreing civilians

The first half (by number of victims) of the holocaust was people being lined up and shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Politics.professors are so loving stupid

https://twitter.com/MattPolProf/status/1772390256358179026?t=lC0NjkQ25HM9GSETe9xmrA&s=19