Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should go #1 overall?
This poll is closed.
Nolan Patrick 7 12.50%
Nico Hischier 8 14.29%
Someone Else 2 3.57%
Edmonton Oilers 39 69.64%
Total: 56 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Verviticus posted:

heck, there's little to suggest heiskanen or liljegren dont have a reasonable chance of being players next year

You mean besides their mediocre rear end draft years I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

A Typical Goon posted:

You mean besides their mediocre rear end draft years I guess?

Liljegren had Mono to start the season and was a first overall candidate before then. I think it's fair to say he wasn't playing at his actual skill level when he came back.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
do you have any opinions on prospects that isnt just "this guy loving sucks"

i dont think they are going to be put in the NHL next year, but i think they're both probably capable of contributing at above replacement if they do

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jun 22, 2017

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
yeah my opinion is if you're nothing more than a replacement level Finnish or Swedish league player then you're probably not capable of playing at the NHL level at that time.

I don't think either Heiskanen or Liljegren suck, I just don't think either is a top 15 D prospect either

I don't think there is a single player from this draft that should be in the NHL next year. None are polished enough and all have flaws that they could work on at a lower level in order to maximize their development.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
So, uh

http://www.espn.com/nhl/insider/story/_/id/19689002/nhl-final-2017-mock-draft-featuring-all-31-picks-first-round

quote:

To reiterate, this is not my preference and ranking of various prospects. In fact, my opinion differs substantially on several players listed here. Rather, this is simply what I believe will happen on Friday based on discussions with scouts and executives all season.

Note that while there will be trades before and during the draft, the official mock draft rule book states that I don't include any of my own design here.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

That's not ever going to happen, but I was totally about to come here and post that anyways.

FABRICATED DRAFT EVE DRAMA RIGHT ON CUE

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Drafting a Junior A player first overall is one way to fast track your firing

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger
Plz plz plz do that the Devils

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Yea they do this every year. Ostensibly for draft hype, and possibly stoking the fires of draft trades

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Wonderllama posted:

Yea they do this every year. Ostensibly for draft hype, and possibly stoking the fires of draft trades

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/745807742741286912

I said it earlier, but it's a ratings thing. I don't think it's a coincidence that Pronman is saying that the Devils might take Makar at #1, and you can read all about it if you pay for ESPN Insider. I'm putting essentially zero stock in this.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
at least we have our GDT title for tomorrow

CMvan46
Oct 7, 2013
Makar seems like a hell of a player but drafting him 1st would be one of the biggest draft blunders in a long time.

He is undersized and there is just no comparison to know how he will adjust to a faster and bigger game at higher levels. Makar seems like a boom or bust kind of pick and that's a big bet with number 1. I agree this is likely for ratings but crazier things have happened.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
even if you like makar that much, why wouldn't you trade down? surely you could get something of value from one of the lovely teams that didn't win the lottery in exchange for giving them a chance at hischier.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/745807742741286912

I said it earlier, but it's a ratings thing. I don't think it's a coincidence that Pronman is saying that the Devils might take Makar at #1, and you can read all about it if you pay for ESPN Insider. I'm putting essentially zero stock in this.

I think the notable difference in this instance is that Pulujaarvi was deffo a top 5 pick going in and went #4, Makar probably won't even crack the top 10 much less go #1

CMvan46
Oct 7, 2013

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think the notable difference in this instance is that Pulujaarvi was deffo a top 5 pick going in and went #4, Makar probably won't even crack the top 10 much less go #1

Oh I think Makar goes top 10 easily.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
if you're, say, dallas, would you not offer something like dickinson or gurianov to new jersey for the chance to move up and pick hischier? maybe nichushkin's rights if jersey could guarantee him big minutes (and why wouldn't they at this point) and it was guaranteed that he'd come over if offered minutes. if makar is jersey's guy i don't see why they wouldn't do that.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
While that's obviously bullshit, if a team thinks that highly of that guy, you'd have to think they're working on deals to snag a pick around #10 if they could get him. Devils should be in full rebuild mode, and they can trade...

*looks at roster*

oof...

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Makar probably won't even crack the top 10 much less go #1
Ive looked at a dozen things today all which had him going at #4

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Verviticus posted:

heck, there's little to suggest heiskanen or liljegren dont have a reasonable chance of being players next year

Well there's the fact that Chychrun was the only defenseman drafted last season to actually play the whole year in the NHL. I suppose you can argue that he was an over-analyzed/nitpicked faller just like Liljegren is likely to be, but it's really hard for first-time draftees to make the NHL right away - especially defensemen. Also this draft is supposed to be weak.

corn on the cop posted:

Drafting a Junior A player first overall is one way to fast track your firing

Kyle Turris eventually worked out, just not for the team that drafted him (lol).

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Ive looked at a dozen things today all which had him going at #4

Wow. A lot of the mocks I'd seen had him going in the 12-17 range. Guess his stock went up somehow. I think he'll be fine if ends up somewhere with defensive depth that has time to develop him.

Now that I've said this he'll end up in Vancouver.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 22, 2017

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Now that I've said this he'll end up in Vancouver.

There's talk that he's Benning's target. He announced the other day that they need a 50-60 point defenceman because apparently they grow on trees and we'll fashion a new 1st line centre from bits of old bark and Henrik's hair clippings or something.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

ThinkTank posted:

There's talk that he's Benning's target. He announced the other day that they need a 50-60 point defenceman because apparently they grow on trees and we'll fashion a new 1st line centre from bits of old bark and Henrik's hair clippings or something.

seems like he'd take Liljegren over Makar, but maybe Dallas or Colorado takes that option off the table

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

Just for curiosity's sake, who would you prefer? Glass? Suzuki?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Just for curiosity's sake, who would you prefer? Glass? Suzuki?

Glass or Suzuki are my #1 choices, leaning towards Glass. They're the safest bets, and after two whiffs on top-10 picks in a row the Canucks really can't afford to make a mistake here.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

Glass or Suzuki are my #1 choices, leaning towards Glass. They're the safest bets, and after two whiffs on top-10 picks in a row the Canucks really can't afford to make a mistake here.

Unfortunately I think unless Vegas trades up to snag someone else I suspect their first pick'll be Glass

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Unfortunately I think unless Vegas trades up to snag someone else I suspect their first pick'll be Glass

Vegas is picking after the canucks

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

JawKnee posted:

Vegas is picking after the canucks

I know, but based on what ThinkTank's said they're grabbing a d-man

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Oh - why is that unfortunate?

I... don't know that the canucks do that though. I think if both Dallas and Colorado pick D-men, which they both need, the Canucks will opt for a C. I'm not sure I see Benning passing up Mittelstadt though if he's still available tbh

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I don't think anyone really knows what Benning's intentions are. The press have said that Benning likes Glass (which is good) but isn't sold on any other centres and will go D if he's gone before 5 (which is bad). Then again, that's just speculation and spitballing from media types. The whole Canucks organization has been uncharacteristically quiet this off-season. I figure they're finally learning their lesson.

Although, if true this is hilarious:

https://twitter.com/HockeyDipshit/status/877944824577392640

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Shero does love drafting D...

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

JawKnee posted:

Oh - why is that unfortunate?

I... don't know that the canucks do that though. I think if both Dallas and Colorado pick D-men, which they both need, the Canucks will opt for a C. I'm not sure I see Benning passing up Mittelstadt though if he's still available tbh

Because I feel like grabbing Makar's a stretch at #5, and if he's looking to add an offensive defenceman Makar seems to be the choice. Heiskanen sounds like a potentially very good player but he seems more defensive-minded from what I've read about him, and may not be available. I actually think if Heiskanen's available Vancouver could pull the trigger and it'd be a reasonably good pick.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Okay I see. I completely misread your post and thought you were saying it's unfortunate that Vegas might take Glass.

CMvan46
Oct 7, 2013
I hope the Canucks take Glass if available. I don't mind Makar if they take him but I do think he's a big time gamble.

It's hard to fault Benning on the Virtanen pick. If they had passed up on the home town kid who was not a reach at their pick we would have never heard the end of it from fans and media here. Unfortunately I just don't think he's smart or motivated enough to play his game to higher levels.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

CMvan46 posted:

It's hard to fault Benning on the Virtanen pick. If they had passed up on the home town kid who was not a reach at their pick we would have never heard the end of it from fans and media here. Unfortunately I just don't think he's smart or motivated enough to play his game to higher levels.

I do, his stats were terrible compared to the guys ranked around the same place and no one gives a poo poo who's on the roster if they're winning.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

JawKnee posted:

Okay I see. I completely misread your post and thought you were saying it's unfortunate that Vegas might take Glass.

Well from Vancouver's perspective, it is. They're missing out on a kid with strong potential. The only real criticism I've seen of Glass is that he isn't big enough yet, and that will come with age.

This is all conjecture of course; if Marc Bergevin can make a couple smart moves in a week, maybe Benning can get something right.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 22, 2017

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I have no faith in the man

CMvan46
Oct 7, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

I do, his stats were terrible compared to the guys ranked around the same place and no one gives a poo poo who's on the roster if they're winning.

Barely anybody complained when they picked him at the time and every "expert" and mock draft had him going around where we took him as well. People do give a poo poo though and it was a marketing dream if it worked out and junior stats are a crappy argument for drafting a player especially considering the style of game he plays.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

CMvan46 posted:

Barely anybody complained when they picked him at the time and every "expert" and mock draft had him going around where we took him as well. People do give a poo poo though and it was a marketing dream if it worked out and junior stats are a crappy argument for drafting a player especially considering the style of game he plays.

Lots of people hated the Virtanen pick at the time, myself included. Adjusted to a full season, Ehlers (who was my choice on the day) outscored him while putting up 30ish more assists while being an inch shorter. Junior stats are the best indicator for future success for a player regardless of position or playstyle, like that has been objectively proven time and again. No one indicator is perfect, but if consider any draft pick a calculated gamble it's always safer to go with the higher scorer.

As for rankings, Virtanen was below Ehlers and Nylander in essentially every ranking list except for bob. Some had him as a mid round pick, one or two had him outside the first round. In consensus rankings, Ehlers and Nylander were comfortably ahead of him.

With regards to the local boy thing, who gives a poo poo if he'd worked out or not? If he had, the Canucks would have a 60-70 point skilled guy in Nylander or Ehlers to comfort them while Virtanen did his thing elsewhere as what a decent net crashing 2nd line forward? I don't think too many people would be that heartbroken.

As for the idea of taking the local kid at all, answer me this: if he'd been from Humboldt, Saskatchewan would you have still drafted him? If the answer is "no" then it was a terrible decision. The most popular players in franchise history are from Sweden (Hank), Sweden (Dank), Sweden (Naslund), Russia (Bure), Sudbury (Bertuzzi), Medicine Hat (Linden), Detroit (Kesler), St. Paul (Smyl) and Montreal (Burrows). What do all those guys have in common? The fact that they put up big point totals at a time when the team was very successful. There were players from BC on the team each of those times: Morrison during the WCE era, Hamhuis during the 2011 cup run, Courtnall/Ronning in 94 and while none were ever outright unpopular, they were overshadowed by their more successful teammates.

Canucks fans like one thing: winning. In fact, that's true of all fanbases in all sports. It doesn't matter how you do it, just win. Would it be great to have a Vancouver born superstar? Yeah, absolutely. Would I care if we won the cup without a BC born player on the roster? Not in the slightest, in fact I'd personally lend a hand in building a monument to whichever player led us there be they from Victoria or Siberia. Winning is what matters, and deliberately hamstringing yourself to I dunno fill a largely imagined want for your fans is a very bad way to go about it.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 22, 2017

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

I don't think anyone really knows what Benning's intentions are. The press have said that Benning likes Glass (which is good) but isn't sold on any other centres and will go D if he's gone before 5 (which is bad). Then again, that's just speculation and spitballing from media types. The whole Canucks organization has been uncharacteristically quiet this off-season. I figure they're finally learning their lesson.

Although, if true this is hilarious:

https://twitter.com/HockeyDipshit/status/877944824577392640

lmao that kid rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CMvan46
Oct 7, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

Virtanen stuff

I'm not saying I liked the pick personally either. I know him personally, played with his brother all growing up, and he's not an overall hard working guy and isn't all that bright.

I agree it doesn't matter where a guy is from but for casual fans it does matter. It was a marketing dream for the Canucks and I think that played in to the pick as much as the skill. The Canucks have practically nothing to sell tickets right now and haven't for years now. It's the same reason the Blue Jays went after Brett Lawrie.

I still don't think stats are a be all indicator especially when guys play in different leagues, on different strength teams and the increasing number of high end guys playing in pro leagues in Europe.

• Locked thread