Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should go #1 overall?
This poll is closed.
Nolan Patrick 7 12.50%
Nico Hischier 8 14.29%
Someone Else 2 3.57%
Edmonton Oilers 39 69.64%
Total: 56 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

Didn't some dude do a study and find that the Canucks would have been better off over a few years if they'd drafted purely by guys who scored lots of points versus whatever dumb strategy they actually did?

What I'm saying is small dudes who score points probably are worth the gamble

Especially in a draft that doesn't have much to offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

That's actually surprisingly... Good? Four of those guys turned into very effective members of the team at its height (Edler, Hansen, Raymond, Schneider), one was traded for table scraps but still became half decent NHLer (Grabner) and one died.

Patrick White was a giant bust and that was obvious the second he was drafted, but between 03 and 05 the Canucks had some decent drafts. That 07 draft... Well... The less said the better.

:lol: Simek

Which of them died?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

Luc Bourbon.

As the old SAS Wiki put it "Luc Bourdon was a Canucks prospect who thought he was stronger than a truck."

Read his Wikipedia entry, I feel like it might be a good idea to make banning Motorcycles a standard clause in contracts in pro sports.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

Before they gassed their archives you could read HFboard threads dating back to 2002 (I think). I spent a delightful afternoon reading an entire thread about how Miroslav Satan was the untouchable young star of the Buffalo Sabres and how he and Taylor Pyatt were gonna the power line of the future.

It makes me sad Miroslav never wore #66. He did score 224 goals in 8 years with Buffalo.

I mean, HFBoards also think Tom Barrasso is more HOF worthy than Kiprusoff. Which I cannot agree with. I know Tom had more wins and cups than Mikka, but he played for an insanely stacked team and had a worse GAA and SV Pct.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 18, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

A Typical Goon posted:

I can admit when I was wrong though, it happens to everyone. I also thought Yakupov was going to be really good!

In your defence, I think most people did and if he'd landed, in, I dunno *looks up year he was drafted* Columbus, or with the Islanders, he'd probably be better off. Even Montreal would have been a better fit for him, and I think Therrien is awful. But the "culture" in Edmonton was toxic, and they haven't done a good job of developing guys. McDavid's an exception because nobody could have stopped him from being great, unless somebody elbowed his brains into oblivion. I even think Taylor Hall had his development hurt by the way things were there.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Pretty sure I want Calgary to go with a Defenceman, I definitely don't want Klim Kostin (the fact that he didn't do poo poo in the KHL or MHL is super concerning), which one mock had happening. I'd much rather pick Foote or Valimaki, or if they have to go forward, Nick Suzuki.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 25, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Flames website writer did a mock. It's uh, interesting.

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/mock-draft---george-johnson/c-289706278

I wouldn't mind Nick Suzuki though, unless there's something I should know about him

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Verviticus posted:

flames getting suzuki at 16 would make me pissed the gently caress off

i can't imagine a team being stupid enough to take rasmussen BEFORE tippett

I'd be angrier about your boys passing on Liljegren, personally. But I strongly doubt he'll last that long. Vegas, Buffalo, Vancouver, everything I've read on him suggests they'd be would be crazy to pass on him

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 5, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Scaramouche posted:

I wouldn't draft SAM STEEL because he's obviously going to have accident that'll turn him into a super hero/villain any day now.

Or become a private detective.

I think he'd be worth blowing a 5th or 6th rounder on.

Edit: And now I feel silly as he was already drafted

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Dammit, I want Cal Foote, Calgary.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/745807742741286912

I said it earlier, but it's a ratings thing. I don't think it's a coincidence that Pronman is saying that the Devils might take Makar at #1, and you can read all about it if you pay for ESPN Insider. I'm putting essentially zero stock in this.

I think the notable difference in this instance is that Pulujaarvi was deffo a top 5 pick going in and went #4, Makar probably won't even crack the top 10 much less go #1

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Ive looked at a dozen things today all which had him going at #4

Wow. A lot of the mocks I'd seen had him going in the 12-17 range. Guess his stock went up somehow. I think he'll be fine if ends up somewhere with defensive depth that has time to develop him.

Now that I've said this he'll end up in Vancouver.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 22, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

There's talk that he's Benning's target. He announced the other day that they need a 50-60 point defenceman because apparently they grow on trees and we'll fashion a new 1st line centre from bits of old bark and Henrik's hair clippings or something.

Just for curiosity's sake, who would you prefer? Glass? Suzuki?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

Glass or Suzuki are my #1 choices, leaning towards Glass. They're the safest bets, and after two whiffs on top-10 picks in a row the Canucks really can't afford to make a mistake here.

Unfortunately I think unless Vegas trades up to snag someone else I suspect their first pick'll be Glass

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

JawKnee posted:

Vegas is picking after the canucks

I know, but based on what ThinkTank's said they're grabbing a d-man

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

JawKnee posted:

Oh - why is that unfortunate?

I... don't know that the canucks do that though. I think if both Dallas and Colorado pick D-men, which they both need, the Canucks will opt for a C. I'm not sure I see Benning passing up Mittelstadt though if he's still available tbh

Because I feel like grabbing Makar's a stretch at #5, and if he's looking to add an offensive defenceman Makar seems to be the choice. Heiskanen sounds like a potentially very good player but he seems more defensive-minded from what I've read about him, and may not be available. I actually think if Heiskanen's available Vancouver could pull the trigger and it'd be a reasonably good pick.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

JawKnee posted:

Okay I see. I completely misread your post and thought you were saying it's unfortunate that Vegas might take Glass.

Well from Vancouver's perspective, it is. They're missing out on a kid with strong potential. The only real criticism I've seen of Glass is that he isn't big enough yet, and that will come with age.

This is all conjecture of course; if Marc Bergevin can make a couple smart moves in a week, maybe Benning can get something right.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 22, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CMvan46 posted:

I'm not saying I liked the pick personally either. I know him personally, played with his brother all growing up, and he's not an overall hard working guy and isn't all that bright.

I agree it doesn't matter where a guy is from but for casual fans it does matter. It was a marketing dream for the Canucks and I think that played in to the pick as much as the skill. The Canucks have practically nothing to sell tickets right now and haven't for years now. It's the same reason the Blue Jays went after Brett Lawrie.

I still don't think stats are a be all indicator especially when guys play in different leagues, on different strength teams and the increasing number of high end guys playing in pro leagues in Europe.

They're not but they tell a lot about Canadian junior players. Obviously not every stat monster is a hit (lookin' at you, Len Barrie), but it's fairly rare you see somebody with average numbers in Junior do well in the NHL if they played in the CHL first. I'm sure there's an example or two, but those are outliers, as far as I know.

I agree that if they played in the SEL, or SM-liiga, it can be hard to tell, especially with defencemen, I find sometimes their numbers look awful, then they come here where offence is wide more open and have a lot more points.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 22, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That hometown boy poo poo is useful if you have a minor league team sometimes because of small-town mentality, but it has no place in the major leagues in any sport. Like, I started rooting for Calgary because Theo Fleury was a Warrior first, but it certainly didn't hurt they were a successful team. Plus Lanny McDonald! And a guy with a 100MPH slapshot (back when that was more novel).

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Koopa Kid posted:

William Nylander fun fact: he was born in Calgary and can likely claim nominal Canadian citizenship as a result, though he grew up mostly in the US and is obviously a Swedish national.

Makes sense, his dad played for Calgary for a few years and had one pretty good year there ('95-96). Had a hell of a time staying healthy, though. Nylander's definitely a player who aged like wine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Vegas has 5 picks in the first 2 rounds, should be able to find some value. McPhee's gonna look foolish if he doesn't have at least 2-3 hits, though.

• Locked thread