Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should go #1 overall?
This poll is closed.
Nolan Patrick 7 12.50%
Nico Hischier 8 14.29%
Someone Else 2 3.57%
Edmonton Oilers 39 69.64%
Total: 56 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

ThinkTank posted:

Jason Robertson continues to be hideously under appreciated.

Also this would've been a very sensible year for the Canucks to go D with a top five pick. There are a bunch of decent defencemen available, and the forwards are of the meh variety. Instead Benning insisted on doing that last year when the opposite was true and now has to either once again delay drafting a centre and take a defenceman at 5th for the second straight year or reach for an underwhelming centre.

You know he'll reach.

right in the canucks wheelhouse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Give me the beautiful Swiss boy.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
DeBrincat has shown very little outside of the OHL. There's sufficient reason to be skeptical he'll translate his junior success to the NHL.

Short dudes tend to be overlooked (:v:) but it's not without good reason: many of them don't have the toolsets of a Johnny Gaudreau or Clayton Keller (who went 7th this past draft, mind you) to excel in the league.

This isn't the mid-90s anymore. Steve Sullivan was selected in the 9th round of his +1 year, despite being a PPG player in his draft year and scoring 113 points in his +1 year.

Teams have wisened up, but they're still (wisely) cautious.

corn on the cop fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 14, 2017

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Also, Kailer has a brother named Keanu. I don't know how you screw up an 80 name tool like Yamamoto but his parents managed to do so.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky

A Typical Goon posted:

Nic Petan is an inch taller than Yamamoto, put up 120 points in 71 games in his draft year (Yamamoto put up 99 in 65 this year), isn't a late birthday and he only went 43rd overall in 2013, an actual good draft year.

4 years later he's done nothing at the NHL level. People in this thread overvalue decent years from short players

Pretty much. For every Gaudreau or Keller there's about a dozen more Tedenby's and Grimaldi's.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Well yeah, in pretty much all cases I would favor the player with a proven track record of elite production at the lower levels.

I'm just saying that we have a tendency to feel like short players who post elite production are infallible when they often require very specific toolsets to excel in the bigs (which should be obvious :v:). I'm not saying to draft Michael Rasmussen top-10 because lmao why would you do that to yourself

I'll also concede that my point about height mainly applies to dudes who are like, 5'9" and below. I have no idea why guys like Beauvillier and Parise were mid-to-late firsts when they measure out to be 5'10" - 5'11".

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
e: double post

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
flashback time

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Jordan7hm posted:

Yeah my reaction to that was that 5 of those players were effective NHLers. I bet that's far better than most teams.

e: HockeyFuture top 10 sens prospects in 2007:

Top 20 at a glance
1. (1) Josh Hennessy, C
2. (3) Nick Foligno, LW
3. (2) Brian Lee, D
4. (4) Igor Mirnov, C
5. (7) Ilya Zubov, C
6. (NR) Jim O’Brien, C
7. (6) Brian Elliott, G
8. (9) Kaspars Daugavins, LW
9. (5) Kirill Lyamin, D
10. (11) Alexander Nikulin, C
Read more at http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/9859/senators_top20_prospects_fall2007/#kExbghRwHUeCMc4Q.99

:barf:

this looks like just about every HF devils prospect list from 2002 onwards. coincidentally, they were routinely ranked in the bottom-3 every year.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky

quote:

He looked more Sergei Fedorov or Alexander Mogilny skating the ice and not knowing what to do with the great skills he possesses unlike the Mike Modano he is usually compared to.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Corey Pronman's Final Top 31 is up. He considers the first 5 their own tier, with the second tier dropping off after 14:

1) Nico Hischier
2) Nolan Patrick
3) Gabriel Vilardi
4) Cody Glass
5) Nick Suzuki
6) Owen Tippett
7) Eeli Tolvanen
8) Miro Heiskanen
9) Klim Kostin
10) Kristin Vesalainen
11) Erik Brannstrom
12) Casey Mittlestadt
13) Timothy Liljegren
14) Kailer Yamamoto
15) Lias Andersson
16) Martin Necas
17) Elias Pettersson
18) Michael Rasmussen
19) Cale Makar
20) Robert Thomas
21) Henri Jokiharu
22) Ivan Lodnia
23) Jusso Valimaki
24) Jason Robertson
25) Joni Ikonen
26) Callan Foote
27) Aleksi Heponiemi
28) Ryan Poehling
29) Grant Mismash
30) David Farrance
31) Markus Phillips

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
He was also very complimentary of Jason Robertson's game, but thinks very low of his skating ability.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Verviticus posted:

i wonder why hes so down on pettersson

Seems to like his overall skill level, but is down on his skating, tiny frame, and his willingness to compete in puck battles. Also admits he might be a tad biased because he's never seen a dominant performance from him, but those that watch him more carefully swear by his talent.

corn on the cop fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 20, 2017

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Oh come on. Patrick only scored 46 points because he broke his collarbone. You know this. And Patrick's D-1 year was leagues better than Reinhart's (if I'm reading the stats page right)

Players should have an extra development year, just not in the CHL.

I think Patrick is better than he's been given credit for, but he's in the unique situation of having a late-September birthday, and thus being one of the oldest guys in his class. His D-1 is a little misleading in that regard.

It's worth noting that were he born four days earlier, he'd have been in last year's draft (as one of the youngest players). With his great season and playoff, he's probably selected in that #3-5 range with DuBois and Puljujarvi. At this juncture, I would certainly peg him as being better than the former. He's pretty solidly a tier-2 guy.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Patrick was 2nd on the team in PPG behind Hawrlyuk and led the team in playoff scoring (scoring at a near-identical clip as his regular season production) but idk

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Hischier came in taller than I thought.

Mittlestadt is having a Sam Bennett-esque day:

https://twitter.com/coreypronman/status/871049486369476608

https://twitter.com/coreypronman/status/871053767311060992

corn on the cop fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 3, 2017

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
rasmussen at #9 is completely indefensible but i'd be comfortable taking him outside of the lottery

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
All the mocks (Button, Marek, Bobo) are centering around Nico at the top.

Vegas appears to love Nolan Patrick so maybe there'll be a megadeal since they might possibly own 20% of the picks in the first round.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Drafting a Junior A player first overall is one way to fast track your firing

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
at least we have our GDT title for tomorrow

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Eeli Tolvanen was just rejected by the Boston College admissions department. Since he's being drafted out of the USHL he's in the odd position of being AHL-eligible right out of the gate.

Also possible he goes to Oshawa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/878277135437135873

Seabrook? Hossa?

• Locked thread