Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Troposphere posted:

dan didio went on a NO HAPPY CHARACTERS!!! NO ONE CAN BE FUN!! rampage and they never really recovered from it

Worse than that really...

C.S Lewis posted:

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

90 percent of the industry over the past 20 years read Watchmen and not this quote, learned all the wrong lessons, and here we are. At least all those Silver Age things are delightfully silly in retrospect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Troposphere posted:

dan didio went on a NO HAPPY CHARACTERS!!! NO ONE CAN BE FUN!! rampage and they never really recovered from it

Was that before or after his "No hero is relatable if they're married? So I'm going to retcon or divorce them all?" bonus points for that one since it was the second time Batwoman's award winning writing team and art team had been told "No Kate can't marry her partner"after they'd been promised they could do it and had to rewrite stuff planned years in advance, so they said gently caress it and quit. DC could've had the first married gay hero.
Didio made a bunch of weird choices. Like he did a wonderful job on the Batman cartoon but some very weird stuff as EiC at DC.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Though, no joke, if they could somehow get this scene to come across as what it meant in the comic (which is a 98 percent chance of failure, methinks), it might very well be the most defining Cinematic Batman moment since...well, "I'm Batman".

I mean, the Lego Batman Movie was overflowing with the absurdity that this picture flows from, and most everyone really liked THAT, so it's not impossible.

Kruxy
May 19, 2004

Just a steel town girl on
a Saturday night, looking
for the fight of her life

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

So DC is in the 40k universe?

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
A race of tiny monsters who feed exclusively on foreskins once kidnapped Lobo and circumcised him and ate his foreskin. I hope to see this adapted onto the silver screen.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Did he grow a new foreskin?

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Yeah. I can't remember but I THINK they kidnapped him specifically so they could get infinite foreskins.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

This is the plot for a stoner comedy.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

stealin' dis

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

me driving past the home of my true love 27 times in the dead of night

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Troposphere posted:

thanks dc really cool thing to put in your comics for children

Brad Meltzer went full retard stupid with Identity Crisis. It pretty much took a steaming poo poo on top of every lighthearted or heroic moment in DC by introducing the possibility that Zatanna was going around mind-raping villains who were literally raping people. That being said, it had some good Batman moments when he was trying to help save Robin's dad (not even Identity Crisis could gently caress up Batman):

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Here are some more gems

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Wanna see a Stardust the Super Wizard movie

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Bogus Adventure posted:

Here are some more gems

It's important to remember why Green Lantern called his friend "Pieface."

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
They should adapt All Star Batman & Robin into a movie where Batman is a violent sociopath who kidnaps Robin, abuses him and forces him to be his sidekick

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
only hosed up people read comic books to begin with

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Comics are for children

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Troposphere posted:

thanks dc really cool thing to put in your comics for children

Jesus christ what the gently caress :crossarms:

Vakal
May 11, 2008

paul_soccer10 posted:

Comics are for children

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

This was the issue where Lex Luthor did ayahuasca. Good times.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

paul_soccer10 posted:

Comics are for children

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

In general, superhero comics are so terrible it's unreal. I dunno how people can stick with this poo poo for decades and not get burnt out on it. Being a fan of Marvel or DC is like being in an abusive relationship. I can only take "yeah baby I'm sorry I didn't mean to smack you I won't do it again" so many times before I file for divorce

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Gammatron 64 posted:

In general, superhero comics are so terrible it's unreal. I dunno how people can stick with this poo poo for decades and not get burnt out on it. Being a fan of Marvel or DC is like being in an abusive relationship. I can only take "yeah baby I'm sorry I didn't mean to smack you I won't do it again" so many times before I file for divorce

I like DC's characters, but I'm pretty much done with their comics until they can stay with a continuity for more than 5 years or get rid of Dan DiDio. Last I heard, they're bringing The Watchmen into continuity in some ridiculously contrived event.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

lol where is this from?

Also I can't believe no one has mentioned superdickery.com yet, which has tons of this stuff

Their newest image is about some super villain who loves cocaine. I'd post it but I'm on my phone.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

That Robot posted:

lol where is this from?

Also I can't believe no one has mentioned superdickery.com yet, which has tons of this stuff

Their newest image is about some super villain who loves cocaine. I'd post it but I'm on my phone.

I'm guessing Outsiders? The other characters are Grace Choi and Thunder.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

That Robot posted:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Bogus Adventure posted:

I like DC's characters, but I'm pretty much done with their comics until they can stay with a continuity for more than 5 years or get rid of Dan DiDio. Last I heard, they're bringing The Watchmen into continuity in some ridiculously contrived event.

The fact that DC decided to make a prequel to Watchmen is just.... ugh.

I was always mainly a Marvel guy growing up but goddamn Marvel's actual comics are so insanely lovely. They keep doing HUGE EARTH SHATTERING gimmicks EVENTS that make no sense and you need to buy like 100 comics you're not even interested in to follow the story. And nothing ever matters because they have a sliding timeline and will always hit the reset button and everyone who dies will come always come back so there's no stakes to anything. I'm like "oh, Wolverine died. Who cares? They'll bring him back later." DC isn't much better.

Marvel and DC also love doing storylines that are so awful it's mind-boggling that anyone gave them the stamp of approval. Like Spider-Man making a deal with the devil to save Aunt May but that erases his marriage somehow because character development isn't allowed. Or that Clone Saga business. Or Gwen Stacy getting it on with the Green Goblin. Or Doc Ock taking over Peter Parker's body. And that's just Spider-Man's books.

Then there's really dark and tasteless poo poo like Dr. Light rape poo poo that was posted here, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch having incest. And since I've left, Marvel has gotten really in your face and preachy about political poo poo and even discussing comics has gotten about as adversarial and divisive as video games are now. And then they made Cap a Nazi.

tl;dr I'm a nerd ranting about how comic books loving suck rear end, don't read them if you value money, your sanity and self-respect

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

THIS is art

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

I'm the tubular spacial.

There's a paperback collection version of Stardust and it rules.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

#neverforget

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

That Robot posted:

I'm the tubular spacial.

There's a paperback collection version of Stardust and it rules.

There's now two of them, actually! Fletcher Hanks is amazing, his works sum up basically everything stupid and insane about superhero comics ad absurdum, with a complete lack of self awareness, right in the foundational years of the medium before any modern revisionist took ironic issue with the idea of godlike manchildren dealing ghoulish death to petty crooks.

It also has the first female superhero

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Gammatron 64 posted:

The fact that DC decided to make a prequel to Watchmen is just.... ugh.

I was always mainly a Marvel guy growing up but goddamn Marvel's actual comics are so insanely lovely. They keep doing HUGE EARTH SHATTERING gimmicks EVENTS that make no sense and you need to buy like 100 comics you're not even interested in to follow the story. And nothing ever matters because they have a sliding timeline and will always hit the reset button and everyone who dies will come always come back so there's no stakes to anything. I'm like "oh, Wolverine died. Who cares? They'll bring him back later." DC isn't much better.

Marvel and DC also love doing storylines that are so awful it's mind-boggling that anyone gave them the stamp of approval. Like Spider-Man making a deal with the devil to save Aunt May but that erases his marriage somehow because character development isn't allowed. Or that Clone Saga business. Or Gwen Stacy getting it on with the Green Goblin. Or Doc Ock taking over Peter Parker's body. And that's just Spider-Man's books.

Then there's really dark and tasteless poo poo like Dr. Light rape poo poo that was posted here, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch having incest. And since I've left, Marvel has gotten really in your face and preachy about political poo poo and even discussing comics has gotten about as adversarial and divisive as video games are now. And then they made Cap a Nazi.

tl;dr I'm a nerd ranting about how comic books loving suck rear end, don't read them if you value money, your sanity and self-respect

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
by the way that page makes me like captain america even more

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
nvm, not funny like i thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

• Locked thread