Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

:same:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Gay City

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

I'm starting to realize Zach Snyder's Superman is actually not that bad all things considered

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!

Supes got a weird mix of "Charles Atlas" and "1950s dad bod" going on there

Vakal
May 11, 2008

A woman with a gun, Batman's ultimate trigger.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Supes got a weird mix of "Charles Atlas" and "1950s dad bod" going on there

Its a sign of the times type thing. I'm sure some douchebag has written an article about the evolution of supermans body image over the decades but suffice it to say that hyper cut wasp waisted types of superheroes don't show up till much later. It's like how Johnny Weissmuller was cast as Tarzan in the 30s in large part because of his famous physique which looked like this:

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Drunken Baker posted:

Yeah. I can't remember but I THINK they kidnapped him specifically so they could get infinite foreskins.

namechange pls

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

skasion posted:

Gay City

It's too dangerous for a woman.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

skasion posted:

There's now two of them, actually! Fletcher Hanks is amazing, his works sum up basically everything stupid and insane about superhero comics ad absurdum, with a complete lack of self awareness, right in the foundational years of the medium before any modern revisionist took ironic issue with the idea of godlike manchildren dealing ghoulish death to petty crooks.

It also has the first female superhero

a volume that has everything he ever produced was recently published and all households should have a copy on their bookshelf.

mine came with a coloring book too!

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
How about the time they had a "draw Harley Quinn naked committing suicide" contest?

http://www.cbr.com/dc-apologizes-to-those-offended-by-harley-quinn-contest/

e:
The script called for a panel in which Harley is depicted "sitting naked in a bathtub with toasters, blow dryers, blenders, appliances all dangling above the bathtub and she has a cord that will release them all. We are watching the moment before the inevitable death. Her expression is one of ‘oh well, guess that’s it for me’ and she has resigned herself to the moment that is going to happen."
http://www.cbr.com/jimmy-palmiotti-clarifies-controversial-harley-quinn-tryout-script/

ghosthorse fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 12, 2017

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
The one where Spiderman is gay.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Also this

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bob James posted:

The one where Spiderman is gay.

lol they already did that

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
What if they bring the gooniest moment in DC comics to the silver screen?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

man nurse posted:

I'd like to see Robin being killed by Joker with a crowbar adapted to the silver screen.

I also want a Spiderman movie that has Venom and Carnage in it.

That's basically it.

This needs full context. They were in Iran where Robin's mother was performing illegal abortions. Joker found out and threatened to tell the authorities, so Robin's mum told him where to find Robin. Joker then brutally beat him with a crowbar until a cliff hanger ending with whether Robin lived or died being voted on by callin. Overwhelmingly the vote was to kill him, although a lot of the calls were traceable to one guy's auto dial in machine. I think Robin's mum might've watched it happen and just ignored it. Later, Joker became the ambassador to the UN for Ayatollah Khomeini, meaning he could publicly go on US soil without being arrested.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Bogus Adventure posted:

What if they bring the gooniest moment in DC comics to the silver screen?

A lot of people hated this and Infinite Crisis in general (general theme of the comic: the idealistic silly old comics aren't coming back, stuff is hard and comics are better for it) but I found Superboy Prime - basement dweller funny.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Neurosis posted:

A lot of people hated this and Infinite Crisis in general (general theme of the comic: the idealistic silly old comics aren't coming back, stuff is hard and comics are better for it) but I found Superboy Prime - basement dweller funny.

I do like Superboy Prime the Internet Troll. It was the only thing that came out of Infinite Crisis that I liked.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Troposphere posted:

when the elongated mans wife was raped and then her memory was erased about it and then she was murdered when she was pregnant and her corpse was burned

a real heart warmer

This is a really good comic, of due note, and it explores the importance and nature of secret identities in really great ways. People deride it for being "dark", which it is, but I've always found this seems to be out of objection to the fact that there's rape and women get murdered rather than objection to the story, which really raises some serious grey area questions about the nature of the Justice League, the power they wield, and of course the importance of memories.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

8-Bit Scholar posted:

This is a really good comic, of due note, and it explores the importance and nature of secret identities in really great ways. People deride it for being "dark", which it is, but I've always found this seems to be out of objection to the fact that there's rape and women get murdered rather than objection to the story, which really raises some serious grey area questions about the nature of the Justice League, the power they wield, and of course the importance of memories.

The point is, the murder, and ESPECIALLY the rape, are completely and utterly superfluous to the story. They're NOT NEEDED. Hell, there's a rumor that supposedly the only reason there was a rape in the story was some guy in the planning stages just out and out said "We need a rape". The villain could have just as easily menaced the rape victim and threatened to do worse, and you'd have gotten the same result.

Really, the biggest example of how toxic the rape was (besides all the obvious stuff) that the idea was "this villain has become lame, we need to make him not lame any more", but once they did that, later writers didn't have any idea what to do with him except have him constantly talk about rape and do creepy sexual poo poo. It got to the point where this was even referenced IN THE COMICS THEMSELVES (one hero said of his now constant rape-talk "It's like it's his POWER now."). It did nothing to fix, improve, or bring anything new or interesting to the villain. It was just pointless "THIS IS ADULT AND MATURE AND EDGY" and in retrospect, it shows, big time.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cornwind Evil posted:

The point is, the murder, and ESPECIALLY the rape, are completely and utterly superfluous to the story. They're NOT NEEDED. Hell, there's a rumor that supposedly the only reason there was a rape in the story was some guy in the planning stages just out and out said "We need a rape". The villain could have just as easily menaced the rape victim and threatened to do worse, and you'd have gotten the same result.

Really, the biggest example of how toxic the rape was (besides all the obvious stuff) that the idea was "this villain has become lame, we need to make him not lame any more", but once they did that, later writers didn't have any idea what to do with him except have him constantly talk about rape and do creepy sexual poo poo. It got to the point where this was even referenced IN THE COMICS THEMSELVES (one hero said of his now constant rape-talk "It's like it's his POWER now."). It did nothing to fix, improve, or bring anything new or interesting to the villain. It was just pointless "THIS IS ADULT AND MATURE AND EDGY" and in retrospect, it shows, big time.

i think the issue is that it is a comic book and comics are for children. actual adult concepts take more than the dialog of a few comic panels to explore.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
A good batman one would be adapting batman as the insane violent manchild depicted in All Star Batman and Robin where after kidnapping an 11 year old whose parents have just been murdered (killing several cops with the batmobile in the process and ditching his date) he calls the kid a retard then earnestly and pathetically looks for the boy's approval and acts sulky when the kid finds his toys dumb and juvenile

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Cornwind Evil posted:

and instead of letting the character deal with it they murdered her when she was pregnant on I think her anniversary or husbands birthday or something lol. it was pointlessly dark.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

8-Bit Scholar posted:

When I first read Identity Crisis, I liked it because for the same reasons. However, the more I thought about it, the more I changed my mind. It would have made for a fantastic Elseworlds story, like Kingdom Come or The Nail, but it completely FUBAR'd DC's continuity by taking a stinky dump on the lighthearted history of those characters. It's something that they've been reeling from ever since, as evidenced by DiDio & Co making GBS threads out a new Crisis or retcon every couple of years.

It also goes without saying that the comic didn't need a graphic rape scene. I'm in the camp that agrees that artists should have the creative license to delve into the darker areas of human nature, but that was disgusting and in poor taste.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

every time I think "i'm going to get into comics", something happens. Either I read a ridiculous loving panel from the silver age or some cheesy grimdark poo poo that should only appeal to a certain kind of angsty 13 year old and I just think, naaah.

One time I went to north carolina to visit some friends and take a week of class at their wackadoo bible school. One of the 6 men i shared a doube-wide with in the hills of north carolina was way into planet hulk, he was in his early 30s, and after dinner every night he would read a page and go "HAHA OH WOW..." and then relay the full page of events, not even paraphrasing but painstakingly explaining every frame without really ever letting anyone actually look at the book.

So i've never even read a comic that didn't come bundled with a video game box set.

Is there a reason to try and get into the medium at 27 or is this something you have to grow up reading to like?

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

look at this stupid, stupid poo poo

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

basic hitler posted:

every time I think "i'm going to get into comics", something happens. Either I read a ridiculous loving panel from the silver age or some cheesy grimdark poo poo that should only appeal to a certain kind of angsty 13 year old and I just think, naaah.

One time I went to north carolina to visit some friends and take a week of class at their wackadoo bible school. One of the 6 men i shared a doube-wide with in the hills of north carolina was way into planet hulk, he was in his early 30s, and after dinner every night he would read a page and go "HAHA OH WOW..." and then relay the full page of events, not even paraphrasing but painstakingly explaining every frame without really ever letting anyone actually look at the book.

So i've never even read a comic that didn't come bundled with a video game box set.

Is there a reason to try and get into the medium at 27 or is this something you have to grow up reading to like?

It's a big medium with a testy fanbase, so it's hard to like everything. I like tongue-in-cheek stuff more, so I really enjoyed Cable & Deadpool. It had a good run and the two played off of each other pretty well. The Insuperable Squirrel Girl is also pretty fun IMHO. She beats a lot of bad guys with troll reasoning, and you get to see a more pensive side of Galactus in one issue.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Troposphere posted:

look at this stupid, stupid poo poo

It's even stupider when you find out who did it.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Vakal posted:

A woman with a gun, Batman's ultimate trigger.

If they didn't undo the new 52 change to Huntress, that's Bruce's daughter from an alternate timeline a decade or so ahead of the main one. So the moment is supposed to be more of a family disappointment one.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Neurosis posted:

This needs full context. They were in Iran where Robin's mother was performing illegal abortions. Joker found out and threatened to tell the authorities, so Robin's mum told him where to find Robin. Joker then brutally beat him with a crowbar until a cliff hanger ending with whether Robin lived or died being voted on by callin. Overwhelmingly the vote was to kill him, although a lot of the calls were traceable to one guy's auto dial in machine. I think Robin's mum might've watched it happen and just ignored it. Later, Joker became the ambassador to the UN for Ayatollah Khomeini, meaning he could publicly go on US soil without being arrested.

Lol I read this and then was getting ready to make a "I actually had to Google this to see that it was fake" post.

It's not fake.

basic hitler posted:

Superhero comics are garbage and if you think that they're stupid you should read Watchmen, which of course is now being incorporated into DC's retarded universe without any loving hint of irony.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
This one time, Wally West ran really fast and punched a guy, and it was cool, so no, superhero comics are not garbage. You must be thinking of your face.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Sunswipe posted:

It's important to remember why Green Lantern called his friend "Pieface."

lmfao

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

This one time, Wally West ran really fast and punched a guy, and it was cool, so no, superhero comics are not garbage. You must be thinking of your face.

Was this before or after Flash's past three incarnations and his half alien sister arrived from earths 5, 29 and 57 to help him escape from the third level of hell, where he had been trapped in the future by a psychic vampire masquerading as Lee Harvey Oswald?

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Cornwind Evil posted:

I am not sure it's entirely fair to blame the work for what it inspired.

DC's continuity has always been its biggest strength and weakness and the fact is is that due to the massive length of the print history of these characters, pretty much every conceivable thing has been done and ultimately retconned at some point. DC's continuity matters until it doesn't.

Bogus Adventure posted:

When I first read Identity Crisis, I liked it because for the same reasons. However, the more I thought about it, the more I changed my mind. It would have made for a fantastic Elseworlds story, like Kingdom Come or The Nail, but it completely FUBAR'd DC's continuity by taking a stinky dump on the lighthearted history of those characters. It's something that they've been reeling from ever since, as evidenced by DiDio & Co making GBS threads out a new Crisis or retcon every couple of years.

It also goes without saying that the comic didn't need a graphic rape scene. I'm in the camp that agrees that artists should have the creative license to delve into the darker areas of human nature, but that was disgusting and in poor taste.

Similarly, I'm not sure what "lighthearted history" this story is making GBS threads upon. It's a dark story using familiar characters to tell it. The purpose of superhero stories, in the grand lexicon of human expression, is to serve as modern day sources of myth. DC's heroes are as much concepts as they are people, and so they're ideal for a story where they explore the potentially horrifying consequences of a superhero lifestyle.

I can't argue taste or no taste; all my life I've basically been consuming media filled with tons of violent and sexual imagery so I guess I've a tolerance for it now, but to my understanding the rape is portrayed as a horrific action and not just some sort of excuse for titillation. I might be misremembering, it's been a long time since I read it. As I recall also, it is the crime that causes the protagonists to make the instrumental choice about the memory wiping, isn't it? So it's not completely superfluous, though again, I may be misremembering some points.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

This is avatar material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I am not sure it's entirely fair to blame the work for what it inspired.

DC's continuity has always been its biggest strength and weakness and the fact is is that due to the massive length of the print history of these characters, pretty much every conceivable thing has been done and ultimately retconned at some point. DC's continuity matters until it doesn't.

Similarly, I'm not sure what "lighthearted history" this story is making GBS threads upon. It's a dark story using familiar characters to tell it. The purpose of superhero stories, in the grand lexicon of human expression, is to serve as modern day sources of myth. DC's heroes are as much concepts as they are people, and so they're ideal for a story where they explore the potentially horrifying consequences of a superhero lifestyle.

I can't argue taste or no taste; all my life I've basically been consuming media filled with tons of violent and sexual imagery so I guess I've a tolerance for it now, but to my understanding the rape is portrayed as a horrific action and not just some sort of excuse for titillation. I might be misremembering, it's been a long time since I read it. As I recall also, it is the crime that causes the protagonists to make the instrumental choice about the memory wiping, isn't it? So it's not completely superfluous, though again, I may be misremembering some points.

it's dumb as hell actually

• Locked thread