Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

poo poo like identity crisis makes for unreadable and unfun comics. I don't want to read comics where the supporting female characters are raped and murdered as a plot device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Hellsau posted:

poo poo like identity crisis makes for unreadable and unfun comics. I don't want to read comics where the supporting female characters are raped and murdered as a plot device.

Then don't? I wasn't aware anyone was forcing you to read anything you didn't want to read.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Then don't? I wasn't aware anyone was forcing you to read anything you didn't want to read.

sue dibny was a fan favorite character from the lighthearted JLI if you liked that comic at all it was kind of hard to ignore them making GBS threads all over the characters from it, not to mention it was the heavily advertised ~world shattering~ event that leaked into all of the other books

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yeah the problem with that is if people don't buy the comics with your favorite characters, the publishers eventually can't publish comics with your favorite characters. I mean gently caress superhero comics readers but it's kind of dumb if the reason they're getting hosed is because the publishers are really stupid and publish obviously terrible comics that should have been killed when an editor heard the pitch. "Hey you know the beloved supporting characters Ralph and Sue Dibny? What if Sue was raped and then she gets murdered while pregnant?" should have been rejected immediately.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Hellsau posted:

Yeah the problem with that is if people don't buy the comics with your favorite characters, the publishers eventually can't publish comics with your favorite characters. I mean gently caress superhero comics readers but it's kind of dumb if the reason they're getting hosed is because the publishers are really stupid and publish obviously terrible comics that should have been killed when an editor heard the pitch. "Hey you know the beloved supporting characters Ralph and Sue Dibny? What if Sue was raped and then she gets murdered while pregnant?" should have been rejected immediately.

In your opinion. Identity Crisis was great. I'm sorry that comics has to take into account audience tastes and wants, I assure you I'd have loved to see many short-lived series go on longer, but you're sort of just railing at the world here. You're not obligated to consume media you don't like, and if you don't purchase it, then you may even encourage the company to try and court your dollar with stories you like. This is literally the business model, and it's what's currently motivating various more "light-hearted" and female-focused comic series.

Troposphere posted:

sue dibny was a fan favorite character from the lighthearted JLI if you liked that comic at all it was kind of hard to ignore them making GBS threads all over the characters from it, not to mention it was the heavily advertised ~world shattering~ event that leaked into all of the other books

Sucks if you loved Sue Dibny, but DC regularly prints comic stories for literal children if you really want to read a cartoon fun story with no Bad Stuff in it.

The Elongated Man being so overcome by grief that his body is falling slack as he helplessly coils his arms around his wife's corpse is a loving fantastic artistic choice. The pregnancy test part is fairly schlocky, but that's a great panel. Overwrought, but Identity Crisis isn't a particularly subtle story.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
audience tastes and wants: seeing a beloved character get brutally raped and then murdered when she's pregnant

comic fans loving suck, identity crisis was garbage and so are you

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
*Looks at comic drawing of ape-face Stretch Armstrong holding a murder-raped dead body, and also she was pregnant*

Hmmm... yes. Fantastic. loving fantastic. Art.

*Swishes wine glass*

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
👏what👏comics👏need👏is👏more👏rape👏and👏murder👏of👏pregnant👏women👏

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Troposphere posted:

lol you like dragon age 2

like come now lets be real

The most bullshit part about Identity Crisis was that Deathstroke somehow manages to take out the whole Justice League by himself like what even

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Similarly, I'm not sure what "lighthearted history" this story is making GBS threads upon. It's a dark story using familiar characters to tell it. The purpose of superhero stories, in the grand lexicon of human expression, is to serve as modern day sources of myth. DC's heroes are as much concepts as they are people, and so they're ideal for a story where they explore the potentially horrifying consequences of a superhero lifestyle.

I'm talking about the early Teen Titans runs, where teenage superheroes took down bumbling villains like Dr. Light.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I can't argue taste or no taste; all my life I've basically been consuming media filled with tons of violent and sexual imagery so I guess I've a tolerance for it now, but to my understanding the rape is portrayed as a horrific action and not just some sort of excuse for titillation. I might be misremembering, it's been a long time since I read it. As I recall also, it is the crime that causes the protagonists to make the instrumental choice about the memory wiping, isn't it? So it's not completely superfluous, though again, I may be misremembering some points.

It wasn't just that they wiped villain memories, it's that they messed with their minds as well. Zatanna's magic made the villains goofy, adding a darker subtext to why the Teen Titans were taking down villains like Dr. Light. It also implied that Superman knew about it and didn't care, and then showed that Batman was mind-wiped as well.

Troposphere posted:

it's dumb as hell actually

Seconded.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Troposphere posted:

👏what👏comics👏need👏is👏more👏rape👏and👏murder👏of👏pregnant👏women👏

She wasn't pregnant when she got raped.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

hey guys remember this fun scene from I can't believe it's not the justice league?

well what if she was raped, and then murdered while she was pregnant

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Grem posted:

She wasn't pregnant when she got raped.

rape, and murder of pregnant women sorry the emojis make it hard to read sentences, if you're dumb

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Bogus Adventure posted:

It wasn't just that they wiped villain memories, it's that they messed with their minds as well. Zatanna's magic made the villains goofy, adding a darker subtext to why the Teen Titans were taking down villains like Dr. Light. It also implied that Superman knew about it and didn't care, and then showed that Batman was mind-wiped as well.

Yeah that's kind of dope, as I said it presents a kind of sobering look at the reaches of the Justice League's power and the consequences for allowing your secret identity to be revealed. The primary threat of the whole story is that the love interests or families of capes would be threatened; to what extent would they go to address that? If the only limit on their power is a refusal to kill, are there not even worse things that might prompt them to do? It's a weird way to retcon some stuff, as DC likes to do, while writing a dark murder mystery that explores broad genre issues and concepts.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yeah that's kind of dope, as I said it presents a kind of sobering look at the reaches of the Justice League's power and the consequences for allowing your secret identity to be revealed. The primary threat of the whole story is that the love interests or families of capes would be threatened; to what extent would they go to address that? If the only limit on their power is a refusal to kill, are there not even worse things that might prompt them to do? It's a weird way to retcon some stuff, as DC likes to do, while writing a dark murder mystery that explores broad genre issues and concepts.

and it was executed in the worst way possible

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Troposphere posted:

and it was executed in the worst way possible

In your opinion.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Here are some of the better times of goofy DC stuff

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Bogus Adventure posted:

Here are some of the better times of goofy DC stuff

superbuddies was the best thing DC ever did and didio is a moron for ruining it

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

8-Bit Scholar posted:

In your opinion.

and most other people who don't like 90's x-treme poo poo

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

In your opinion.

this motherfucker is the worst poster in gbs

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yes, which is what would make it a good Elseworlds story to explore, not a stealth retcon that affects the entire universe.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
also

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Troposphere posted:

superbuddies was the best thing DC ever did and didio is a moron for ruining it

Someone needs to get rid of DiDio. Someone call Jean Loring.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

You can call what happened to Sue Dibny bad but it's not even the worst part of Identity Crisis. I need a Zatanna mind-wipe to make me forget Deathstroke beating the Justice League in a tiny alleyway.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

Mandarrrrrk! Bring me the head of Dexter and Dee Dee shall forever be yours!

Troposphere posted:

I feel like this could have been an alright more lighthearted/weird 60s-70s comics thread. Did you really have to spend 4 pages ranting about a terrible rape storyline that's highly disliked by most fans?

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

literally a hog posted:

I feel like this could have been an alright more lighthearted/weird 60s-70s comics thread. Did you really have to spend 4 pages ranting about a terrible rape storyline that's highly disliked by most fans?

comics have burned me and I must let the world know

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
a murder mystery where the killer was revealed to be some minor character who was secretly crazy and did it for no reason. right, what wonderful literature. people who think identity crisis is good have never graduated from ya novels if they read books at all.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Please post more weird early stuff, comic fans.

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

Troposphere posted:

comics have burned me and I must let the world know

Ok, but normally mods probate the weirdos who don't drop terrible derails.:shrug:

Also there's been about 75 years of DC comics at this point. Focus on something else.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Let's find good moments and let the healing begin:

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

literally a hog posted:

Ok, but normally mods probate the weirdos who don't drop terrible derails.:shrug:

Also there's been about 75 years of DC comics at this point. Focus on something else.

ppl usually get probated for backseat
modding, too :twisted:

post what you want to see more of instead of whining about ppl having a conversation

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

Bogus Adventure posted:

Let's find good moments and let the healing begin:

Super-complicated dating

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

Sometimes life hits you fast and its not all about Superhero-ing

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Grem posted:

You can call what happened to Sue Dibny bad but it's not even the worst part of Identity Crisis. I need a Zatanna mind-wipe to make me forget Deathstroke beating the Justice League in a tiny alleyway.

Iirc it was just Wally and Green Arrow and some Titans or something. Which is still dumb. Speedsters are too powerful for most villains so they write them as awful with their powers to let the narrative progress

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Holy moley new (2000's) comics are even worse than I thought

Did every current comicbook writer read Watchmen and Miracleman and decide they had to ramp things up to get noticed?

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

a murder mystery where the killer was revealed to be some minor character who was secretly crazy and did it for no reason. right, what wonderful literature. people who think identity crisis is good have never graduated from ya novels if they read books at all.

exactly this. It was so poorly planned and written that it's insane DC killed more than one character just for that dumpster fire of a story. What a shocking conclusion! The killer was someone completely random who did it by accident! What a hard-hitting look at the lives and dangers of superheroes' loved ones! :rolleyes:

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I liked that one cartoon movie where it was an alternate universe and batman's dad was batman and he just shot people with a gun.

edit: I would like to see that in a live action thing that would be pretty cool I guess.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Don't forget that Identify Crisis also showed that they also hosed with Batman. He walks in just as they mind wiping Dr. Light and freaks out over how wrong it was so what do they do? They mind wipe him too. They then spin this as to why Batman is so distrusting of everyone and why he always kept a file on how to defeat each member of the JLA "just in case".

Jukeboxblues posted:

I liked that one cartoon movie where it was an alternate universe and batman's dad was batman and he just shot people with a gun.

edit: I would like to see that in a live action thing that would be pretty cool I guess.

That's Flashpoint and DadBatMan is currently part of this whole Rebirth mess with the Watchmen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!
Identity Crisis was a pile of edgy shitlord tripe so bad that I not only ditched it after the second issue, but DC comics as a whole (and haven't looked back). Well that's my hot take, thanks for listening

• Locked thread