Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
Its marvel but i want the mini plotline where iron man and captain America love each other. Or maybe that was just stuff made up by other fan girls...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

a bone to pick posted:

So I just looked it up and according to reddit:

I'm starting to think DC stands for drat Convoluted.
lmao

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Its marvel but i want the mini plotline where iron man and captain America love each other. Or maybe that was just stuff made up by other fan girls...
seriously judging by the stuff discussed in this thread they might as well just let fans write the storylines

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

a hole-y ghost posted:

seriously judging by the stuff discussed in this thread they might as well just let fans write the storylines

They basically do, that's why DC reverted all its characters back to the 'original' version over the previous decade. The people who grew up reading comics wanted to write comics with the particular version they grew up with.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Every super hero movie should be an origins story that starts the entire thing over. That'll really capture the annual retcons they do.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Ride The Gravitron posted:

Every super hero movie should be an origins story that starts the entire thing over. That'll really capture the annual retcons they do.
Isn't this how it works already

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Legit want a movie about I Am Curious (Black)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

skasion posted:

Indeed, this is the whole point of Wonder Woman. The creator (the guy who invented the polygraph incidentally) was a slightly kooky psychologist who believed women should rule the world and that BDSM was a "noble practice" key to a healthy female sexuality. WW's appearance was based on he and his wife's live-in girlfriend.

Also invented the polygraph

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GeneX posted:

Someone explain what the gently caress is even going on in the DC comics main plotline right now

The last thing I knew about was that everyone was being turned into super powered zombies and then green lantern became god or something like that

Batman and the Flash are investigating some poo poo and it's gonna make Watchmen Canon the end

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

Mandarrrrrk! Bring me the head of Dexter and Dee Dee shall forever be yours!

uber_stoat posted:

that's my fetish.

Here are some of mine.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Make a movie about Supergirl's flying horse that wants to gently caress her imo

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Its actually really loving cool that one of shazam's enemies is a smart caterpillar

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

That Robot posted:

wow they really gave her sexist storylines back in the day, especially the cringey time they made her "secretary" for the justice league

ehhhh I'd rather have that kind of sexism than pregnancy murder rape rape rape bullshit

I mean in a perfect world we'd have neither but i don't think that's an option

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I think the Wonder Woman secretary thing was just incidental sexism anyway. They had to come up with reasons why WW couldn't go on JSA adventures because her creator didn't want other writers touching her. I don't remember why they didn't just write her out of the Society like Flash and Green Lantern, though.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

a bone to pick posted:

Its actually really loving cool that one of shazam's enemies is a smart caterpillar

yeah, i never knew this, i now like captain marvel a little more. why would they never use Mr Mind in the JLU cartoon, thats the perfect kind of villain for their big villain society. i guess maybe they didnt want too many genius-type guys there

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Caterpillars ripped my flesh! RZZZZZ!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

turn off the TV posted:

Man, Marvel really missed an opportunity to have a scene where the Winter Soldier rapes Tony Stark's mom while eating her alive instead of just shooting her. Really goes to show that the Marvel movies are kiddy garbage.

Don't worry, I'm sure they'll follow the storyline where Carol Danvers gives birth to her own rapist in Captain Marvel.

http://www.cbr.com/things-that-turned-out-bad-that-time-carol-danvers-gave-birth-to-her-own-rapist/
http://www.cbr.com/meta-messages-chris-claremont-sticks-up-for-ms-marvel/

There will probably even be a cute little post-credit scene where the Avengers congratulate her for the good news!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bogus Adventure posted:

Don't worry, I'm sure they'll follow the storyline where Carol Danvers gives birth to her own rapist in Captain Marvel.

http://www.cbr.com/things-that-turned-out-bad-that-time-carol-danvers-gave-birth-to-her-own-rapist/

There will probably even be a cute little post-credit scene where the Avengers congratulate her for the good news!

how did Beast from the xmen get into an Avengers comic?

Freestyle
Sep 2, 2014

by R. Guyovich

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

I want a story where Batman reverse gas-lights the joker by giving him plastic surgery to look normal, and every time the doctors talk to him they tell him his name is Jerry and he's an insurance adjuster from Iowa, while telling him he isn't the Joker, that other guy is the Joker, and that he imagined all of his experiences with Batman. Batman also has someone else put on his suit and talk with him with like a hispanic accent so he doesn't know what the gently caress to believe. The story ends with Jerry growing old in Iowa, getting married to a geologist who is barren, so they have no kids - but their love keeps them happy until Jerry starts to have a stroke and everything comes back to him, but now he's paralyzed and unable to communicate and Bruce Wayne comes to see him, and it's revealed that Jerry is actually Batman, and Bruce Wayne has actually been The Joker the whole time.
This is way more creative and compelling than anything the big two have put out over the last decade.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I like how they're still jerking off over how edgy The Killing Joke is, 28 years later. Unable to move on for the entire time I've been alive.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Bonzo posted:

Which one? There are three of them now running around.

Why does the joker on the right have a nazi haircut?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Rutibex posted:

He was a member for a bit.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Gaunab posted:

Why does the joker on the right have a nazi haircut?

he has stage 3 brain cancer...

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Does DC have a ripoff Blade? That would be p dope.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bogus Adventure posted:

To be fair to marvel everyone looked at the dude who wrote that like he was insane and then never brought it up again

Like it is the one piece of history that comics as a whole has agreed never happened and will never be discussed again

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Rutibex posted:

He left the X-Men a long time ago and was a member of the Defenders and eventually the Avengers. Pretty much everyone has been a member of the Avengers at some point. He didn't get involved with the X-men again until they formed X-Factor along with the original 5 (Cyclops, Jean, Iceman and Angel)

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

To be fair to marvel everyone looked at the dude who wrote that like he was insane and then never brought it up again

Like it is the one piece of history that comics as a whole has agreed never happened and will never be discussed again

And yet they let it happen. It's like how DC dropped the ball when they let Grant Morrison create Damian Wayne by having Talia date-rape Bruce. I know Grant said that he made a mistake in doing that, but it seems like DC liked the angle and ran with it:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/this-scene-from-son-of-batman-is-just-shockingly-creepy-1714477094

Because there's nothing sexier than remembering when someone drugged you, took advantage of you, and turned your child into the antithesis of what you stand for.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
Dark Banana Splits reboot

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

This is Marvel not DC but they should make a movie on the Spider-Man story where he's an old man who killed Mary Jane by giving her cancer with radioactive sperm and fights a bunch of cops during a riot started by J. Jonah Jameson in nothing but his mask and underwear

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Dr. VooDoo posted:

This is Marvel not DC but they should make a movie on the Spider-Man story where he's an old man who killed Mary Jane by giving her cancer with radioactive sperm and fights a bunch of cops during a riot started by J. Jonah Jameson in nothing but his mask and underwear

I'm sure that this will be part of Marvel's Phase 5

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Seeing the first panel, I legit thought that Batman was going to circumcise the baby

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Batmoil

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bogus Adventure posted:

And yet they let it happen. It's like how DC dropped the ball when they let Grant Morrison create Damian Wayne by having Talia date-rape Bruce. I know Grant said that he made a mistake in doing that, but it seems like DC liked the angle and ran with it:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/this-scene-from-son-of-batman-is-just-shockingly-creepy-1714477094

Because there's nothing sexier than remembering when someone drugged you, took advantage of you, and turned your child into the antithesis of what you stand for.

It was the 70s bad ideas abounded

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Spider-Man Reign unironically rules because it's Dark Knight Returns but with Spider Man

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ZDar Fan posted:

Seeing the first panel, I legit thought that Batman was going to circumcise the baby
*Gravelly voice
"MAZEL TOV"

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
We should just do the Marvel and DC comic book movie that has all the questionable, offensive, etc. storylines and characterizations from their their entire catalogs shoved into a single film for each company.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Casimir Radon posted:

*Gravelly voice
"MAZEL TOV"

Rabbi Batman will be the next elseworlds comic.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

It was the 70s bad ideas abounded

Nope. the 80's arc that got dropped just had Talia and Batman had sex/she got pregnant. Morrison did the thing where he forces obscure and silly stuff from the silver age into modern canon. Damian Wayne has only been around for a decade or so. I actually think the Batman being date-raped thing worked in a subversive way in Morrison's stuff. It's entirely done offscreen, makes a male power fantasy figure helpless, and if I recall it right, she didn't drug and rape him, she drugged him and took a sperm sample/Damian incubated in a test tube. But holy poo poo did the animated movie that referenced it do that wrong.

quote:

[...] in the PG-13 movie, he’s too wary to take a drink from Talia. Why? She gave him a drug in his last drink which, in her words, made him “romantic.” Batman only hazily remembers when she drugged his drink, but he knows what happened. And he doesn’t seem mad. When prompted he says, “It wasn’t all bad,” and lets his rapist cuddle him. What puts this over the top is the fact that at the end of the scene, Talia reveals that she was rubbing up against a man, and reminiscing about the time she drugged and raped him, all while their son silently listened from behind a curtain, waiting for the right moment to make a dramatic entrance. What. What?

Morrison's take on Talia in general was interesting since he took her from just being her father's sometimes rebelious pawn to a Medea type character lashing out at her former lover and father who used her to get what they wanted. But yeah I'd sure as hell distance myself as much as I could from a storyline DC has turned into THAT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Casimir Radon posted:

I like how they're still jerking off over how edgy The Killing Joke is, 28 years later. Unable to move on for the entire time I've been alive.

if i ever meet grant morrison i'm going to pretend i think he wrote killing joke and gush over how much i love it and see if i can make him cry a little

• Locked thread