Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
We need a Middle-Eastern Batman, but in that universe Ra's al Ghul is now an American superprogressive militant liberal named "Roy/Ray/Roger Allgood" who still plans to kill 90% of the world's population for environmental/social reasons.

The Riddler is officially now "The Sphinx", an Egyptian puzzlemaking and riddle-posing criminal roaming the Mediterranean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Jukeboxblues posted:

(I'm 23 but my mom says I have an old soul simply because I am quite was and refined as a person. I believe this is most likely due to some sort of anomaly within my genes leaving me with an overdeveloped mind)

sorry but this should be on every page

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

food court bailiff posted:

if i ever meet grant morrison i'm going to pretend i think he wrote killing joke and gush over how much i love it and see if i can make him cry a little

If I ever met Frank Miller I'd take a poo poo in his sketch book but really that wouldn't look different from what's in there now

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Coolness Averted posted:

Nope. the 80's arc that got dropped just had Talia and Batman had sex/she got pregnant. Morrison did the thing where he forces obscure and silly stuff from the silver age into modern canon. Damian Wayne has only been around for a decade or so. I actually think the Batman being date-raped thing worked in a subversive way in Morrison's stuff. It's entirely done offscreen, makes a male power fantasy figure helpless, and if I recall it right, she didn't drug and rape him, she drugged him and took a sperm sample/Damian incubated in a test tube.

So she drugged him and jacked him off? Ok.

JediTalentAgent posted:

We need a Middle-Eastern Batman, but in that universe Ra's al Ghul is now an American superprogressive militant liberal named "Roy/Ray/Roger Allgood" who still plans to kill 90% of the world's population for environmental/social reasons.

The Riddler is officially now "The Sphinx", an Egyptian puzzlemaking and riddle-posing criminal roaming the Mediterranean.

This idea is so lovely that I wouldn't be surprised if you were employed as a comic book writer.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying
Maybe they could make a comic book villain that doesn't want to blow up the world, destroy the universe, kill all of humanity, or throw puppies into blenders. I think that I read a comic like that once and it was pretty good.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

JediTalentAgent posted:

Frank Miller tried something sort of like this after 911 and even DC were smart enough to turn it down. So he changed the names. Holy Terror. Not-Batman murders a lot of Al Qaeda

Gaunab posted:

This idea is so lovely that I wouldn't be surprised if you were employed as a comic book writer.

welp

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Fruits of the sea posted:

Frank Miller tried something sort of like this after 911 and even DC were smart enough to turn it down. So he changed the names. Holy Terror. Not-Batman murders a lot of Al Qaeda

welp

lol that a 50 year old successful and respected comic book writer created his own version of fluttershyholocaust.jpg

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The guy who played Pieface in the Green Lantern movie is directing the new Thor movie.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

turn off the TV posted:

lol that a 50 year old successful and respected comic book writer created his own version of fluttershyholocaust.jpg

Curvy Young Infidel should be a username.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

muscles like this! posted:

The guy who played Pieface in the Green Lantern movie is directing the new Thor movie.

I liked What We Do in the Shadows. Could be good.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

turn off the TV posted:

Frank Miller has always been a piece of poo poo even going back to Dark Knight Returns

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
there's gotta be a frank miller hate thread somewhere on bss right?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

turn off the TV posted:

Maybe they could make a comic book villain that doesn't want to blow up the world, destroy the universe, kill all of humanity, or throw puppies into blenders. I think that I read a comic like that once and it was pretty good.

Some of my favorite characters are professional criminals who act professional, villains with codes of honor, and "not so bad" bad guys. Working stiffs who love pulling heists, living on their own terms, and have a begrudging mutual respect for the heroes they go up against, even when they get their asses kicked and get sent to prison. However, they don't want to take over the world or murder everyone in it, and they'd just as soon team up with the good guys against a threat like that, because it threatens them too.

I'm a huge fan of The Shade, Captain Cold, Deadshot, and Catman. I've always liked Flash's Rogues Gallery as a whole, because they make a great team and would be awesome heroes if they could get over the thrill of committing crimes and trying to get one over on the Flash. They won't hurt women or children, and they try to minimize collateral damage and avoid killing anyone who isn't a direct threat to them.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

speaking of terrible people in comics named miller what's mark millar been up to lately

'THIS IS THE FACE I MAKE WHEN I gently caress YOU IN THE rear end' - eminem, wanted

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

food court bailiff posted:

speaking of terrible people in comics named miller what's mark millar been up to lately

What is it with Scottish comic book writers and retarded ideas?

On a lighter note, I'd pay good money to see an animated Squirrel Girl movie as long as it's written by Ryan North.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Squirrel girl got a big ol butt (oh yeah)

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Gaunab posted:

Squirrel girl got a big ol butt (oh yeah)

Funny you mention that...

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

...Well? What does it taste like :confused:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Spider-Man Reign unironically rules because it's Dark Knight Returns but with Spider Man

yeah except for the radioactive cum (seriously the same point could have been made in a less gross fashion - all that's necessary is that mary jane being close to peter got her killed) and the fact peter parker looks like he's a loving hundred

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Man, the comic scene in the 90's was so different from now.

DC was kicking rear end, running fantastic Batman arcs like Year One, Venom, The Long Halloween, TDKR, Knightfall and No Man's Land. They launched Shadow of the Bat, which started out as such a great psychological read, stories like The Black Spider, The Ugly American, and Gotham's Freaks were really compelling. Reign of the Supermen and The Return of Superman had their problems but The Death of Superman was actually pretty well done. Doomsday just cutting a swathe through the Justice League like they were toilet paper was great. There was Kingdom Come. DC also had fantastic imprints like Elseworlds which had a ton of great alternate universe Batman stories, Vertigo which was killing it with stuff like Sandman and Preacher, and Milestone which I personally loved for having so many prominent black characters. They even put out a few good things into the 2000's, Superman: Identity Crisis, Red Son, Birthright, Lex Luthor: Man of Steel etc. Y - The Last Man, Ex Machina.

Then on the other hand you had Marvel, who was hemorrhaging money, forced to sell off movie rights to many of their most popular characters in order to put out garbage fires like The Spider-Man Clone Saga.

Now? I can barely read my old DC fav's. I don't even know what's going on with the Batman these days. I drop in once every few years and just see cringe worthy poo poo like The Joker cutting his own face off. I actually liked Identity Crisis, even though I saw its flaws. Still, I can't stick with any of DC's titles. I couldn't even get into stories which were critically acclaimed like The Black Glove and Batman R.I.P.

And on top that, right around the same time I was giving up on DC, Marvel was coming into its own. For all the poo poo people talk about him, Bendis was a breath of fresh air. Ultimate Spider-man, etc. Beginning with Avengers Disassembled, the Road to Civil War storylines blew me away. People bitched about Civil War and some of the criticisms were valid but it felt like a huge change from the boringly traditional "Heroes: Good. Villains: Bad. Punching Contest". Watching heroes struggle with political issues that they couldn't just punch away as a solution(even though they tried) was compelling reading. New Avengers Illuminati Special #1 is probably my favorite single issue comic ever. Then I loved the way Dark Reign turned the universe on it's head and it made Dark Avengers and Thunderbolts amazing. There was Bendis' superb run on Daredevil, Ennis' even better run on The Punisher MAX. The Runaways. Planet Hulk/WWH. AvX. Old Man Logan. And probably my favorite arc of all time: Incursions, which lead into Time Runs Out and Secret Wars. Now Secret Empire is just starting and Captain America has been surprisingly awesome given how stupid the idea originally sounded. All this while Marvel movies are tearing it up, and DC movies keep stumbling.

I do hope DC makes it back someday, they've got my favorite character in their roster and a lot of compelling story telling opportunities, they just have to get the right creative people in the right places.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 10:24 on May 14, 2017

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
in terms of comic sales dc is wiping the floor with marvel right now. all star batman and the superman comic have both been fun.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
I'm fine with anything as long as we cut Zack Snyder's hands off and tongue out so he can never direct another movie about heroes destroying property and screaming about how they don't owe anyone anything

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

So was Batman just tired or something? If he wasn't going to have the heart transplant why did he lay down?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Jukebox Hero posted:

I'm fine with anything as long as we cut Zack Snyder's hands off and tongue out so he can never direct another movie about heroes destroying property and screaming about how they don't owe anyone anything

Don't you see the poetry at work? Batman's mom had the same name as Superman's mom. It's the perfect work.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.
so superman is a full on right wing conservative dickbag right? i mean they always try to make him nice but he was raised on a farm in kansas, so like seriously. dude must have hated gay people so much

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

-Blackadder- posted:

Man, the comic scene in the 90's was so different from now.

DC was kicking rear end, running fantastic Batman arcs like... The Long Halloween....

long halloween was kinda cool but almost entirely because of tim sale's art, it's been ages since i've read it but doesn't the conclusion kind of totally forget to solve a couple of the murders?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Bobcats posted:

Dark Banana Splits reboot

You're the reason this exists.

Somehow still more dignified than Jared Leto in the Academy Award winning motion picture Suicide Squad.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Stranger Danger Ranger posted:

so superman is a full on right wing conservative dickbag right? i mean they always try to make him nice but he was raised on a farm in kansas, so like seriously. dude must have hated gay people so much

There's literally a Superman story where aliens come from a conquered planet to some small lovely blue collar town and he tells them they can't stay because they are taking their jobs.They even point out he did the same thing and he excuses it with "yeah but I was a baby"

Oh and this wasn't like some 60s or 70s story, this was 2010 the story was printed.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Depends on who is writing him

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Stranger Danger Ranger posted:

Kansas used to be a relatively progressive place, back in the day. And gays have only been truly accepted in urban centers in the last few decades.

Superman fought the KKK before it was cool. Superman owns.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
identity crisis is the worst of the worst. the guy who wrote it and anyone who still enjoys it at this point need to be put on some sort of watchlist.

wasn't there a comic from the same period where Green Arrow's former sidekick becomes addicted to heroin, loses an arm, and murders a dog in an alleyway or something like that?

edit - ah, found it:

quote:

DC Comics' The Rise of Arsenal #3: In what is probably one of the worst cases of character assassination in recent memory, Roy Harper (Green Arrow's former sidekick) goes spiraling downward after the events of the already-hated Cry For Justice (where his arm is lopped off and his daughter killed during an attack on Star City by Prometheus). Trying to cope with his loss, Harper beats up his daughter's supervillain mother (and monologues that it's alright to beat her because "she liked it rough") and attempts to have hate sex with her after he ties her up - which then leads to discovery that Roy is impotent. He then gets hooked on heroin (again) and imagines that a dead cat he found on the street is his daughter. The comic then turns into full-blown Narm when Batman shows up and proceeds to kick the living crap out of Harper while saying, "I'm your friend." Everything after this is practically a relief from the horrible lows portrayed in this issue.

oh yeah man, that's what comics is all about. This is totally edgy and cool and not at all indicative of the fact that DC Comics employees supremely hosed up dudes who hate women

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Bogus Adventure posted:

Yes, which is what would make it a good Elseworlds story to explore, not a stealth retcon that affects the entire universe.

I won't argue with that one, but as I said, generally speaking DC always worked on the "if you liked it, it was canon, if you didn't, somebody will change it in a decade" philosophy, so I don't get bent out of shape there. Continuity changes being a part of the regular series issues is a DC thing I generally like, it forces them to deal with plot problems within the context of their stories, which lead to some truly genius comics.

Grant Morrison's Animal Man run isn't really a retcon per se but it does a ton of crazy things with the characters' status quo and also explores the nature of comics.

Tato posted:

identity crisis is the worst of the worst. the guy who wrote it and anyone who still enjoys it at this point need to be put on some sort of watchlist.

A watchlist for your local Scholastic book fair, maybe! He's becoming popular as a children's book author:
http://bradmeltzer.com/TV-Kids-and-More/Kids-Books

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Arsenal loving sucks and it's hilarious how they keep trying to bring him back and it's awful every single time.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I won't argue with that one, but as I said, generally speaking DC always worked on the "if you liked it, it was canon, if you didn't, somebody will change it in a decade" philosophy, so I don't get bent out of shape there. Continuity changes being a part of the regular series issues is a DC thing I generally like, it forces them to deal with plot problems within the context of their stories, which lead to some truly genius comics.

Grant Morrison's Animal Man run isn't really a retcon per se but it does a ton of crazy things with the characters' status quo and also explores the nature of comics.

A watchlist for your local Scholastic book fair, maybe! He's becoming popular as a children's book author:
http://bradmeltzer.com/TV-Kids-and-More/Kids-Books

Cool, I hope his next "Heroes For My Son" book has more rapists in it

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Arsenal loving sucks and it's hilarious how they keep trying to bring him back and it's awful every single time.

Him and Donna Troy. No one has any clue what to do with. Kinda like Guy Gardner in the 90s

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Do you bleed?

You will...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, that makes sense. meltzer's most memorable work is only enjoyed by idiot children, after all.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

a hole-y ghost posted:

seriously judging by the stuff discussed in this thread they might as well just let fans write the storylines

Letting fans write comics is a big reason why comics suck so bad.

That, and letting characters keep going for 70+ years with tons of different writers and editors instead of just having things end.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Hellsau posted:

Don't you see the poetry at work? Batman's mom had the same name as Superman's mom. It's the perfect work.

This is so stupid that when I heard it in the RedLetterMedia review I assumed that they had made it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Gammatron 64 posted:

Letting fans write comics is a big reason why comics suck so bad.

That, and letting characters keep going for 70+ years with tons of different writers and editors instead of just having things end.

quote:

There will be DC characters throughout this, but this focuses in on only a handful. There is a lot of focus on Superman, and Doctor Manhattan. Doctor Manhattan is a huge focus, and his reasons for being here, and doing what he does, ultimately have to do with Superman. And there are many, many more characters to be involved, but it is a bit early to discuss."

• Locked thread