Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
(odds on thread being renamed within a few days because nobody can find it, whaddaya think)

Master of None season 2 premieres tomorrow, 12 May, worldwide on Netflix. Much of the season takes place in Italy as Ansari's stand-in lead Dev traveled there at the end of s1 to study cooking. Eric Wareheim is still around and Alan Yang still works on co-creator duties and of course Aziz's parents are back. Critics say it's more experimental than season 1 and equally if not more successful. Here's a trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGE-Mw-Yjsk

and some posters I like a lot but couldn't be bothered to resize for this OP sorry:

http://screencrush.com/master-of-none-season-2-trailer/

Only 12 or so hours to go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Bump for out. Premiere was real good.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Is will.i.am the cupcake show dj?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ep 5: http://clashofthecupcakes.com is a real thing

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Just finished First Date, which made me wildly uncomfortable. This season is great so far.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I'm very happy that Dev's dad continues to kick rear end

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Just finished the season, it's great. Very end of season finale spoilers: I'm interested to see if anyone else has the same brain fart I did in thinking that the final scene was a flashback to when Francesca slept over at Dev's during the blizzard, rather than indicating that she ultimately chose to leave Pino and throw the dice on a relationship with Dev. I had a much different understanding of the end of the show before I read Sepinwall's reviews and realized the mistake I had made.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I'm In Love With The Ramaniac

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Klungar posted:

Just finished the season, it's great. Very end of season finale spoilers: I'm interested to see if anyone else has the same brain fart I did in thinking that the final scene was a flashback to when Francesca slept over at Dev's during the blizzard, rather than indicating that she ultimately chose to leave Pino and throw the dice on a relationship with Dev. I had a much different understanding of the end of the show before I read Sepinwall's reviews and realized the mistake I had made.

Nah you're not crazy, at first blush I was a little confused about just what the gently caress was going on. But there was something gnawing at the back of my mind and I rewatched the scene and I realized that the dead giveaway is her clothes. e: and also look carefully at her left hand

Anyways, Season 2 was so, so goddamn good and I'm kinda depressed that we won't have more of this show for a good long while, if ever.

Noctone fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 13, 2017

heyniceperro
Mar 22, 2007

You're the one for me, fatty.
I just finished binging this. It's the only show I've been looking forward to recently and the season didn't disappoint! Lots of feels in this one.

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006
My wife and I binged this all weekend, it was so, so great. Enjoyed it a good bit more than the first season which was still one of my favourite seasons of tv.

I'm travelling Italy at the end of the year and the first two episodes have just increased my anticipation so much

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I haven't finished it yet but this Italian woman is ultra cruel

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Found the soundtrack on Apple Music that Pitchfork compiled. It's so goddamn good.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

The Italian woman has the emotional depth of a child. You could have swapped her character with the fat kid from the start and it would've been no different.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Commerz posted:

The Italian woman has the emotional depth of a child. You could have swapped her character with the fat kid from the start and it would've been no different.

Is this a pre or post episode 9 opinion?

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Seph posted:

Is this a pre or post episode 9 opinion?

Mid episode 9

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Pretty much. It was written by a guy.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Just got through episode 6 which is easily my fave of the season so far. The wraparound was great also.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Zaggitz posted:

Just got through episode 6 which is easily my fave of the season so far. The wraparound was great also.

That scene with the deaf couple is one of the funniest goddamn things ever.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Finished the season. 6 and 8 were highlights and are standalone enough that people should just watch them even if they dont like the rest of the show.

On pins and needles for the next season which won't be for a while if Aziz stays to his word, apparently.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Klungar posted:

Just finished the season, it's great. Very end of season finale spoilers:

Nope, I did too, then noticed what Noctone did

Anyway, I enjoyed the hell out of it, not that it was perfect or anything. And I kind of appreciate how Aziz won't commit to more. Here's a recent quote from Vulture (via Wikipedia — will tag for good measure):

Regarding future seasons, Ansari told Vulture, "I don’t know if we’re going to do a season three. I wouldn’t be surprised if I needed a looonng break before I could come back to it [...] I’ve got to become a different guy before I write a third season, is my personal thought, I’ve got to get married or have a kid or something. I don’t have anything else to say about being a young guy being single in New York eating food around town all the time."

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I loved the season. I watched it all weekend with my wife. We were hooked, and smiling all the way through.

But towards the end: We started getting a very Woody Allen, manic-pixie-dreamgirl vibe that we thought was beneath the show. When Francesca suddenly wanted to buy everything in sight in the pharmacy, we both had to :raise: the whole thing. Ultimately the whole build up of their relationship felt both realistic, and obviously idealized--sorry Aziz, but that girl was way too perfect and drop-dead gorgeous to be believable for you. It's like Favreau and ScarJo in 'Chef' all over again.

Aside from that, I felt it was one of the strongest seasons of TV I can remember.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

The show would be better as a sitcom with big bud and little bud getting up to adventures. I would absolutely love that.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

This was another good entry. I don't know if it felt as strong to me as the first season though. Perhaps because his love interest wasn't as complex in her presentation? I liked it and yall weren't the only ones on first glance to think the last scene was a flashback. Had to do the same double take, but it's the same mysterious maybe conclusion in feel of the first season. Maybe part of my impression stems from the fact this season was super Dev centric outside of maybe episode 6/8 and his friends/family besides Arnold don't appear much.

I liked it and will look forward to either more or whatever he does next.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I think this season had higher highs and lower lows. The Francesca storyline was arguably the worst thing they've done through both seasons, and the Chef Jeff poo poo didn't really pay off for me.

Thanksgiving, First Dates, and New York, I Love You are up there with Season 1's Parents and Mornings for best episodes, imo. Aziz knows how to nail those microstories.

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008
Just finished the second season. It's OK as a Louie knock off for the most part, but I couldn't really get behind the Francesca story at all. She's barely a character, so it kinda dragged down the end of the season when the entire show revolves around their relationship.
Also, I don't like how many non-actors and lovely comedian actors are in this show. I feel like it might even be more than the first season, and it's a slog to watch long scenes of normal people badly reading dialogue. Aziz is not a great actor but he's a whole lot better than Eric Wareheim or his parents.

It had been so long since I watched the first season that I had no connection or investment to Brian's episode with his dad. They should have just left him out of the season if they were gonna use him that rarely.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I liked the season. Not as good as the first, and the endings to the Franesca and Jeff plots kinda fizzled. They felt incomplete. Still there was enough good stuff overall that I give it a thumbs up

Mullitt posted:

Also, I don't like how many non-actors and lovely comedian actors are in this show. I feel like it might even be more than the first season, and it's a slog to watch long scenes of normal people badly reading dialogue. Aziz is not a great actor but he's a whole lot better than Eric Wareheim or his parents.

How much of it is the actors and how much of it is the artificial dialogue they're given. One of my complaints about the show is that too many characters talk like an Aziz sock puppet.

When Angela Basset shows up, her acting completely breaks out of that trap. She sticks out like a sore thumb in this world because her acting is so good in comparison to everyone else

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

I liked the season. Not as good as the first, and the endings to the Franesca and Jeff plots kinda fizzled. They felt incomplete. Still there was enough good stuff overall that I give it a thumbs up

How much of it is the actors and how much of it is the artificial dialogue they're given. One of my complaints about the show is that too many characters talk like an Aziz sock puppet.

When Angela Basset shows up, her acting completely breaks out of that trap. She sticks out like a sore thumb in this world because her acting is so good in comparison to everyone else

Some of the writing is not great, but a lot of it is the actors. His parents and cousin are not good. They wouldn't give a good line reading no matter what was written. Most of his friends in the show are less wooden but still can't deliver an emotional line to save their lives. The Thanksgiving episode was a standout because of Angela Bassett, but that's the only dramatic episode that's actually any good.
Thinking back, I can't really pick out why I even enjoyed watching any of the show other than the fact that I liked Aziz already as a comedian and I enjoyed some of the cinematography and guest stars.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Hey cuties.

I thought the acting was overall better this season but still the worst acting on TV (though his dad is adorable anyway).

I really enjoyed the vignette episodes and digressions this season. But while I can relate to the emotional beats of the Francesca storyline, it just didn't hold the same weight as his romance in season 1. Not only is Francesca more poorly written than Rachel--she just doesn't have the same chemistry with Aziz/Dev. It was hard to see why he thought she was so amazing besides crippling loneliness.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 19, 2017

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
At the very least this season got me to look up some of the music used, which led me to the realization I've been living my whole life without knowing that Soft Cell had a song called Sex Dwarf.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

For me, the best parts of this season are the parts with minimal Aziz on-screen, like Thanksgiving with Denise's family and the horror movie vignette episode. I'd be cool with him just making a cool show that he's not actually in.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

It was hard to see why he thought she was so amazing besides crippling loneliness.

The crippling loneliness was the point. In the tindr episode he plays it extremely safe (same opener, same routine, hell even the same venue) to the point were it stops being meaningful human interaction. By comparison, with her there was something that at least resembled intimacy which he latched unto because it was all he had.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

bentacos posted:

At the very least this season got me to look up some of the music used, which led me to the realization I've been living my whole life without knowing that Soft Cell had a song called Sex Dwarf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOViHCCmnJU

Always liked this one better.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

so who else was watching every scene involving chef jeff from his first appearance waiting for the shoe to drop on him being an rear end in a top hat in some way or another

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Brother Entropy posted:

so who else was watching every scene involving chef jeff from his first appearance waiting for the shoe to drop on him being an rear end in a top hat in some way or another

I got so used to assuming everything would eventually go wrong for Aziz that the twist happy ending for this season somehow doesn't feel right.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

I got so used to assuming everything would eventually go wrong for Aziz that the twist happy ending for this season somehow doesn't feel right.

i don't really think it's a happy ending in the long-term, all the stuff arnold said about why them getting together could easily go wrong is still true

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Until there's a season 3 and he fucks everything up with Francesca so that season 3 has a reason for happening, it's a happy ending

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Brother Entropy posted:

i don't really think it's a happy ending in the long-term, all the stuff arnold said about why them getting together could easily go wrong is still true

I got a real The Graduate vibe from it, despite it being a 1 second scene.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

eyebeem posted:

I got a real The Graduate vibe from it, despite it being a 1 second scene.

Same. It also reminded me of that underrated line from 500 Days of Summer where the narrator says the main character loved The Graduate but completely misunderstood the ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Reinanigans posted:

I loved the season. I watched it all weekend with my wife. We were hooked, and smiling all the way through.

But towards the end: We started getting a very Woody Allen, manic-pixie-dreamgirl vibe that we thought was beneath the show. When Francesca suddenly wanted to buy everything in sight in the pharmacy, we both had to :raise: the whole thing. Ultimately the whole build up of their relationship felt both realistic, and obviously idealized--sorry Aziz, but that girl was way too perfect and drop-dead gorgeous to be believable for you. It's like Favreau and ScarJo in 'Chef' all over again.

Aside from that, I felt it was one of the strongest seasons of TV I can remember.

Is it that odd to think that someone who'd spent almost their entire life in a small town in Italy would find American convenience stores amusing?

• Locked thread