Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

riscv did it/ is doing it like it or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I thought Intel's plan was to have Itanium be 128-bit so more data could be loaded into the registers from RAM, and you could do things like double the number of 64-bit multiplies in one clock cycle compared to 64-bit processors.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qkkl posted:

I thought Intel's plan was to have Itanium be 128-bit so more data could be loaded into the registers from RAM, and you could do things like double the number of 64-bit multiplies in one clock cycle compared to 64-bit processors.

most modern processors have 128-bit or larger vector registers that can do this, including x86_64

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Management posted:

most modern processors have 128-bit or larger vector registers that can do this, including x86_64

yeah but the bus can't do it can it? you can just load a bunch of stuff into the registers normally and do an operation on all of them at once

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

avx makes your chip really hot so i dont think the bus is the issue

invlwhen
Jul 28, 2012

please do your best

The Management posted:

it also has strict memory ordering that creates horrible unnecessary dependencies

don't tso-shame

travelling wave
Nov 25, 2013

some intel chip dude posted:

One that sticks out in my mind is when the Itanium effort was just getting going. We Oregonians were being systematically and purposely excluded from that effort. HP was worried that HP had brought some kind of intellectual property to the table for Itanium, and they did not want to see that IP appear in a competing line of x86 processors. So at the time they were being very careful to separate these two apart. We therefore knew very little about what Itanium was, we just heard rumors that it's kind of like a VLIW, which is what we did at Multiflow. Papworth and I would look at each other and think, as far as we know there are only two people in this company who know anything about VLIWs and that's the two of us.

Anyway, for some reason, there was an organizational meaning at which Albert Yu could not appear. He designated Fred Pollack, but Fred could not appear, so Fred designated me, and I showed up. So first of all I am two organizational levels down from who is supposed to be sitting there and I ended up sitting next to Gordon Moore. This was probably about 1994 or so. The presenter happened to be the same guy who was in the front of the car from when I interviewed with the Santa Clara design team; same guy. He's presenting and he's predicting some performance numbers that looked astronomically too high to me. I did not know anything about how they expected to get there, I just knew what I thought was reasonable, what would be an aggressive boost forward and what would be just wishful thinking. The predictions being shown were in the ludicrous camp as far as I could tell. So I'm sitting and staring at this presentation, wondering what are they doing, how is it humanly possible to get what he's promising. And if it is, is it possible for this particular design team to do it. I was intensely thinking about what's happening here. Finally I just couldn't stand it anymore and I put my hand up. There was some discussion, but you have to realize none of these people were really chip designers or computer architects, with the exception of Gelsinger and Dadi Perlmutter.

0:13:53 PE: Sorry Dadi
0:13:54 BC: Dadi Perlmutter, he's one of the executive VPs in charge of all the micros right
now.
0:13:58 PE: D A D I

0:14:00 BC: Yeah, his real name is David, he’s an Israeli. Everybody calls him Dadi. And then Pat Gelsinger who was the chip architect, designer in 386 and 486. But most of those guys at this presentation haven't designed anything themselves, they know how to manage complicated large expensive efforts, which is a different animal. Anyway this chip architect guy is standing up in front of this group promising the moon and stars. And I finally put my hand up and said I just could not see how you're proposing to get to those kind of performance levels. And he said well we've got a simulation, and I thought Ah, ok. That shut me up for a little bit, but then something occurred to me and I interrupted him again. I said, wait I am sorry to derail this meeting. But how would you use a simulator if you don't have a compiler? He said, well that's true we don't have a compiler yet, so I hand assembled my simulations. I asked "How did you do thousands of line of code that way?" He said “No, I did 30 lines of code”. Flabbergasted, I said, "You're predicting the entire future of this architecture on 30 lines of hand generated code? [chuckle], I said it just like that, I did not mean to be insulting but I was just thunderstruck. Andy Grove piped up and said "we are not here right now to reconsider the future of this effort, so let’s move on". I said "Okay, it's your if that's what you want."

the whole interview is good if you're into that sorta thing

http://newsletter.sigmicro.org/sigmicro-oral-history-transcripts/Bob-Colwell-Transcript.pdf

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

executives.txt

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Also why is HP actually going to ship anything with new itanium cores in 2017, are there seriously IT departments that transitioned mission-critical poo poo onto Itanium a decade ago and want to keep their dead gay system running on second-rate hardware until the end of time just so they never have to transition it back?

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
probably

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

blowfish posted:

Also why is HP actually going to ship anything with new itanium cores in 2017, are there seriously IT departments that transitioned mission-critical poo poo onto Itanium a decade ago and want to keep their dead gay system running on second-rate hardware until the end of time just so they never have to transition it back?

yes. itanium is the new mainframe. companies are stuck on it running their hpux and vms systems on slow, expensive hardware because migrating is basically impossible.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

blowfish posted:

a ton of 1990s HP-UX users migrated from HPPA to Itanium because HP forced them to do so. HP end-of-lifed all HPPA products, so it was itanium or nothing

migrating off legacy unix can be really hard. especially if you don't really care about the money you pay your vendor. it's much easier to write a fat check than get neck-deep in code archeology

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Management posted:

yes. itanium is the new mainframe. companies are stuck on it running their hpux and vms systems on slow, expensive hardware because migrating is basically impossible.

hpe sold openvms to a new company, "vms software inc"

their main goal is to port openvms to x86 by 2018

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

you can't spell shitheap without hp!

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

hpe sold openvms to a new company, "vms software inc"

their main goal is to port openvms to x86 by 2018

lmbo do not tell the power sector the last thing they need is a way to keep limping along their early 90's HMI platforms

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

this is a really good read, thank you

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lmbo do not tell the power sector the last thing they need is a way to keep limping along their early 90's HMI platforms

early 90s? all the banking and healthcare still on z/arch would like a word

i mean, it's not like it doesn't _work_, it's just old as balls

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

thx for this, found this gem too

quote:

0:27:22 BC: That never happened. Instead, for example five Intel fellows including me went to visit Craig Barrett in June of 98 with the same Itanium story, that Itanium was not going to be able to deliver what was being promised. The positioning of Itanium relative to the x86 line is wrong, because x86 is going to better than you think and Itanium is going to be worse and they're going to meet in the middle. We're being forced to put a gap in the product lines between Itanium and x86 to try to boost the prospects for Itanium. There's a gap there now that AMD is going to drive a truck through, they're going to, what do you think they're going to hit, they're going to go right after that hole" which in fact they did. It didn't take any deep insight to see all of these things, but Craig essentially got really mad at us, kicked us out of his office and said (and this is a direct quote) "I don't pay you to bring me bad news, I pay you to go make my plans work out".

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

blowfish posted:

executives.txt

quote:

Apparently T J Watson Junior had noticed that all the upper executives at IBM in the 1950’s and 1960’s were getting very rich and everyone else was not and he didn't think that that was a good idea for the company long-term.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Salt Fish posted:

Wait, what is the storage technology called? Pentanium? Or something? Optanium?

http://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/architecture-and-technology/intel-optane-technology.html

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

rjmccall posted:

arm64 is a really nice isa. in contrast, risc-v is garbage trash for idiots

if you don't mind could you elaborate on why riscv is trash?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

ate all the Oreos posted:

i would really like to see a new big deal processor architecture that's not ARM or x86 some time just because i think it would be real interesting and the way computers do things has changed a bunch since the loving 1980's but that's never gonna happen lol

or at least in the future when there's quantum neural cyberbrains or w/e they'll still have an x86 compatibility mode for running your company's lovely Java 5 accounting software

my man have you heard of this revolutionary new "mill architecture"

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

joking aside, SPARC64 XII is cool as all hell. don't even step unless your CPU has dedicated SQL cores

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Mr.Radar posted:

if you don't mind could you elaborate on why riscv is trash?

the core isa is super-riscy in that "yay we can run a lot of instructions now which is important because it'll take us twice as many instructions to do anything" sort of way. they made sure they covered all the basic c operations but anything even closely related like add-and-test-overflow or add-witih-carry is impossible to do efficiently with the base instructions. but mostly it's like, just read the instruction specifications and you'll see all sorts of bizarre and wasteful crap

like the branch-immediate instruction (jal) has a 20-bit immediate operand, but it's stored in a crazy order where 0bTSRQPONMLKJIHGFEDCBA is actually reordered as 0bTJIHGFEDCBAKSRQPONML for as far as i can tell no reason at all. instructions are 32-bit so the pc is generally required to be 4-byte-aligned but the immediate offset is only implicitly multiplied by 2 so the instruction only has ±1MB range instead of ±2MB. instead of burning 1 bit on branch vs. branch-and-link it burns 5 bits so that you can use an arbitrary gpr as the link register (but you won't get return-address prediction unless you use x1), which i can kindof imagine ways to use but not for anything important enough to justify dropping 4 bits from the range of this instruction. and really it should be 5 because both of these are super-common instructions and it's worth burning a second opcode on them

ok, next. the branch-register instruction (jalr) takes a 12-bit immediate offset. that offset is not scaled at all. the lowest bit of the target address is defined to be ignored, but not the lowest two bits so this can still fail dynamically from mis-alignment. as far as i can tell this immediate exists solely because they wanted to use a two-operand instruction format; i am really blanking on what it would be used for. the spec suggests it could be used to implement fast library calls by doing absolute branches to ±2KB, which is like, yes please let me just give memcpy a small integer absolute address, i am doing research into how easy i can make it to write security exploits

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

atomicthumbs posted:

joking aside, SPARC64 XII is cool as all hell. don't even step unless your CPU has dedicated SQL cores

as/400: you rang?

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

atomicthumbs posted:

lol we had some solaris servers, but they were the ones with more threads for webservers iirc

they were being used as database servers :sad:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

rjmccall posted:

the core isa is super-riscy in that "yay we can run a lot of instructions now which is important because it'll take us twice as many instructions to do anything" sort of way. they made sure they covered all the basic c operations but anything even closely related like add-and-test-overflow or add-witih-carry is impossible to do efficiently with the base instructions. but mostly it's like, just read the instruction specifications and you'll see all sorts of bizarre and wasteful crap

like the branch-immediate instruction (jal) has a 20-bit immediate operand, but it's stored in a crazy order where 0bTSRQPONMLKJIHGFEDCBA is actually reordered as 0bTJIHGFEDCBAKSRQPONML for as far as i can tell no reason at all. instructions are 32-bit so the pc is generally required to be 4-byte-aligned but the immediate offset is only implicitly multiplied by 2 so the instruction only has ±1MB range instead of ±2MB. instead of burning 1 bit on branch vs. branch-and-link it burns 5 bits so that you can use an arbitrary gpr as the link register (but you won't get return-address prediction unless you use x1), which i can kindof imagine ways to use but not for anything important enough to justify dropping 4 bits from the range of this instruction. and really it should be 5 because both of these are super-common instructions and it's worth burning a second opcode on them

ok, next. the branch-register instruction (jalr) takes a 12-bit immediate offset. that offset is not scaled at all. the lowest bit of the target address is defined to be ignored, but not the lowest two bits so this can still fail dynamically from mis-alignment. as far as i can tell this immediate exists solely because they wanted to use a two-operand instruction format; i am really blanking on what it would be used for. the spec suggests it could be used to implement fast library calls by doing absolute branches to ±2KB, which is like, yes please let me just give memcpy a small integer absolute address, i am doing research into how easy i can make it to write security exploits

sounds like it was written by a bunch of academics with weird little bullshit pet reasons for all the quirks

oh wait it was wasn't it

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
gonna change my name to RISCy business

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lowtax appreciates your donation

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

lowtax appreciates your donation

i already bought tekken 7 so i have nothing better to spend my money on

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

carry on then posted:

as/400: you rang?

call me when as/400 gets 8 threads per core with 12 cores at 4.35 ghz :smuggo:

edit: die size of 795 mm2

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

what the heck is software on chip

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Bloody posted:

what the heck is software on chip

various acceleration implemented as RISC instructions instead of coprocessing units

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

is an oracle number a really enterprisey number?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

atomicthumbs posted:

call me when as/400 gets 8 threads per core with 12 cores at 4.35 ghz :smuggo:

edit: die size of 795 mm2

i was a gonna say they were doing it in the 80s but apparently power9 does have 12x8 @ 4ghz so possibly :shrug:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

mishaq posted:

is an oracle number a really enterprisey number?

if you have to ask you can't afford it

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Salt Fish posted:

Wait, what is the storage technology called? Pentanium? Or something? Optanium?

tane

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

quantx

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
itanium is like this

kinda cool
totally worthless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy