Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

ate all the Oreos posted:

i would really like to see a new big deal processor architecture that's not ARM or x86 some time just because i think it would be real interesting and the way computers do things has changed a bunch since the loving 1980's but that's never gonna happen lol

or at least in the future when there's quantum neural cyberbrains or w/e they'll still have an x86 compatibility mode for running your company's lovely Java 5 accounting software

my man have you heard of this revolutionary new "mill architecture"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

joking aside, SPARC64 XII is cool as all hell. don't even step unless your CPU has dedicated SQL cores

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

carry on then posted:

as/400: you rang?

call me when as/400 gets 8 threads per core with 12 cores at 4.35 ghz :smuggo:

edit: die size of 795 mm2

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Bloody posted:

what the heck is software on chip

various acceleration implemented as RISC instructions instead of coprocessing units

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

quantx

• Locked thread