Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hifi
Jul 25, 2012

echinopsis posted:

can someone give me an explain like i'm 5

like uranium was a whole new instruction set not backwards compatible with x86 but amd just added into x86 to make x64?

there was too much poo poo crammed in there

quote:

Instructions on Itanium are grouped into chunks of three, known as bundles, and each of the three positions in a bundle is known as a slot. A bundle is 128 bits long (16 bytes) and always resides on a 16-byte boundary, so that the last digit of the address is always zero. The Windows debugging engine disassembler shows the three slots as if they were at offsets 0, 4, and 8 in the bundle, but in reality they are all crammed together into one bundle.

You cannot jump into the middle of a bundle.

Now, you can't just put any old instruction into any old slot. There are 32 bundle templates, and each has different rules about what types of instructions they can accept and the dependencies between the the slots. For example, the bundle template MII allows a memory access instruction in slot 0, an integer instruction in slot 1, and another integer instruction in slot 2.

https://soylentnews.org/article.pl?sid=15/08/08/0322238

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

this too https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SuperH#J_Core

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

rjmccall posted:

arm64 is a really nice isa. in contrast, risc-v is garbage trash for idiots

i don't have any technical opinions but every weird architecture is supposed to be cheap and have quirky new setups like the hp moonshot thing and instead we get stupid crap from chinese companies trying to make a quick buck like the raspberry pi, orange pi, whatever the gently caress else pi

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

avx makes your chip really hot so i dont think the bus is the issue

• Locked thread