Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Bloody posted:

itanium dumped the x86 baggage in the jump to 64-bit which is good because x86 is terrible but bad because it breaks compat with trash old software

amd tacked on new 64-bit hotness to the x86 crapfest which is bad because it leaves x86 garbage littered around but good because you can still run trash old software

lol dropping 16-bit instruction support when the processor was in 64-bit mode was seen as too extreme for some TurboGoobers out there

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

That Robot posted:

lol where is that graph from?

the Itanium wikipedia page they compiled the various intel sales projections in to one handy graph

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

hpe sold openvms to a new company, "vms software inc"

their main goal is to port openvms to x86 by 2018

lmbo do not tell the power sector the last thing they need is a way to keep limping along their early 90's HMI platforms

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

is high speed mode a turbo button? because i want a server with a turbo button

enterprise stuff will arbitrarily gate cores or frequency modes or other poo poo that's already there in hardware unless you pay for an additional license its a weird sector

• Locked thread