Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwiVPkwY2ZE

SPOILER FILLED TRAILER!!

Get ready to marathon in one week, because Kimmy is back MAY 19th.

That is just one week, people!

I really liked the TV Guide article about season three, so it gets to be the low effort OP with the spoilers removed...

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is a paradox. Between its wall-to-wall jokes, zingers, sight gags, callbacks, non-sequiturs, deep-cut pop culture references and musical interludes, there is no show as wonderfully weird and jubilant on TV. But there's also no show that is as deceptively dark, which Kimmy continues to great effect in Season 3 - which premieres May 19 on Netflix.

The show's silliness and Kimmy's (Ellie Kemper) irrepressible cheerfulness have always belied the fact that the series is built on the title character's trauma: Kimmy was kidnapped and held captive as part of a cult for 15 years. Instead of shoving that darkness and melancholy in our faces, co-creators Tina Fey and Robert Carlock have been particularly deft in letting that emotional undercurrent bubble beneath the sunny exterior. You almost don't have time to process the gloom behind the barrage of jokes and gags until you slow down and follow Kimmy's mantra: just take it 10 seconds at a time.

Season 1, which primarily focused on Kimmy's unbreakable resilience, scratched the surface and eased you into her painful past. Season 2 forced her to confront what she'd been avoiding -- her PTSD and mommy issues -- through a series of episodes that were both entertaining and felt authentic (see: her "Happy Place" song). Season 3 builds on the Season 2 finale cliffhanger: Kimmy's former captor, Reverend Richard Wayne Gary Wayne (Jon Hamm) called Kimmy from prison to tell her that they're married, and he wants a divorce so he can remarry.

It's the type of bombshell that can come off like a shock play, but it's ultimately a stealthy gut-punch reminder that as much as she would like to, Kimmy can never fully escape or ignore those 15 years. The genius of Kimmy Schmidt is that, despite its buoyant veneer, it's not interested in the warm and fuzzy fictional catharsis we've grown accustomed to watching onscreen. Kimmy's trauma, in some form, is always going to be there for her to deal with -- it'd also be a disservice to trauma survivors to suggest otherwise -- and it's a struggle that the show colors with surreal farce.

Season 3 picks up two months after that cliffhanger, with Kimmy receiving the divorce papers. Kimmy's excuses and back-and-forth with an increasingly frustrating Reverend are funny and ridiculous, but they're merely comforting chuckles that mask her reclamation of just a little bit of power, control and agency. Beneath the delightful glee she gets out of it is the throbbing pain of all she lost for half her life. And before you know it, like a lurking PTSD trigger, the show slyly pivots off the safety net of comedy when Kimmy realizes that her current course of action is unhealthy and she needs to try to live her life.

Kemper imbues Kimmy with a bit more wisdom this season. Kimmy still radiates infectious joy and optimism, but you can see the repressed anger, and that she's trying to follow what she learned from her literal roller coaster ride with her mother (Lisa Kudrow) last season: nothing is going to un-kidnap her and nobody can fix everything, least of all herself. All she can do is accept it and move forward. Kimmy's slow shift in seeing the gray in the world -- as opposed to the clear good vs. evil that marked her time in the bunker -- and dealing with PTSD, challenges her innate, inspiring positivity more than ever. At the same time, it doesn't completely crumble, nor do those challenges stop her from still trying to do good.

Netflix shows "air" all at once, so once they go up, there's no need for spoiler tags in that show's thread. You should still use them in other threads that might mention the show for at least a month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpiJGd8EL8M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Netflix shows "air" all at once, so once they go up, there's no need for spoiler tags in that show's thread. You should still use them in other threads that might mention the show for at least a month.

Actually, TVIV has special spoiler rules for Netflix shows. Spoiler tags for the first 3 days with episode numbers attached, then it's a free-for-all after the first weekend.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I can't wait!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
This is a good show.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Titus was on RuPaul's podcast this week, and it reminded me this is dropping soon!

gently caress yeah I'm excited.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Oh poo poo I need to start a S2 rewatch!

Edit: Hahaha "Instagram canceled my account for a lack of interest" there are so many good lines I totally forgot about.

Popelmon fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 16, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yay funny.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I can't even remember what the second season was about.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

MiddleOne posted:

I can't even remember what the second season was about.

Titus taught a small town family about tolerance and Kimmy had bondage sex in the back of a cop car. Also, we met Kimmy's mom and Kimmy's mom was Phoebe from friends and was awesome.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I like this show.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
drat they pack the jokes in tightly in this show. It's hard to keep up and I love it.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
This is a show I cannot multitask to.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

SEX BURRITO posted:

drat they pack the jokes in tightly in this show. It's hard to keep up and I love it.

I think they were right on TV Avalanche when they said that Kimmy Schmidt suffers a little from joke overload, especially with all episodes coming out at once. It's hard to remember specific jokes when you get absolutely bombarded by them.

Also: "Vorhees a jolly good pillow, Vorhees a jolly good pillow"

Edit: "The CIA invented AIDS to sell quilts" Episode 4 owns.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

This is a show I cannot multitask to.

For real, I am just doing some cleaning and can't it took all of episode 1 to dust some shelves.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

In the first episode, the Sesame Street gag is so on point. I have the "Old School" DVD set and distinctly remember that scene. The kids play in a dump and then an construction site/marina with zero supervision. Just running around, trying not to die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi-qUh06KU0&t=121s

The DVDs even have a disclaimer on them saying the old shows are not really for kids anymore.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'm on episode 4 and god i didn't realize how much i missed titus' singing

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Popelmon posted:

Edit: "The CIA invented AIDS to sell quilts" Episode 4 owns.

Somebody call 9-1-1, this show just murdered me with that Israel joke and I don't think it's done with my body yet.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The payoff to Titus' episode 4 storyline is incredible.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
305: was that an actual OITNB crossover?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

It's the right actors and location -- even down to the extras.

Part of me hopes there'll be some sort of payoff on OitNB, even though that'd be ridiculous.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
305: Females are strong as hell.

This show is so loving good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
306 loving dying at 'Flouncy Magoo'

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

307 Is your overactive bladder acting like a gay black diva?

Wax Lion
Aug 24, 2009

Anybody else think Titus is speaking strangely in episode one? Almost a haughty British accent or something.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
So many 30 Rock actors.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pakled posted:

So many 30 Rock actors.
Great casting this season. I think I still like season 2 better, but I really enjoyed Tina Fey as Andrea.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Hell yes!! A new season of fantastic.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
(306) BUS LYFE

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
The TV IV > Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Season 3: Heavenly father, I need my Kimmy!

Halfway through the season and I'm blown away by how amazing Titus is in this one. 308 "What? I'm just being my hilarious self now that my soul isn't burdened with its darkest secrets."

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

This is just as good as taking a anti depressant.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
lol (S3E10) The Washington Guntakers

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Escobarbarian posted:

I have this theory that there is a Netflixiverse. More evidence is that Kimmy's androgynous boss at the Christmas store in season 2 was also one of the zombie hand ninjas in season 2 of Daredevil. Also, that would mean UKS is in the Marvel Universe and in the last season we discover that she is literally, unbreakable like Luke Cage. I guess what I am hoping for is Kimmy to eventually lead the Avengers but cutting out mid-mission to bring Titus a new VHS head cleaner.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Titus may be one of the best comedic characters of modern times. He mixes whimsy, pathos, humor, wit, caricature, and truth into a single relatable and cartoonesque person. He's no one anyone knows in real life, but probably reminds everyone of at least two or three people they know. This show is pretty good, but Tituss Burgess makes it exponentially better.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Pakled posted:

lol (S3E10) The Washington Guntakers

Jacksonville Hillaries :allears:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

Titus may be one of the best comedic characters of modern times. He mixes whimsy, pathos, humor, wit, caricature, and truth into a single relatable and cartoonesque person. He's no one anyone knows in real life, but probably reminds everyone of at least two or three people they know. This show is pretty good, but Tituss Burgess makes it exponentially better.

I am questioning my ability to even enjoy the new season because he is loving terrible at this point. And I'm only on episode 3. Ep2 with the dumb unfunny music videos almost made me just shut it off and not watch the rest.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I had to turn on the closed captioning to understand Lillian.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Hmm, not sure if I enjoyed this season. First few episodes were frantically paced, then they kind of ran out of steam. The worst episodes were probably

The ending feels semi-wrapped up. Like they aren't sure whether they could be bothered with another season so ended it with plots nobody would care about. So much of the stuff from season 2 that seemed promising kinda fizzled out.

Also, not nearly enough musical numbers.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
"As our wise president one said: Come on black people, what do you have to lose?"

Great season. I think it could have been a little bit better if the episodes were a bit shorter but overall it was a great season of a great show.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I'm on episode 8 and this season is really good but also increasingly becoming The Titus Show (I don't mind honestly)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

drunken officeparty posted:

I am questioning my ability to even enjoy the new season because he is loving terrible at this point. And I'm only on episode 3. Ep2 with the dumb unfunny music videos almost made me just shut it off and not watch the rest.

If you did not enjoy Lemonade Titus you will not enjoy this season

• Locked thread