Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I "get" the joke with Lillian I just don't think it's that funny most of the time

I appreciate that you really need that sort of character to do a lot of the situations that happen, like it wouldn't make sense that anyone else gets angry at whole foods. She's basically a plot device

CelestialScribe posted:

She, along with Lillian, are the two worst parts of the show by far.

I thought she was incredible in the first season and still pretty good in the second one but seems wasted in the third one. Like her character is very good in short pathetic bursts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I'm only three episodes into this season but I'm starting to think that I only really liked the first season but the rest just isn't really for me. The amount of focus Titus gets feels like overkill, which is a shame because he's a great supporting character. In fact, I feel that way about the entire main cast other than Kimmy. They all feel like characters that should be kept to supporting roles, but instead they all get equal focus and their shtick feels very played out already, like they've already run of ways to surprise the audience with them.

Yeah, I felt the same way with regards to the Titus episodes. I recognize that he's a good supporting character, but I can't stand him, and whenever he's the protagonist I want him to fail because he's just so ridiculously self-centered and arrogant, but that's not really the tone of the show.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Son of a bitch "Boobs in California" is stuck in my head today.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, I felt the same way with regards to the Titus episodes...he's just so ridiculously self-centered and arrogant

This is largely Jacqueline as well. They are both big influences on Kimmy's life right now, yet she has rubbed off on them and she hasn't absorbed much from them at all. She's Unbreakable, after all.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
All the characters on this show are broken in one way or another, except Kimmy.

CelestialScribe posted:

Does she have a speech impediment? I'm seriously asking. Her method of talking is really really strange.

The character is from New York. That's one of the accents they have there.

Lillian is delightful.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Lillian is delightful.

Kimmy's arc last season was recognizing she has PTSD and needed help to deal with it and slowly forgiving her mom for not being there for her when she needed her. She's still a mess this season but for different reasons Messing with the reverend in revenge when she needs to recognize there is no reason for her to continue letting him in her life

And it's Titus's thing this season recognizing he's an awful selfish self centered goon

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
313: "Cooking sherry? YOU DON'T TELL ME HOW TO USE YOU!" And then again with the rubbing alcohol.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

It always bums me out when shows get you invested with plotlines and cliffhangers that you expect to go somewhere, and then they just pinch them off in a new season because they can't keep the actors around, or can't make them work into new plotlines. Still, as for raw comedy and great characters this season is as good or better than the others.

With Xanthippe's roommates they fit roughly the same physical types as Kimmy's bunker mates. I was really expecting something there.

I don't think this is a spoiler just thinking out loud about it, but one thing I was actually wondering is if they were going to do the stages of grief one season after another, just based on the first two.. First season: Denial - Kimmy refuses to confront her past until the very end, and she tries to take on the word through optimism and perseverance. Second: Anger - Pent up anger manifesting itself in a fugue state and psychosomatic belching, ultimately blows up in the deli, and destroys her safe-place retreat. This season would've been Depression? But I guess it didn't really follow.

EDIT: Er bargaining I mean

Captain Lavender fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 24, 2017

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Lillian is delightful.

That is not just an accent. There's something wrong with her voice.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

She's a crazy old druggie drunk catlady who lived hard and shot her husband in the face. It's the character.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Yeah not really. I haven't seen anyone pronounce words so badly.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Maybe you have a hearing impediment.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

313: "Cooking sherry? YOU DON'T TELL ME HOW TO USE YOU!" And then again with the rubbing alcohol.

There's a visual follow-up later. When Kimmy is getting loaded on the stoop, she's got a bottle of "drinking alcohol"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The way some people online are talking, I should trade in all my progressive cred and start wearing a MAGA hat and read Briebart becuase I enjoy this season. Holy poo poo people are taking issue with everything, calling the show racist, and anti-woman, pro-rape and so on.

Holy poo poo, has progressives become incredibly humorless or is it just the people I know? Like Kimmy the feminist, the whole joke is these kids have these high minded and correct beliefs and ideals, but they still kids and will do dumb poo poo. Kid who calls his mom after rejecting isn't a "consent is for whiny millennials" but "this guy is a baby"" . Drunk as poo poo Xan was adorable. Everyone is completely over the top and turned up to 11, not unlike the Simpsons so everyones ridiculous. Maybe I'm just old and don't get the kids these days.

I think pretty much everyone from 30 rock save Kennith and Jack was on this season.

Omg Ray Liotta with a Bodega cat!!!

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

twistedmentat posted:

Drunk as poo poo Xan was adorable.

Alcohol's good; I like it

Captain Lavender fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 24, 2017

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Jim Gaffigan messes up Left and Right in E13 and it isn't part of a joke

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

CelestialScribe posted:

Yeah not really. I haven't seen anyone pronounce words so badly.

Just go to New York and hang out a while. As long as it takes.

twistedmentat posted:

The way some people online are talking, I should trade in all my progressive cred and start wearing a MAGA hat and read Briebart becuase I enjoy this season. Holy poo poo people are taking issue with everything, calling the show racist, and anti-woman, pro-rape and so on.

Holy poo poo, has progressives become incredibly humorless or is it just the people I know? Like Kimmy the feminist, the whole joke is these kids have these high minded and correct beliefs and ideals, but they still kids and will do dumb poo poo. Kid who calls his mom after rejecting isn't a "consent is for whiny millennials" but "this guy is a baby"" . Drunk as poo poo Xan was adorable. Everyone is completely over the top and turned up to 11, not unlike the Simpsons so everyones ridiculous. Maybe I'm just old and don't get the kids these days.

I think pretty much everyone from 30 rock save Kennith and Jack was on this season.

Yeah, people from the Internet never overreact, huh?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Maybe you have a hearing impediment.

Nah, Carol Kane has always talked weird. It's been her schtick since the 80's. I understand her just fine though, but saying it's her "character" isn't necessarily true. Go watch any movie or interview with her, she has a weird slur to everything she says.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe she's like Stallone and people are making fun of a remarkable overcoming of a physical defect.

Or she sounds like she's from New York.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Up to episode 6 right now, not sure if it's just me but I'm not really digging the A plot on this one. I've enjoyed the rest of the episodes, it's just this one that feels off.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I've watched up to 308 so far, I thought the first few episodes were a little bit slow and a lot of the jokes fell flat (aside from 302 Titus Lemonading), but it really clicked with me shortly afterwards. I felt like there was a run of really great episodes. I loved the Gretchen one, and 308 Maya Rudolph as Dionne Warwick was just amazing, holy poo poo. The 30 Rock cameos are great, I completely didn't recognise Judah Friedlander apart from his voice.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

twistedmentat posted:

Kid who calls his mom after rejecting isn't a "consent is for whiny millennials"

Assuming you aren't just tilting at strawmen the problem isn't that your friends are humorless, censorious progressives, it's that they're idiots.

How could you possibly think that was a joke about consent?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
13 episodes aren't enough :cry:

Season 3 was really amazing. I wasn't a huge fan of the second season, it had felt like they'd sort of lost their way and were having trouble figuring out how they wanted to move the show forward. The humor also seemed to suffer as a result.

This season felt like a surging return to form though. The jokes, man, the jokes. So loving clever and fast, it was like watching 30 Rock in its prime. I feel like they really benefited from a slightly longer hiatus.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

twistedmentat posted:

I try not to let outrage addicts bother me, but the criticisms leveled at that episode in particular have been really wrongheaded. I know Fey and Carlock are middle aged, but they seem to have a pretty good grasp on millennials, and the criticism is more sophisticated than "lol look how 'woke' they are". The biting part is when it's shown that they use a cockeyed interpretation of feminism to justify doing what they would've done anyway.
The show is not without problems (Dong was a problematic character, they really should have known the heat they'd drawn for casting Jane Krakowski as a Lakota native, etc.). but the point of the rowing girls was that no matter how sophisticated and knowledgeable college kids act, they're really still just kids, and generally all that learning is used to service continuing to be kids, but with a couple layers of irony added.
There's something really fascinating about contrasting Kimmy with those girls. It's kids playacting as grownups vs. an adult that more often than not acts like a kid. part of what makes Kimmy such a good character is that she's a lot more emotionally mature than she appears to be. That makes the conclusion that she has "emotional intelligence" rather than booksmarts really work.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Seriously want a shirt of Seattle Raisins You Think Are Chocolate Chips

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

PostNouveau posted:

There's a visual follow-up later. When Kimmy is getting loaded on the stoop, she's got a bottle of "drinking alcohol"

You're leaving out the best part! The back to the future gag: the kid dressed like Marty McFly coming out of the DeLorean and Lillian looks like Doc Brown. ”it's about your future!

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 24, 2017

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

dirksteadfast posted:

Seriously want a shirt of Seattle Raisins You Think Are Chocolate Chips

Me too.

So I can burn it!!!!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

wizard on a water slide posted:

Assuming you aren't just tilting at strawmen the problem isn't that your friends are humorless, censorious progressives, it's that they're idiots.

How could you possibly think that was a joke about consent?

Because of a shallow, surface reading rather than actually getthing that part was just part of a while joke. They also complained about how Perry going "oh so white girl walks in and gets a scholarship" was never addressed even though it's pretty clear he googled Kimmy and found out what she'd been trough and realized she needed as much help as possible

Though I am not saying to a trans person "you're dumb and don't get the joke" because that sounds exactly what some alt right poo poo head would say when their racist joke doesn't go over. Though this person also complained recently that Cis people should stop using cis to describe themselves because some trans people consider themselves cis. Is there a thing such as too woke?

Spatula City posted:

I try not to let outrage addicts bother me, but the criticisms leveled at that episode in particular have been really wrongheaded. I know Fey and Carlock are middle aged, but they seem to have a pretty good grasp on millennials, and the criticism is more sophisticated than "lol look how 'woke' they are". The biting part is when it's shown that they use a cockeyed interpretation of feminism to justify doing what they would've done anyway.
The show is not without problems (Dong was a problematic character, they really should have known the heat they'd drawn for casting Jane Krakowski as a Lakota native, etc.). but the point of the rowing girls was that no matter how sophisticated and knowledgeable college kids act, they're really still just kids, and generally all that learning is used to service continuing to be kids, but with a couple layers of irony added.
There's something really fascinating about contrasting Kimmy with those girls. It's kids playacting as grownups vs. an adult that more often than not acts like a kid. part of what makes Kimmy such a good character is that she's a lot more emotionally mature than she appears to be. That makes the conclusion that she has "emotional intelligence" rather than booksmarts really work.

Yep, that's how i felt too. I always thought the Native American stuff was done fairly well. Jaquelyn's parents always came across as "here's a stereotype, oh wait no its not, native Americans are people like everyone else".

I feel like younger people judge everything by how woke it is. Or that the kind of comedy I grew up with, which involved a lot of exaggeration for comedic effect and everyone being terrible so you can get away with having some problematic characters, doesn't exist anymore. Like the Simpsons, they can get away with a character like Apu because he may be a terrible sterotype, he is still better than Homer.

Finished the season, I want more of Kimmy's dog puns.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Did anyone catch 30 Rock cameo of Michael Benjamin Washington (Tracy Jordan's "son") as Ruben

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I loved the ending of the religion episode. It seemed like they were setting up Kimmy for a very awkward, cringe-humor situation, and then zagged right away from that in a great way.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

From the trailer I had expected this season to focus way more on college. Like, Kimmy living there and being entirely about it. And a lot more Xan, who is the best character.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

text editor posted:

Did anyone catch 30 Rock cameo of Michael Benjamin Washington (Tracy Jordan's "son") as Ruben
Yes

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This was still a funny season but maybe the worst yet? The arcs weren't very strong and a lot of stuff felt forgotten about. The whole Russ storyline was awful - is David Cross really that busy? And there were too many A-plots about weird stuff that really isn't that funny, like the whole bathroom key episode.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

This was still a funny season but maybe the worst yet? The arcs weren't very strong and a lot of stuff felt forgotten about. The whole Russ storyline was awful - is David Cross really that busy? And there were too many A-plots about weird stuff that really isn't that funny, like the whole bathroom key episode.

yeah it was just as funny as it's always been so i enjoyed it but the actual plots going on just felt kinda...there

even the semi-interesting long term ideas like titus finally getting some fame+money from a song he completely hates ends up feeling kind of underexplored

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale
Like, a big problem story wise I've seen with it is that they keep trying to bring up weird romance things with Kimmy, only to just drop them without any reason. What about the guy from season 2 who had to get the greencard marriage? Where was Perry during that entire time when she was forced out of college? And on that same line, though it was different to see him be cool with her, Perry's character seemed inconsistent. Like the problems he had with her seemed to just drop the minute neither of them were on screen together.

I also found the whole Russ thing to be just bizarre. Like they build up this whole thing about taking down the Redskins, then every thread of their plot feels dropped off. The fact that he wasn't really involved in it at all, the whole trickster god thing being something that went nowhere, and the solution ending up coming from something at the very end felt like they had no long term plan for it, and just kinda winged it by episode.

The only other thing that bothers me sometimes is some of the joke structures get a bit tiresome if binge watched, though I blame that more on Netflix than anything. It's the same problem I had binging Archer. You get big blasts of character quirks condensed into a few hours, so they can sometimes become a bit tiring, especially if they are bigger personalities, like Titus or Lillian.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Escobarbarian posted:

As a Ray Liotta and a cat delivery system, it was great.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

Like, a big problem story wise I've seen with it is that they keep trying to bring up weird romance things with Kimmy, only to just drop them without any reason. What about the guy from season 2 who had to get the greencard marriage? Where was Perry during that entire time when she was forced out of college? And on that same line, though it was different to see him be cool with her, Perry's character seemed inconsistent. Like the problems he had with her seemed to just drop the minute neither of them were on screen together.

Perry's initial negative read of her (mostly spurred by her oblivious comment of "why don't you just get one of these full scholarships??") seem to drop when he spent some more time with her and 1: realized that she's just kind of an oblivious person and 2: that she's just as dirt poor as him. Also he googled her at some point.

I liked their relationship and thought the arc made sense.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WHITE LADY

WHITE LADY

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I loved this season. I wasn't super invested int he arcs, I just love the nonstop jokes they do. Whichever one had the big storm: WELL I ALWAYS GET IT WRONG THE OTHER WAY!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
new ringtone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akoi-aIHN1g

• Locked thread