Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Man Titus loving kills it in this show. Holy poo poo he is so goddamn funny. It's a weird show because I watch it and I don't feel like I find it that funny as a whole but it makes me laugh out loud a lot, which most comedy shows don't do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Just finished the season, and echoing what some of you have said, and what I said earlier... it's a good thing this show is really funny because they either can't or aren't bothering to write a consistent season arc. I know that ultimately the humor is the only thing that really matters, but the way they handle the story arcs just rubs me the wrong way to the point where it's sort of frustrating to watch, despite laughing often. I get that it's supposed to be intentionally kind of loose, but then they do things to suggest that it isn't and that the serialization matters. A character will accomplish something and you're now invested and want to see where this thread goes, and they just abandon it, skip over major beats leaving you wondering if you missed something, or maybe touch on it briefly later on.

The result to me feels like a show that should be self contained episodes but is struggling to keep a serialized format because that is the new trend. Watching it feels almost like watching Mystery Science Theater, where you're probably only vaguely aware of what's happening in the actual movie, and don't need to be, since you're just listening for the jokes. This could be a great show instead of just a really funny filler show if they spun together a tighter season arc that actually paid off.

Kimmy goes to college... and it's barely mentioned, and then I guess she is failing her classes for... reasons? She meets Perry, her 3rd or 4th? love interest and... it goes nowhere, probably because the actor may not be available next season. Titus starts receiving some degree of success... and then... we spend an entire episode about him wanting to use a gas station bathroom. At least Jacqueline's Redskins storyline and Lillian's crusade on preserving their crappy neighborhood actually went somewhere and they both have been given some character growth.

I had the same issue with the final few seasons of Parks and Rec... just continuously forcing the characters into new situations with no room to breathe or tie up the existing plot threads.

Every Gretchen episode is so awkward and awful. I don't know why she needed another full episode based on her.

Xanthippe is adorbs and I hope she stays a regular character.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Xanthippe is adorbs and I hope she stays a regular character.

The increased amount of Xan was the best thing about this season. Now combine her with Deirdre and season 4 will be perfect.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

More Anna Camp always. I'm disappointed the episode she's been in so far (have a few left to go, don't know if she has another) had non of the intense lesbian undertones with Jacqueline from last season. Comedy gold.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

I also found the whole Russ thing to be just bizarre. Like they build up this whole thing about taking down the Redskins, then every thread of their plot feels dropped off. The fact that he wasn't really involved in it at all, the whole trickster god thing being something that went nowhere, and the solution ending up coming from something at the very end felt like they had no long term plan for it, and just kinda winged it by episode.

Yeah the Russ storyline really bothered me. We saw some big character growth for Jacqueline last season as she fell in love with him. I liked the character and wanted to see how their relationship would work out and now that character development feels like it hasn't gone anywhere. His awful family were also hilarious and I assume won't be in it anymore, which is a shame because this show does rich people are terrible jokes so well.

The Perry storyline was just plain weird. You could have removed all his scenes and it'd make little difference to the show.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Xan: "I want to fight you."
Kimmy: "No, you don't. I would destroy you."

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah. It seems like his purpose, whether or not they dated, was for Kimmy to learn about the struggles of others. Instead he disappears, and then surprise - Kimmy is doing bad in school and we aren't even told why, but magically she gets a dream job handed to her simply because she remembered a student's name?

It seemed so shoehorned in and kind of goes against the theme of the show.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

BEEP BOOP. We're in peak tviv when people are questioning why Kimmy was doing bad at Columbia and can't understand why her being Kimmy to a weird sperglord socially awkward nerd would endear her to him and a sitcom character would get a nice job dropped in their lap.

A wizard did it, does that help you?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

IRQ posted:

BEEP BOOP. We're in peak tviv when people are questioning why Kimmy was doing bad at Columbia and can't understand why her being Kimmy to a weird sperglord socially awkward nerd would endear her to him and a sitcom character would get a nice job dropped in their lap.

A wizard did it, does that help you?

actually i think people are more questioning why the season kept setting things up like kimmy going to college or perry only to forget about them once they stop being on-screen and go in completely different directions by the end

but you keep on doing your weird hostile affectation over tv show opinions if you want

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I just realized when Titus came over to Jacquelyn's he said his boyfriends name was D'fawn, which was his character on 30 rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wGMSKz3Ic0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUCAE-31_60

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2MuXDjFTy4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpVpDKZOEYc

Man i forgot how good that character was.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Brother Entropy posted:

actually i think people are more questioning why the season kept setting things up like kimmy going to college or perry only to forget about them once they stop being on-screen and go in completely different directions by the end

but you keep on doing your weird hostile affectation over tv show opinions if you want

Situation Comedy.

If you didn't laugh that's fine maybe the show isn't for you, after watching 3 seasons of it, one of them at least in less than a week, but I bet you did.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

zoux posted:

WHITE LADY

WHITE LADY

"I thought the tip was included!" was the hardest I laughed in S3.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I think Kimmy failed at Columbia because she was in a bunker for 12 years

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I think Kimmy failed at Columbia because she was in a bunker for 12 years

"One hundred percent."

*claps* "...out of what?"

Kimmy is basically too naive to function in academia and only got in because of her rowing. They could have spent more time on her struggles in school but it's very easy to buy her not making it in a prestigious university when she just finished struggling to get her GED.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I think if you come to this show looking for compelling story arcs then you're probably watching the wrong show. I think the jokes and character development comes first then the story comes second which i'm okay with. Also it was great seeing Xanthippe this season. I hope she sticks around for next season.

If you didn't laugh while Russ was getting smooshed then I don't think we could be friends.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
No don't get me wrong, I laughed a lot this season, and I did say that I know that is the main point. It's not that I want compelling story arcs, just that I wish they would stick to and follow through the ones they do introduce, rather than setting them up and then tossing them aside or dropping them.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It's kind of disingenuous to say "no one comes to Kimmy Schmidt for the arcs" when the first two seasons totally did have, if not tight or gripping, at least coherent character arcs for all the main characters, like how someone upthread pointed out that Kimmy's big issue to deal was denial in S1 and then anger in S2. This season felt more like stuff being thrown against the wall; only Titus had any kind of point and even that wrapped up by the storm episode.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Kimmy was trying to go to school.

Lillian was fighting Big Naturals in her ongoing effort to keep the neighborhood from being gentrified.

Jaquelin was trying to stand by Russ because he was a good dude and she could fight the washington gun-takers' former name from the inside, and she won, found her independence, and what she really wants to do.

Titus found out that he's an rear end in a top hat, kind of, grew as a person, kind of, and found out he's got what it takes to be a star, sort of.

Kimmy's arc was a bit weak I guess, but I'm here for the jokes.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

I feel like younger people judge everything by how woke it is. Or that the kind of comedy I grew up with, which involved a lot of exaggeration for comedic effect and everyone being terrible so you can get away with having some problematic characters, doesn't exist anymore. Like the Simpsons, they can get away with a character like Apu because he may be a terrible sterotype, he is still better than Homer.

South Park is continuing till season 23, Family Guy is 16 seasons long, and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is 12 seasons long so I doubt that idea of awful people being shitheads at each other doesn't exist as a form of comedy is true.

Anyway, would've been nice if Mikey could've stayed around, I was really hoping that he'd turn out to be right about Jeff not hitting on him after all since that no two men/women can be friends thing is an awful trope/cliche.

Would've been nice if the college thing had stuck around for a bit too since her getting a GED was a thing for like two episodes.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

RareAcumen posted:

Anyway, would've been nice if Mikey could've stayed around, I was really hoping that he'd turn out to be right about Jeff not hitting on him after all since that no two men/women can be friends thing is an awful trope/cliche.

From the first episode, I thought that plot thread was gonna be about Titus not knowing how to handle being with a regular guy like Mikey -- I figured someone like Mikey would have had plenty of guy friends from his job or neighborhood or whatever that DO come over to just hang out and watch baseball and stuff.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Phenotype posted:

From the first episode, I thought that plot thread was gonna be about Titus not knowing how to handle being with a regular guy like Mikey -- I figured someone like Mikey would have had plenty of guy friends from his job or neighborhood or whatever that DO come over to just hang out and watch baseball and stuff.

I was just expecting it to stay focused on just him and Jeff, honestly. We met his family and they havne't shown up since, after all. But yeah, I understand.

Last episode That Back to the Future joke got me

Episode 4 I wish that just one thing could've gone well for Xanpippe, we already did the song and dance about how she's a good kid like, the first season when she wasn't drinking or doing drugs and how her grades were good. I know that it's the joke but drat, it's not like she got to pick her parents.

Nothing against Tituss' acting but I'm still not a fan of his character. I'm just waiting to see how he'll manage to sabotage himself every time a chance to make a positive change comes around.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Really need a gif of Titus going "I don't curr" when he was lemonading.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Part of me kind of wishes Kimmy and Xan get a place together after she realized living with Titus is terrible. But then Titus basically moves in.

But that is kinda hackney.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The bathroom key heist ep was awesome. Kimmy snorting pixie stixs was amazing.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Man, Titus is such an rear end in a top hat. I don't think I like him anymore.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Man, Titus is such an rear end in a top hat. I don't think I like him anymore.

It's like he doesn't even like boobs in California.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Xealot posted:

boobs in California.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akoi-aIHN1g

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
You know, I know the masterpiece that came after it kind of made it seem insignificant in comparison, but did anyone else die laughing at "Every Jew got an e-mail that morninnng~"?

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Doctor Butts posted:

This is largely Jacqueline as well. They are both big influences on Kimmy's life right now, yet she has rubbed off on them and she hasn't absorbed much from them at all. She's Unbreakable, after all.

Yeah I'd say "so how is Kimmy gonna react to this plot point" is mostly the most frustrating part of this series. She's encouraging depth, or at least guilt, from characters around her, but not really growing rapidly herself.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Did they ask Carol Kane to slur her speech more this season? I can't understand anything Lillian says, and I don't remember having any issues in Seasons 1 and 2.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

DivisionPost posted:

You know, I know the masterpiece that came after it kind of made it seem insignificant in comparison, but did anyone else die laughing at "Every Jew got an e-mail that morninnng~"?

I sure did.

Another Titus line I didn't catch until a 2nd watch: "It was like Simone Biles trying to ride the roller coaster after the amusement park closed - too little, too late"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

drunken officeparty posted:

Jim Gaffigan messes up Left and Right in E13 and it isn't part of a joke

He must have missed that question on the crossing guard test!

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
when a man has sex with his brother-in-law, he's a stud

but when a woman does it...

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I love most aspects of this show, but the heavily stereotyped and clumsily referenced Native American bits are awful. loving... don't.

I have to skip those scenes they're revolting.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Pellisworth posted:

I love most aspects of this show, but the heavily stereotyped and clumsily referenced Native American bits are awful. loving... don't.

I have to skip those scenes they're revolting.

Which ones? The ones where Jacqueline totally misunderstands Native American culture? Or where her parents are normal people who happen to be Native American? Her not understand anything about Native American culture or history is the point.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I don't remember anything insensitive about Native Americans, but everything leading up to the NFL renaming their teams the Washington Gun-takers and the Jacksonville Hillaries is pure gold.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

Which ones? The ones where Jacqueline totally misunderstands Native American culture? Or where her parents are normal people who happen to be Native American? Her not understand anything about Native American culture or history is the point.

Yeah, this. Jacqueline is the one doing the stereotyping.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Cojawfee posted:

This. The jokes are always at Jaqueline's expense. Native American culture is never mocked or looked down on, but Jaqueline's shallow understanding of it is.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I love her dad going "We came here on the great metal bird...wait what I am saying? I was in the airforce" or something to that extent.

The Seattle Cookies You think are chocolate chip but are actually raisin once you bite into them.

I loving hate that. They're cookies, they're not going to be healthy if you put rotten grapes in them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Oatmeal raisin cookies are loving delicious!

But it can be offputting when you expect chocolate, I guess.

• Locked thread