Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Titus was on RuPaul's podcast this week, and it reminded me this is dropping soon!

gently caress yeah I'm excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

More Anna Camp always. I'm disappointed the episode she's been in so far (have a few left to go, don't know if she has another) had non of the intense lesbian undertones with Jacqueline from last season. Comedy gold.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Oatmeal raisin cookies are loving delicious!

But it can be offputting when you expect chocolate, I guess.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

fwiw I come from a small Canadian town, and one of my best friends is hella native. He and his sister are blonde/blue eyed, supet white. You wouldn't know without asking.

Krakowski playing aboriginal isn't that unbelievable, from a skintone standpoint.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 8, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

An entirely different character, for starters, unless they cast an aboriginal woman who can pass as white. Jackie as is would need to be completely retooled if they cast her more overtly aboriginal.

Which is fine, ofc, and I certainly wouldn't complain seeing more aboriginal people in main roles on non-Canadian television, but I'd rather have Jane in this show, myself.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Exactly. Either they would still have to cast a white woman, cast a metis woman with mostly white features, or change the character entirely.

There's nothing really offensive about the character, anyway, it kind of blows my mind when people get up in arms about it-- the character is supposed to be making fun of offensive people. Especially when juxtaposed with how incredibly normal and not stereotypical her parents are.

I could just be seeing it differently because I'm Canadian, though, and aboriginal people already have a lot of representation in media here, and the general culture of our country.

- Oh! And out of general curiosity, is the word 'native' not seen as kind of outdated/offensive in the States? Just curious about the differences. It isn't super offensive here (and I'm pretty sure I used it in a previous post) but instead that it's too broad a term. The general attitude is people have been leaning away from using it for a while now, opting instead to use terms First Nations or aboriginal (though there's been some pushback on the latter lately, too, iirc), or simply whatever specific band/nation someone hails from.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 8, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Cool, thanks for all the answers!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, eskimo has been considered offensive as long as I can remember, with Inuit being preferred for the Northern nations.

Something like 'eskimo kisses' is harmless, though. It's only really bad if you're using it to refer to people. That Edmonton team probably has had some controversy, but I don't pay attention to football unless the Grey Cup is on.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Oh, probably. drat I haven't heard someone say that in a while.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I don't think she sucked this season, but I agree. Lillian works best when she's off doing her own thing we don't see much of, and gets dragged into other people's hijinks. Focusing on what she's doing is fine, but not as often as this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Liz is a nice Greek woman which in my family means wife material tbqh

• Locked thread