Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I just finished the season, and imo this is the best one yet. It felt a bit more even to me, and it also handled all the plot threads better. and continued to be a surreal joke machine in the grand zany tradition of 30 Rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

twistedmentat posted:

The way some people online are talking, I should trade in all my progressive cred and start wearing a MAGA hat and read Briebart becuase I enjoy this season. Holy poo poo people are taking issue with everything, calling the show racist, and anti-woman, pro-rape and so on.

Holy poo poo, has progressives become incredibly humorless or is it just the people I know? Like Kimmy the feminist, the whole joke is these kids have these high minded and correct beliefs and ideals, but they still kids and will do dumb poo poo. Kid who calls his mom after rejecting isn't a "consent is for whiny millennials" but "this guy is a baby"" . Drunk as poo poo Xan was adorable. Everyone is completely over the top and turned up to 11, not unlike the Simpsons so everyones ridiculous. Maybe I'm just old and don't get the kids these days.

I think pretty much everyone from 30 rock save Kennith and Jack was on this season.

Omg Ray Liotta with a Bodega cat!!!

I try not to let outrage addicts bother me, but the criticisms leveled at that episode in particular have been really wrongheaded. I know Fey and Carlock are middle aged, but they seem to have a pretty good grasp on millennials, and the criticism is more sophisticated than "lol look how 'woke' they are". The biting part is when it's shown that they use a cockeyed interpretation of feminism to justify doing what they would've done anyway.
The show is not without problems (Dong was a problematic character, they really should have known the heat they'd drawn for casting Jane Krakowski as a Lakota native, etc.). but the point of the rowing girls was that no matter how sophisticated and knowledgeable college kids act, they're really still just kids, and generally all that learning is used to service continuing to be kids, but with a couple layers of irony added.
There's something really fascinating about contrasting Kimmy with those girls. It's kids playacting as grownups vs. an adult that more often than not acts like a kid. part of what makes Kimmy such a good character is that she's a lot more emotionally mature than she appears to be. That makes the conclusion that she has "emotional intelligence" rather than booksmarts really work.

• Locked thread