Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'm only three episodes into this season but I'm starting to think that I only really liked the first season but the rest just isn't really for me. The amount of focus Titus gets feels like overkill, which is a shame because he's a great supporting character. In fact, I feel that way about the entire main cast other than Kimmy. They all feel like characters that should be kept to supporting roles, but instead they all get equal focus and their shtick feels very played out already, like they've already run of ways to surprise the audience with them.

I hate the way every episode has me questioning if I accidentally skipped a few episodes or forgot major plot points, but I didn't - the overarching story is just all over the place to the point where it seems like it would be better off in a standalone episode format with no serialization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Just finished the season, and echoing what some of you have said, and what I said earlier... it's a good thing this show is really funny because they either can't or aren't bothering to write a consistent season arc. I know that ultimately the humor is the only thing that really matters, but the way they handle the story arcs just rubs me the wrong way to the point where it's sort of frustrating to watch, despite laughing often. I get that it's supposed to be intentionally kind of loose, but then they do things to suggest that it isn't and that the serialization matters. A character will accomplish something and you're now invested and want to see where this thread goes, and they just abandon it, skip over major beats leaving you wondering if you missed something, or maybe touch on it briefly later on.

The result to me feels like a show that should be self contained episodes but is struggling to keep a serialized format because that is the new trend. Watching it feels almost like watching Mystery Science Theater, where you're probably only vaguely aware of what's happening in the actual movie, and don't need to be, since you're just listening for the jokes. This could be a great show instead of just a really funny filler show if they spun together a tighter season arc that actually paid off.

Kimmy goes to college... and it's barely mentioned, and then I guess she is failing her classes for... reasons? She meets Perry, her 3rd or 4th? love interest and... it goes nowhere, probably because the actor may not be available next season. Titus starts receiving some degree of success... and then... we spend an entire episode about him wanting to use a gas station bathroom. At least Jacqueline's Redskins storyline and Lillian's crusade on preserving their crappy neighborhood actually went somewhere and they both have been given some character growth.

I had the same issue with the final few seasons of Parks and Rec... just continuously forcing the characters into new situations with no room to breathe or tie up the existing plot threads.

Every Gretchen episode is so awkward and awful. I don't know why she needed another full episode based on her.

Xanthippe is adorbs and I hope she stays a regular character.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah. It seems like his purpose, whether or not they dated, was for Kimmy to learn about the struggles of others. Instead he disappears, and then surprise - Kimmy is doing bad in school and we aren't even told why, but magically she gets a dream job handed to her simply because she remembered a student's name?

It seemed so shoehorned in and kind of goes against the theme of the show.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
No don't get me wrong, I laughed a lot this season, and I did say that I know that is the main point. It's not that I want compelling story arcs, just that I wish they would stick to and follow through the ones they do introduce, rather than setting them up and then tossing them aside or dropping them.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

Which ones? The ones where Jacqueline totally misunderstands Native American culture? Or where her parents are normal people who happen to be Native American? Her not understand anything about Native American culture or history is the point.

Yeah, this. Jacqueline is the one doing the stereotyping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

King of Foolians posted:

I agree 100%.

Also Lillian on UKS is fine but what made her suck so much this season was having her own plot. She works better as a side character for other people to play off of or to tag along on adventures.

I feel this way about Jacqueline and to some extent, Titus as well. Some Titus subplots are okay, heavy focus on him nearly every episode is overkill. Jacqueline was redeemed somewhat by having some character growth near the end of the season.

• Locked thread