Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
313: "Cooking sherry? YOU DON'T TELL ME HOW TO USE YOU!" And then again with the rubbing alcohol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I've also heard that "native American" is generally disliked more than just "native," and "Indian" is disliked by some people, and preferred by others. The obvious conclusion is that you should ask each individual native/Indian/First Nations/aboriginal/indigenous person what term they would prefer you to use, and then use that. Discussing First Nations people as a group, I would almost always say "First Nations" but I get the feeling that's a particularly Canadian term.

Also, Canada has a football team called the Edmonton Eskimos, and that's a bit controversial. "Eskimo" is apparently not considered as offensive in the US as in Canada, where it has definitely fallen out of favour.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

She's from New Yawk and she's hi-larious.

Apparently lots of people are pretty sheltered and have trouble understanding accents and dialects of English they're not familiar with. That's excusable if you speak English as a second language, but otherwise: really???

• Locked thread