Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?
Krasner seemed like by far the best man for the job, certainly better than Democratic machine-endorsed El Shabazz. I did my democratic duty and voted for Krasner yesterday. :patriot:

Since we finally have a Philly politics thread, how about the debacle that is the Philly Beverage Tax?

It's a 1.5 cent per ounce tax on beverages with artificial sweeteners -- soda, sweet tea, gatorade, etc. etc. with the proceeds going to fund pre-K for all Philadelphia children, and various improvements to libraries and recreation centers. It raises the price of a 2L bottle of soda by a whopping $1.01.

Since it was first levied on January 1st:

- Some stores uniformly raised prices on all drinks, including things like water, or even distilled water, and claimed the tax affected those drinks.
- Some stores uniformly raised prices on all goods, period, claiming that it was a "grocery tax" when no such tax existed or was proposed
- Harrisburg is trying to challenge the authority of City Council to levy the tax, meaning funds from the tax to improve libraries and rec centers are in limbo until the legal challenge is hopefully thrown out of court.
- Beverage distributors and grocers have lobbied extensively against the beverage tax (obviously) and threatened to lay off hundreds of people because consumers are going to Delco and Montco to buy soda for 35 cents cheaper
- Annoying posters at grocery stores, some places don't do free refills now, yadda yadda.
- The incumbent city controller (who lost yesterday) intended to do everything in his power to eliminate or obstruct the tax.

I don't drink sweetened beverages, since they're bad for me -- I stick with beer, an all-natural and healthy bread substitute, for which I pay a liquor tax, and a legacy Johnstown Flood Tax. Frankly I don't understand why everyone is up in arms about paying an extra dollar for a 2L of coke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread