Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Remember when it was ok that Inferno had stupid editing errors because they're a tiny subsidiary studio?

Warhammer 40,000 8th edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

TTerrible posted:

Remember when it was ok that Inferno had stupid editing errors because they're a tiny subsidiary studio?

Assuming that's from p112 of the rule book it's not in mine.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

TTerrible posted:

Manticrules.txt

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Did GW go out of buisness yet?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Fsmhunk posted:

They went out of bad business and into cool and good business.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

ijyt posted:

Like gently caress, that was lovely entitled gamers being lovely entitled gamers. Kickstarter is not a store. They communicated non-stop on their Kickstarter progress. They did triple shifts. Some manchild had to wait an extra month or two for a product that may not have existed if not for the backer money boo loving hoo.

Got my poo poo in February when people in my local scene could purchase it in October. You're right, it's not a store. It turns out waiting for a store to stock it would've hurried the whole process along by a third of a year.

They made the call to ship to retail before most backers had their poo poo. They had perfectly rational reasons for doing it, and backers are perfectly reasonable in being pissed about it.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Fsmhunk posted:

I hear malibu stacy with new hat is v. popular with their core fanbase

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Fsmhunk posted:

No, but it's still ok to be weirdly mad about them for years on end with your internet buddies, if that's your thing.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey man, we all have hobbies. For instance; divorcing oneself from the financial investment in the game one plays, to see said game from a whole new light! It's fun for everyone! What will one find in this rabbit hole of discovery? Something good? Something bad? Who knows! Either way, you may soon realise - you have spent entirely too much on tiny plastic/resin/metal mans.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

tallkidwithglasses posted:

No, but it's still ok to be weirdly mad about them for years on end with your internet buddies, if that's your thing.

Or to defend their honor against internet bullies if that's your thing instead. We're all friends here.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
All posts are welcome.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Is it ok to follow the drama and make fun of the game writers and community in the same way one would make fun of reality show participants?

A friend of mine from the club that came over last night for an infinity game told me about his forays into AoS.

Apparently there is a tzeentch (auto correct changed "tzeentch" into "recent change" :aaa: ) daemon list that just has shooty horrors that literally sit on the table edge. Because of the way tlos works, players are expected to just not being able to hide anywhere.

Also, please tell me about the "skryre fire" list :allears:

Not a viking fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 25, 2017

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
GW is insanely good.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Not a viking posted:

Is it ok to follow the drama and make fun of the game writers and community in the same way one would make fun of reality show participants?

The magic thread has lots of this and it's amazing. The big drama reveal that happened a year or so ago was when one of the pros who was known for weird deck building came out as a new nazi. :3:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Not a viking posted:

A friend of mine from the club that came over last night for an infinity game told me about his forays into AoS.

Apparently there is a tzeentch (auto correct changed "tzeentch" into "recent change" :aaa: ) daemon list that just has shooty horrors that literally sit on the table edge. Because of the way tlos works, players are expected to just not being able to hide anywhere.

Also, please tell me about the "skryre fire" list :allears:

I don't know smashing amounts about AoS but this seems like the kind of thing players could solve themselves by putting actual terrain on the board instead of the classic WHFB "two hills, two woods, random other inconsequential thing."

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Expecting the players to fix the problems that the game makers have created seem to be a common theme amongst defenders of GW games.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I mean, terrain's an actual fundamental part of the game that players are expected to put down, right? I think that's a bit different of a situation than expecting players to shame others for totally rules-legal methods.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

If it's TLOS, players can model for advantage which is the problem.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Chill la Chill posted:

If it's TLOS, players can model for advantage which is the problem.

Yeah, I agree TLOS modeling for advantage can die in a fire. Especially when it gets to ridiculous territory such as "well I have my flag hoisted real high, obviously I can pole vault up that and shoot.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

The Bee posted:

I mean, terrain's an actual fundamental part of the game that players are expected to put down, right? I think that's a bit different of a situation than expecting players to shame others for totally rules-legal methods.

How many war gaming forests have you seen that actually block line of sight? How about hills that block los to anything taller than a goblin?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

TTerrible posted:

GW is insanely good.

:same:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Not a viking posted:

How many war gaming forests have you seen that actually block line of sight? How about hills that block los to anything taller than a goblin?

None and lots, respectively, although I made the hills myself for exactly that reason. No one would play Infinity on Planet Bowling Ball so I'm not sure why GW gamers seem to be unable to cope with the idea of putting down solid los-blocking terrain a decade after it became relevant.

The Bee posted:

Yeah, I agree TLOS modeling for advantage can die in a fire. Especially when it gets to ridiculous territory such as "well I have my flag hoisted real high, obviously I can pole vault up that and shoot.

What kind of pussy puts up with this?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
To me abstracted terrain just makes so much more sense.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Corrode posted:

What kind of pussy puts up with this?

As Not a Viking mentioned, we shouldn't have to. The rules should account for this poo poo already. While I'm the type of person who would totally house rule more abstracted line of sight systems to make things less unfair, it shouldn't fall on the players' shoulders to do the rules' jobs for them.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

That's what I always thought. Wargaming hills are typically just tiny mounds of dirt as modeled, not actually hills.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I'm fine with hills being abstracted unless they're terraced. Balancing a model on a hill, or even getting a proxy base to stay in place, is tremendously unfun. I think there's also certain respect for the games' rules. Malifaux and Infinity do awesome with all kinds of terrain and buildings, but in WMH charging is a pretty important feature of the game and those terrain pieces become a huge liability - even more so than current forests and the like. Can't stick a Stormblade unit in a set of ruins and expect them to do well, though Gun Mages might appreciate it.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Can we talk about how hilariously bad Magic has been for a while? 5 cars banned in the current standard, the current draft format has a straight unbeatable rare in Glorybringer, and there have been three unannounced changes to what sets are legal in Standard in the past two years. On top of that, all their game designers are contractors, their online offering is 15 years old and the current iteration offers no meaningful improvement in stability or UX relative to what was available a decade and a half ago.

WotC sells cardboard crack but the poo poo they're pushing at this point is 50% baby formula.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Yeah, if I ever made or purchased hill terrain, it would basically be a plateau that I'd pretend is a hill. Hills are nightmares.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

The Bee posted:

Yeah, if I ever made or purchased hill terrain, it would basically be a plateau that I'd pretend is a hill. Hills are nightmares.

The places I've played generally use flat mats (in a different shade from the table) to mark hills, because, yeah. I remember seeing this called out in WD ~20 years ago but I've yet to see a better solution than just abstracting hills entirely.

Similarly with forests using a mat to mark the forest boundaries and then putting standalone trees on the matt for decoration (which can be removed when they get in the way of models) seems like the best solution, but it's completely incompatible with TLOS silliness.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Yeah. A differently colored segment of the board, made clear enough to say "okay line of sight for infantry stops here, capiche?" seems perfectly fine to me. Even if people insist on TLOS, I think only the worst sticklers would mind that exception.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Can we talk about how hilariously bad Magic has been for a while? 5 cars banned in the current standard, the current draft format has a straight unbeatable rare in Glorybringer, and there have been three unannounced changes to what sets are legal in Standard in the past two years. On top of that, all their game designers are contractors, their online offering is 15 years old and the current iteration offers no meaningful improvement in stability or UX relative to what was available a decade and a half ago.

WotC sells cardboard crack but the poo poo they're pushing at this point is 50% baby formula.

I don't know anything about Magic, but this definitely sounds like Death Thread material.

Contractors as designers is such a poo poo practice since once the project is done they're not super enthusiastic about following up or helping with the FAQ.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Is that a new thing? I haven't been a magic player in ages but it definitely used to seem like they had at least some permanent design people.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Is that a new thing? I haven't been a magic player in ages but it definitely used to seem like they had at least some permanent design people.

It's been a gradual transition over the past 5-10 years. They still have a couple full timers to write articles and be the face of R&D, but they've been churning through a million anonymous people for various sets and it really shows. There hasn't been a truly fun set to draft for at least 4-5 years, and there have been a couple that were completely horrendous, either through busted unbeatable rares, some colors being essentially unplayable, or the format either being absurdly fast or mindnumbingly grindy.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

It's been a gradual transition over the past 5-10 years. They still have a couple full timers to write articles and be the face of R&D, but they've been churning through a million anonymous people for various sets and it really shows. There hasn't been a truly fun set to draft for at least 4-5 years, and there have been a couple that were completely horrendous, either through busted unbeatable rares, some colors being essentially unplayable, or the format either being absurdly fast or mindnumbingly grindy.

I stopped playing properly after just after Origins dropped due to life obligations and tried to get back in when Zendikar 2 came out but those two sets were unbelievably bland, especially compared to the first Zendikar block. I tried again in Innistrad 2 and hit the same brick wall there, especially when Eldrich Moon came out and did little to nothing to build on what few interesting mechanics SoI had. From what I heard, Kaladesh was another boring mess marred by a trio of singularly overpowered cards and Amonkhet is shaping up the same way.

It's a shame really, the settings and flavour seems pretty on point but the card design and storyline are a dumpster-fire. I wanna hope and say they'll pull their fingers out for the next set because the concept sounds cool, but it's a guarentee they'll flounder all over the place like they have since the end of Tarkir.

Ah well, there's always Commander.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

SteelMentor posted:

I stopped playing properly after just after Origins dropped due to life obligations and tried to get back in when Zendikar 2 came out but those two sets were unbelievably bland, especially compared to the first Zendikar block. I tried again in Innistrad 2 and hit the same brick wall there, especially when Eldrich Moon came out and did little to nothing to build on what few interesting mechanics SoI had. From what I heard, Kaladesh was another boring mess marred by a trio of singularly overpowered cards and Amonkhet is shaping up the same way.

It's a shame really, the settings and flavour seems pretty on point but the card design and storyline are a dumpster-fire. I wanna hope and say they'll pull their fingers out for the next set because the concept sounds cool, but it's a guarentee they'll flounder all over the place like they have since the end of Tarkir.

Ah well, there's always Commander.

I have some buddies who have done tours of duty at WotC and the scuttlebutt I heard was that there was a big political battle between the brand and design teams over who had ultimate ownership of the MtG product. I think the past few years have shown that brand probably won- there are a lot of interesting, fun worlds and a coherent storyline they're showing us, but the actual product has been garbage and really really bad to play. I only really play through my sealed league at work these days, and it's really been fundamentally about opening busted rares and hoping to draw them during games- there just aren't efficient, common answers to big threats any more, so if you open the big scary dragon and can play it for half your games it's very hard to lose matches.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

I didn't even know MtG had lore except the blurbs on the card :v:

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

I have some buddies who have done tours of duty at WotC and the scuttlebutt I heard was that there was a big political battle between the brand and design teams over who had ultimate ownership of the MtG product. I think the past few years have shown that brand probably won- there are a lot of interesting, fun worlds and a coherent storyline they're showing us, but the actual product has been garbage and really really bad to play. I only really play through my sealed league at work these days, and it's really been fundamentally about opening busted rares and hoping to draw them during games- there just aren't efficient, common answers to big threats any more, so if you open the big scary dragon and can play it for half your games it's very hard to lose matches.

That seems to be the crux of the problem, inter-set balance is all over the place. A card is either completely ridiculously good or it's complete garbage, pretty much to the point you're actively sabotaging your deck if you don't include (x), (y) and (z).

Which then leads into the horrific mess that it is to get into Magic, at least in any competitive sense, since those cards are so vital. So either you spend a small fortune to crack packs and get super lucky, or you shell out for the specific cards on the horrificly bloated aftermarket. For the price of a decent standard Magic deck, I could easily get myself a fair sized Wargaming army, and I won't need to rotate that out to keep up with standard.

How's Modern and the eternal formats doing nowerdays? When Is stopped playing Modern was in a mess and now there's something called Frontier which just sounds awful.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

TTerrible posted:

GW is insanely good.

GW is good, FW is evil. The world has turned on its head.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

It is pretty interesting that Magic has always had a really neat implied setting, but never does anything about it. Pretty weird they don't make a tabletop RPG with all this Intellectual Property they are creating. I mean an RPG about petty multiverse spanning wizards who can summon armies of slaves trying to screw with each other would be amazing.

On a related note, I am super excited about L5R coming back from FFG totally redoing the timeline is absolutely the best thing about it. Back when I was playing seriously every story prize was always Ratlings secretly help Clan (almost exclusively Unicorn) Do A Thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

New-ish. We poo poo on them for their decisions and hilarious attempts at damage control in the main thread. "Standard is bad" is a permanent mantra now.

• Locked thread