Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

evilmiera posted:

GW is good, FW is evil. The world has turned on its head.

When was FW declared evil? I am not up to date friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

TTerrible posted:

When was FW declared evil? I am not up to date friend.

It was last night, we must've been late in delivering the memo.

Actually in all honesty they're not evil just massively incompetent when it comes to rules. Not just in terms of releasing models with broken ones but some of the updated rules for 8th edition for older models just plain don't work or are either incredibly overpowered or completely pointless to ever bring for any reason.

The main one that people tend to bring up is the Tau flyer that stops being able to shoot its guns in 8th. Not "isn't as good at shooting" or "can only shoot in certain circumstances" but just can't fire its guns as the rules are written.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
This is the FW gospel as it has always been known. The rules not working are part of the experience. You are now forced to sweeping advance.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

TTerrible posted:

This is the FW gospel as it has always been known. The rules not working are part of the experience. You are now forced to sweeping advance.

Can I advance into a competitor's store?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Unsupported by this battletome.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

You know that does make me wonder, what are some good budget alternatives (if you aren't collecting the armies Mantic has on offer) for 40K models? Good as in "probably won't get you thrown out of a store"

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

evilmiera posted:

It was last night, we must've been late in delivering the memo.

Actually in all honesty they're not evil just massively incompetent when it comes to rules. Not just in terms of releasing models with broken ones but some of the updated rules for 8th edition for older models just plain don't work or are either incredibly overpowered or completely pointless to ever bring for any reason.

The main one that people tend to bring up is the Tau flyer that stops being able to shoot its guns in 8th. Not "isn't as good at shooting" or "can only shoot in certain circumstances" but just can't fire its guns as the rules are written.

With what's been going on at FW they should have just delayed releasing their 8th edition rules for three months, or put the rules up for free as playtest rules and let the community go over them and find all the problems.

Trying to get 4 indexes out in that time frame with what has happened just wasn't realistic, so it looks like a lot of stuff is unedited 1st draft stuff.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Thundercloud posted:

With what's been going on at FW they should have just delayed releasing their 8th edition rules for three months, or put the rules up for free as playtest rules and let the community go over them and find all the problems.

Trying to get 4 indexes out in that time frame with what has happened just wasn't realistic, so it looks like a lot of stuff is unedited 1st draft stuff.

A bunch of people at FW have died recently too- Bligh was the most recent but a car full of their designers crashed a year or two ago which contributed to Infernos delay. Honestly, I can't blame their release schedule at this point.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Just to talk about Magic because it has been more GW-y than GW for the last couple months, the game's number two for most hated element is the Standard Rotation. That's the thing where cards are no longer played in the main format 'just because'. That's the thing Games Workshop wouldn't be able to pull off, but Magic was so cheap when it started it just got grandfathered in and has kept rolling.

What people don't mention about the past couple years is that WoTC attempted to accelerate the standard rotation, to make it go faster. So basically they took the #2 most hated thing in their game and tried to give people more of it. They did it halfway through a development period and a bunch of the recent sets didn't line up correctly but they forced it through. Recently, after doing their second accelerated rotation, they walked it back. So the environment people are playing wasn't tested or wasn't tested properly and they've banned more cards this year than... I think straight up ever. (Within a yearly span of Standard)

Someone who pays more attention can probably outline the impact this has had on sales.

Their new plan is to triple the print rate of 'Masters' sets, which are sold for $10 a pack instead of $4 a pack and short run to force up demand. They're lazy reprint sets. They went from printing 1 in two years to 2 in a year and now there's three in a yearly span.

$30 for 45 pieces of cardboard. Assuming the packs are sold at MSRP, but they got some NES classic syndrome going on.

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 26, 2017

Zalabar
Feb 13, 2012

Yes, he would like fries with that, thank you.

Not a viking posted:

I didn't even know MtG had lore except the blurbs on the card :v:

Behold!

Last I checked, they were in Not Egypt getting ready for Dragon-Darksied's return.
And earlier, Jace made Cthulhu table flip!

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Spiderdrake posted:

Just to talk about Magic because it has been more GW-y than GW for the last couple months,

I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said after this point, but I think WotCs been really troubled for quite a while, it's just all bubbling up now and causing backlash.

Someone was asking about modern and legacy earlier- those are interesting formats and still fun to play, but there's absolutely some problems with them them. The first is the cost of entry. It's probably $1,000 minimum these days to buy in to either format competitively, and the second issue that dovetails nicely with that upfront cost is that you run a very real risk of a key card in your deck getting banned with no warning, forcing you to invest in another deck. Some cards are pretty fungible across decks and so if your deck eats a ban you won't necessarily have to replace 100% of what you've already sunk in, but you could honestly be looking at needing to replace 80% of the cards in your deck, and they'll often be stupidly expensive ($20 each and you'll need a set of 4 is pretty normal, and there's frequently $50-$100 cards.) Finally, the metagame shifts and WotC usually prints a couple of busted cards in each set that shakes up the older formats, so even if you've already sunk north of a thousand bucks in your cardboard wizard squares, you're expected to keep the money treadmill running every three months or so just to stay up to date.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

tallkidwithglasses posted:

I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said after this point, but I think WotCs been really troubled for quite a while, it's just all bubbling up now and causing backlash.
I don't think they were out GWing GW until recently. Recently the game's progression could have "A Michael Bay film" attached to it and no one would blink.

The troubles start back in I want to say 2014 when Hasbro and WoTC had a "Daddys home" moment as growth slowed. Not that the game stopped growing. Just stopped growing by huge amounts year to year. Supposedly year to year was 2% for 2016, but I haven't actually seen the investor info so who knows.

As an aside, Standard is the cheapest it has been in a long time right now. I'll avoid discussing market cap and promotions and just post this:

This is the cause.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
holy poo poo that's ugly

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Here's the point i'd say wizards got Bad:

From time to time, we do market research where we use actual data to test how we're doing. What we learned was that the sets using New World Order were much easier for the new players to understand than the sets before New World Order, but our number crunchers informed us that there was significant room for advancement. In other words, it was accessible but it could be more accessible.

We were then challenged by upper management to see what would happened if we notched it up another level.

What started as a philosophy statement of designing simple and flavorful cards got some sweet sweet senior leadership attention in 2013 and has since spiraled. Throw in a fight between design and brand and a bunch of contractors and et voila a dumpster fire.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Out of context, but when one of your veteran designers posts

quote:

Whew! I know this might seem like quite a bit at first blush, but once you get in the habit of thinking less, it really is kind of relaxing. You know the sensation when, in the middle of the game, you can just tell your brain is trying to process too much information? Now you'll have less of that and, trust me, as someone who has lived in this New New World Order world for a while, you won't miss it.

I feel like it's time to click on your gun and click on your horse.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Is sealed deck play still popular? I've thought about trying that from time to time, buying in on the night of and just selling what I get back to the store for whatever they'll give me. Just haven't had the time. I was actually hoping I could try out Destiny that way, but apparently the game's design isn't conducive to sealed deck tournaments.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

evilmiera posted:

You know that does make me wonder, what are some good budget alternatives (if you aren't collecting the armies Mantic has on offer) for 40K models? Good as in "probably won't get you thrown out of a store"

Even walking into a store with the Orkiest home made Looted tanks of plasticard and GW bitz is likely to earn you a sideways stare, and people will still want to weigh your stuff if they think it might be Chinese.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

StuG Jeebus posted:

Is sealed deck play still popular? I've thought about trying that from time to time, buying in on the night of and just selling what I get back to the store for whatever they'll give me. Just haven't had the time. I was actually hoping I could try out Destiny that way, but apparently the game's design isn't conducive to sealed deck tournaments.

Limited(which includes Draft and Sealed) is still quite popular, yeah. It's one of the things they focus on for set design.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

EverettLO posted:

Got my poo poo in February when people in my local scene could purchase it in October. You're right, it's not a store. It turns out waiting for a store to stock it would've hurried the whole process along by a third of a year.

They made the call to ship to retail before most backers had their poo poo. They had perfectly rational reasons for doing it, and backers are perfectly reasonable in being pissed about it.

Nah.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

Even walking into a store with the Orkiest home made Looted tanks of plasticard and GW bitz is likely to earn you a sideways stare, and people will still want to weigh your stuff if they think it might be Chinese.

Who does this. Who has a list of weights for GW kits.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

NTRabbit posted:

Lady Justice but with two leman russes on the scales.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

TTerrible posted:

Who does this. Who has a list of weights for GW kits.

No one in real life

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I swear the manager/solo employee of the last GW in my city would do that. Of course, most bootleg stuff is forge world, and he flatly doesn't allow that because his store doesn't sell it.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Hamshot posted:

I swear the manager/solo employee of the last GW in my city would do that. Of course, most bootleg stuff is forge world, and he flatly doesn't allow that because his store doesn't sell it.

:lol:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
My friend was in a car accident several years ago. I've been meaning to go over to his place for the past decade to sort through some stuff, but I don't live on the same continent anymore. I happened to be in town and ran into his parents and they invited me over. I'm pretty sure most of his 40k stuff was in the crash with him as everything is in a terrible state of disrepair. I'm not sure how worth my time it is to try and repair it. Plus, everything has the paint job of a teenager. However, he had some gorgeous Mordheim skaven, the 2002 Blood Bowl core set with an extra set of orcs, a few dozen fantasy dwarfs from an army that never quite got off the ground, and a mostly intact Battlefleet Gothic starter box. So his memory is going to be able to live on, though I might have to hunt down some bits to repair his Chaos ships.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Taking the death thread pretty literally there. :smith:

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Ashcans posted:

Taking the death thread pretty literally there. :smith:

I did a sort and sell for the parents of a friend that passed away, and he had *rooms* of models collected over twenty years or so. I spent months on that, and raised about $4k for the family from the proceeds, but the family really appreciated it the work more than the money as it was one more thing they didn't need around to remind them of him after he died.

Good for you Atlas Hugged.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I got in touch with another high school friend who is happy to take the 40k stuff. He's always been better at the hobby side than me and so he's got the chops to repair the models that need it, touch up the ones that are just painted poorly, and do something interesting with the ones that were never painted. Part of me was taking stuff because I figured it would be easier for me to throw it out than for them, since this stuff was a big part of his short life and is potentially valuable. But it seems like all of it is going to have a home.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The flavour text on magic cards was definitely enough for me. You had an idea of who the more major characters were, and every now and then an amusing tidbit from a guy who didn't even get his own card. Now the planeswalkers and stuff are really overblown. I stopped playing initially when they first came out, bought a box of cards a few years back and I still don't think I own one.

The cycling in standard was a way to prevent power creep, wasn't it? stupid powerful cards could be banned, then strong metas would fade as their component parts cycled out. Makes legacy and whatever the format for older cards is a mess though. gently caress affinity.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

ilmucche posted:

The cycling in standard was a way to prevent power creep, wasn't it?
Magic and power creep have such a weird relationship it's hard to say, but yeah it's mostly a result of how completely hosed up the first two or three years of design were.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Spiderdrake posted:

I don't think they were out GWing GW until recently. Recently the game's progression could have "A Michael Bay film" attached to it and no one would blink.

The troubles start back in I want to say 2014 when Hasbro and WoTC had a "Daddys home" moment as growth slowed. Not that the game stopped growing. Just stopped growing by huge amounts year to year. Supposedly year to year was 2% for 2016, but I haven't actually seen the investor info so who knows.

As an aside, Standard is the cheapest it has been in a long time right now. I'll avoid discussing market cap and promotions and just post this:

This is the cause.

Who is Hazoret the Pervert?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
We all are.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

ilmucche posted:

The cycling in standard was a way to prevent power creep, wasn't it? stupid powerful cards could be banned, then strong metas would fade as their component parts cycled out. Makes legacy and whatever the format for older cards is a mess though. gently caress affinity.

I'd say it's 20% that, 5% to keep complexity manageable/to keep things accessible for newbies, and 75% to force the most engaged players to keep buying cards from the most recent sets.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I stopped paying Magic in -98 or so and I have no loving idea what it's about now. You play with caster cards and travel around or what the hell?

"Phenomenon is a card type used for Planar Magic. It is on oversized cards in the Planar deck and represent one-time effects players may encounter during planeswalking. Phenomena first appeared in Planechase 2012.[1] "

Kids these age, too good for proper lightning bolts and counterspells.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

lilljonas posted:

I stopped paying Magic in -98 or so and I have no loving idea what it's about now. You play with caster cards and travel around or what the hell?

"Phenomenon is a card type used for Planar Magic. It is on oversized cards in the Planar deck and represent one-time effects players may encounter during planeswalking. Phenomena first appeared in Planechase 2012.[1] "

Same, basically. But if you still have your old cards, by all means sift through and find any dual lands you might have, because they're worth hundreds of dollars. Couple years ago my friend gave me his magic cards - like four or five packs of Revised - and I sold off the dual lands and gave him an envelope with four hundred bucks in it. He was completely flabbergasted.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

lilljonas posted:

Of course they are, they were both removed for being too powerful.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

lilljonas posted:

WOTC made up a bunch of alternate games that use various oversized cards. Who knows, but I can see them adopting them into the main game the same way GW did with apocalypse.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

nopantsjack posted:

Who is Hazoret the Pervert?
A Legendary Gobi, can't you read?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Of course they are, they were both removed for being too powerful.

"Having your creature be countered is worse than 2/3s smashing butts at each other all day long" -WOTC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Leperflesh posted:

Same, basically. But if you still have your old cards, by all means sift through and find any dual lands you might have, because they're worth hundreds of dollars. Couple years ago my friend gave me his magic cards - like four or five packs of Revised - and I sold off the dual lands and gave him an envelope with four hundred bucks in it. He was completely flabbergasted.

Nah, I mostly played between Ice Age and Tempest, when the really expensive stuff were already out of rotation. I had a few dual lands, but all my stuff were either sold off or given away like a decade ago.

lol, I also saw someone mentioning Force of Will being removed for being too powerful. Gimped af.

• Locked thread