Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I don't really follow football, but there has never been a time when "gently caress Philly" is an inappropriate response in the history of human civilization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

tallkidwithglasses posted:

especially their fans suck

This is pretty much the entirety of my argument right here.

Honestly, I forgot they had a basketball team. I'm guessing that's pretty young for a line?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

It's incredibly young. Hoops players are generally in their prime between 25-30, so if they can keep this core together they have the opportunity to get everyone working together and building good relationships for the next season or two, and then potentially have everyone hitting their peak together while having the sort of strong chemistry that elevates the whole to be better than the sum of its parts. Its a lot like what OKC did after stealing Durant and Westbrook from Seattle and then adding Harden. Impatient Philly fans absolutely have the opportunity to ruin this though v:shobon:v.

Neat, I've actually learned a thing today.

Hockey's mostly in the same boat. Prime age is about 23-28 for offense, 25-30 for D and up to about 32-35 for goal keepers. The exception is when you get generational talent, where the entire sport and the related coverage goes bugfuck for a dude still in his teens, but any time they don't deliver impossible performance they're callow youth, unfit to lick the boots of [player from when commentator played].

It's pretty cool right now because there's a preposterous number of those generational talents coming into the game all at once. The Maple Leafs lineup is a lot like how you're describing the 76ers, and they're almost back to not sucking after like fifty years.

(Which you may well know, and if you do no disrespect intended, but I would rather talk about A Sport than these loving games at this point.)

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I didn't play Magic since I was in fifth grade, but I picked up the first Innistrad block and it was pretty cool, but then I stopped caring again. That's my Magic story, thanks for the indulgence.

For sure, but I have hopes for a 7 game playoff series where the typical score is like 142-139

Here's a basketball question. Obviously a game where you have the possibility of scoring multiple points on a single play will have a higher score. But basketball has a lot more individual instances of scoring than hockey, (this is pretty much always going to be my referent, sorry) where you get one point per puck in the goal, and a 4-3 game is considered a pretty high-scoring game.

I really like a game where the defensemen get to show off. A good save is often more entertaining than a bullshit accidental goal. This is definitely not a universally-held opinion, though.

Do you feel basketball suffers or benefits from having so many chances to score? Is a points race better entertainment value in your book than a race to break a shutout?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I like high scoring games, and personally, one of the things I dislike about soccer particularly is the inherent variance of a goal- a team can absolutely be better than their opponent and lose or tie a critical game thanks to a freaky scoring event (or in the absolute worst case, a penalty kick for a questionable or nonexistent foul arbitrarily decided by the ref in a nonreviewable process). Bball having lots of scoring greatly mitigates that variance and by the end of the season it's hard to argue that the best teams aren't in the final stages of the playoffs- compare that to the MLS, where medium teams often sneak into the playoffs and then win the whole thing thanks to fluky games.

All that scoring doesn't really mitigate great defensive performances though. A lot of people would say that Lebron's block was the highlight of the 2016 finals, and the final moments of a tight game are often decided by strong defense as much as they are by brilliant offense. One tendency in basketball, though, is that offense can be very individualistic, but D is really a team effort, since one of the guiding principles of modern offense is moving the ball and exploiting lapses in coverage to generate space. There isn't as much of an opportunity for a singularly dominant defensive player to make a mark (outside of maybe blanking a star playmaker) compared to how much an individual contributor can shine on offense.

Now, speaking from an uninformed position, that block is completely loving rad.

I think that's definitely a point of contrast for me. Hockey defense is weird, in that D players are often pretty good scorers as well, but it's a team effort to defeat the broad momentum of plays and the occasional breakaway, but also there's literally one dude on each team who's the ultimate shot-stopper.

There are definitely standout D-men, though. One of my favorite players in the NHL is PK Subban, who has a hell of a story behind him that's a little to long to recount just for this post. Basically hockey is even better than the other American leagues about drumming any personality out of its players. Meanwhile, Subban is charismatic as hell, on top of the fact he's intensely talented, and actually manages to play with a flourish. You can tell which dude he is when he's out on the ice even from the nosebleed seats, just because of how he moves and reacts. Some miscellaneous highlights in no particular order.

Meanwhile, it's harder to find goalie highlights, just because it's not as glamorous as scoring. I love the hell out of it, though. Good goalkeeping might not win you a game, but bad goalkeeping will sure as hell lose it. Here's one of my other favorite players, Pekka Rinne and a bunch of other goalies. The guy incredibly exciting to watch because he's either on fire and one of the best in the league, or he's sucking out loud. You never know which it'll be. Thrills!

There's definitely a push from some fans for increased scoring, via rules changes or bigger goals and smaller pads or whatever else. The idea is that more points == better than, but I personally feel there are bigger and more urgent issues for the NHL to address, which is also one of those things that's way too huge to discuss in this, the thread about Games Workshop, And Sports.

NTRabbit posted:

So just like the annual All Star game? :v:

I take a great deal of solace that no matter what sport you follow, everyone thinks the all-star games are dumb as hell.

• Locked thread