Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Games Workshop

The largest name in the industry, everyone knows these guys and most of us got started in the hobby because of them. In fact, "the hobby" has often been ubiquitous with Games Workshop and its products. They've had some highs and lows, but recent changes in leadership and a new edition of 40k have fans cautiously optimistic.

Boneheaded Moves: The release of Age of Sigmar was an unmitigated disaster and the rules for it are still terrible, but they actually appear to be listening to what fans want and are trying to avoid the same thing happening with the new edition of 40k.

hmm I'm gonna bet that they are not actually going to avoid the rules for the new edition of 40k being terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Fsmhunk posted:

Did GW go out of buisness yet?

I hear malibu stacy with new hat is v. popular with their core fanbase

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

The Bee posted:

Yeah, if I ever made or purchased hill terrain, it would basically be a plateau that I'd pretend is a hill. Hills are nightmares.

The places I've played generally use flat mats (in a different shade from the table) to mark hills, because, yeah. I remember seeing this called out in WD ~20 years ago but I've yet to see a better solution than just abstracting hills entirely.

Similarly with forests using a mat to mark the forest boundaries and then putting standalone trees on the matt for decoration (which can be removed when they get in the way of models) seems like the best solution, but it's completely incompatible with TLOS silliness.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Is that a new thing? I haven't been a magic player in ages but it definitely used to seem like they had at least some permanent design people.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

holy poo poo that's ugly

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

Apparently some friends of mine are playing Lord of the Rings again so I was flipping through my Return of the King rules and it uses true line of sight with the caveat of don't be stupid about it, it's just a model.

I'm sure everyone can easily tell precisely what is "stupid" TOLS and what is not, despite it somehow being impossible to commit to words

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

You're never going to hear me defend TLOS. It's a garbage mechanic at the best of time, but at least GW has previously acknowledged the imprecise nature of it and attempted to address it in the rules. That doesn't mean they were successful mind you, just that they acknowledged the problem.

I mean, this is just another wording of the "gentleman's agreement" stuff, it's GW's go-to idea for how you're supposed to handle the fact that they can't be bothered to write functional rules

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

I think the real problem is that the people who are more interested in "casual gaming" often don't understand that having "competitive" rules is better for everyone in the end. I get the feeling that GW, even when it was "old good GW", was writing from the perspective of gaming as a hobby where friends got together to tell emergent stories, have a few laughs, and not take anything too seriously. There's nothing wrong with this approach to gaming, but it's a terrible approach to writing rules. If the rules are well constructed, you can play a fair game without any house-ruling or negotiation. And if the players aren't happy with how things are turning out on the battlefield for whatever reason, they're totally free to bend the rules or have a do over or just declare that something different than what is "supposed" to happen happened. Just because something has tight tournament rules doesn't mean you can't ignore those rules outside of a tournament setting.

So ultimately you're right and I agree with the point you're making, but I do think it's important to understand the mindset that GW is frequently writing from and the impact that this has had overall on the industry. They're not necessarily "wrong" to write rules the way they do, but they do end up being imperfect or flawed.

yeah other than what it means to say someone is "wrong" I'm sure we more or less agree here

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Beerdeer posted:

Hey, there is still a death thread!

well, GW is still bad, so this checks out

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

please don't troll

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

pie charts are very apropos for games workshop, because they are bad

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

I think you will find that all games and game companies are bad.

I dunno man, sometimes I am playing a game and I am like, huh, this experience is enjoyable, because the people who made it were both talented enough to make a good game and were willing to put in the effort required to do so. it's a good experience IMO

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

What does that say about the vast player pool of Warmachine?

what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

no way you can sculpt a sufficient number of purity seals in just one year, come on

• Locked thread