Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

lilljonas posted:

I stopped paying Magic in -98 or so and I have no loving idea what it's about now. You play with caster cards and travel around or what the hell?

"Phenomenon is a card type used for Planar Magic. It is on oversized cards in the Planar deck and represent one-time effects players may encounter during planeswalking. Phenomena first appeared in Planechase 2012.[1] "

Kids these age, too good for proper lightning bolts and counterspells.

Same, basically. But if you still have your old cards, by all means sift through and find any dual lands you might have, because they're worth hundreds of dollars. Couple years ago my friend gave me his magic cards - like four or five packs of Revised - and I sold off the dual lands and gave him an envelope with four hundred bucks in it. He was completely flabbergasted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

tallkidwithglasses posted:

99% of cards in the game are worth less than a buck. You might randomly have a few valuable cards in an old collection but it's overwhelmingly likely to be chaff, and if it's cards from like 1997-2003 the best you're likely to get is maybe a $40 card or two.

Yup. Had my brother (who still plays, although only very casually) come over and we sifted through my collection, which due to a few purchases of large boxes of random cards, has like 4k or 5k cards in it.

We pulled maybe a dozen that had value worth paying attention to, and the only ones worth more than like $25 were the dual lands.

If you have an old collection and you know someone who is aware of the current state of what's worth money, going through the cards with them for an hour or two is worthwhile. But if you have no idea, cataloguing thousands of cards online just isn't worth it; sell the entire collection for a hundred bucks or so and be done with it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah it's really not hard to get the community itself to help run events, police the crowd, etc. and you can schedule specific times for Magic play and reserve time for other games. You can foster an environment in your store that does not tolerate gross behavior and reserves space for non-Magic players.

Magic is still by far the world's most popular and lucrative trad game. Banning it entirely would be like a candy store refusing to carry chocolate because it's just too popular to deal with.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Basketball scoring also is somewhat deceptive. If you think there's not much defense going on and that's why games involve 200 points (100+ per team), here is a very cool video about a game in which both teams decided to try and set a record by not worrying about defense (besides steals) and just playing offense as fast as possible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4afzQyGo5Q

The annoying bit in the first two minutes can be skipped if you get too annoyed. Actual content starts at ~2:15.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 29, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah one year is fairly normal, three years is fairly absurd.

• Locked thread