Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Chill la Chill posted:

They did the same thing in x-wing and the playtesting done with the Jumpmaster. Turns out if you have players dedicated to certain factions or want them to succeed in some way, they have an incentive not to be forthcoming with playtesting data. :v:
There is no one that invested in Scum, I'm sorry. I've heard the above many times but I think it's a myth. I think the more likely story is that it just wasn't seen during playtesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

People weren't really invested in making the jumpmaster a good ship. Scum didn't have a following like it does now because there weren't that many ships available at the time. It's something that people have said about the Jumpmaster with no basis on actual fact.

Geisladisk posted:

That J2K build relied on a interaction between two upgrade cards, R4 Agromech and Deadeye, which had been in game forever and had both been considered pretty useless until that point. Plus, at that point in the game, the notion that torpedoes could actually be good was downright absurd to most people, as they had been hot garbage since wave 1. In other words, it required assembling three awful things and putting them on this entirely new ship to create something broken.

It's a combo that feels blindingly obvious once it has dominated your meta for months, but it's totally understandable that playtesting didn't catch it.
Exactly this. It was just a missed combo that the playtesters didn't spot when doing the playtesting. I've never seen actual proof that a shadowy cabal of playtesters saw the combo and decided not to say anything about it.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 5, 2017

• Locked thread