Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

tallkidwithglasses posted:

It's been a gradual transition over the past 5-10 years. They still have a couple full timers to write articles and be the face of R&D, but they've been churning through a million anonymous people for various sets and it really shows. There hasn't been a truly fun set to draft for at least 4-5 years, and there have been a couple that were completely horrendous, either through busted unbeatable rares, some colors being essentially unplayable, or the format either being absurdly fast or mindnumbingly grindy.

I stopped playing properly after just after Origins dropped due to life obligations and tried to get back in when Zendikar 2 came out but those two sets were unbelievably bland, especially compared to the first Zendikar block. I tried again in Innistrad 2 and hit the same brick wall there, especially when Eldrich Moon came out and did little to nothing to build on what few interesting mechanics SoI had. From what I heard, Kaladesh was another boring mess marred by a trio of singularly overpowered cards and Amonkhet is shaping up the same way.

It's a shame really, the settings and flavour seems pretty on point but the card design and storyline are a dumpster-fire. I wanna hope and say they'll pull their fingers out for the next set because the concept sounds cool, but it's a guarentee they'll flounder all over the place like they have since the end of Tarkir.

Ah well, there's always Commander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

tallkidwithglasses posted:

I have some buddies who have done tours of duty at WotC and the scuttlebutt I heard was that there was a big political battle between the brand and design teams over who had ultimate ownership of the MtG product. I think the past few years have shown that brand probably won- there are a lot of interesting, fun worlds and a coherent storyline they're showing us, but the actual product has been garbage and really really bad to play. I only really play through my sealed league at work these days, and it's really been fundamentally about opening busted rares and hoping to draw them during games- there just aren't efficient, common answers to big threats any more, so if you open the big scary dragon and can play it for half your games it's very hard to lose matches.

That seems to be the crux of the problem, inter-set balance is all over the place. A card is either completely ridiculously good or it's complete garbage, pretty much to the point you're actively sabotaging your deck if you don't include (x), (y) and (z).

Which then leads into the horrific mess that it is to get into Magic, at least in any competitive sense, since those cards are so vital. So either you spend a small fortune to crack packs and get super lucky, or you shell out for the specific cards on the horrificly bloated aftermarket. For the price of a decent standard Magic deck, I could easily get myself a fair sized Wargaming army, and I won't need to rotate that out to keep up with standard.

How's Modern and the eternal formats doing nowerdays? When Is stopped playing Modern was in a mess and now there's something called Frontier which just sounds awful.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
GW is good now and in that wake other companies are battling it out to become the new Bad.

• Locked thread