Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Played a couple games of 8th. One step forward two steps back.

Cover is dumb Infinity poo poo which means I'm going to have to make a bunch of new terrain to cart between the shop and back. Hey, you can see the toe of my monster through a tiny crack in the wall... of COURSE I wouldn't get any sort of save from that. Terrain is dead, long live terrain.
I can see 99% of my games against a character or two buffing a shooting core surrounded by bubblewrap to push deepstrikers 9" out. I'll have to crack the meta by fielding 200+ gaunts to sit on objectives which makes for a fun game. Thanks for getting rid of the one tool that we had to prevent this (blasts).
The back-and-forth in close combat isn't as bad as I thought with chargers going first, but it is still pretty stupid. I see command rerolls being used mostly for re rolling damage results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

w00tmonger posted:

What's the state of 8th right now? Are people still charmed with it?

I guess, despite it basically being AoS-a-like. Not a bad thing, it does fix a lot of stuff that AoS does wrong, but still. Also, terrain is pretty loving useless as written.

We will have to see when the codices come out if they are going to go in any crazy balance breaking direction.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Radish posted:

It's been a while for me but at least in Fantasy the army books was where the game broke down severely. 7th edition was actually a pretty good rule set and fixed some of the issues of 6th but then three books in they gave army wide ASF to High Elves and it was downhill from there. The Arch Lector on the War Altar was also a huge mistake but it wasn't as game breaking as what followed.

This is kind of like 7th 40k. The basic rules were a decent enough evolution of 6th, but then they released formations that gave certain armies 300+ free points of wargear while other armies got... hammer of wraith if they rolled a 10 or above (think the old ogre charge rules on S3 infantry).

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Atlas Hugged posted:

But apparently nids are good again.

Not really. The monsters are suffering, and without lascannon/melta they do suffer heavily against mid/heavy tanks.
Though if you play them with heaps of infantry and mindlessly try to get everything you have in your opponents face they do fine.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Liquid Communism posted:

That would own bones, especially if everything we know about Russ was true except the gender, so she was just a hard drinking badass.

Warhammer needs more Ripley.

• Locked thread