Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Just to talk about Magic because it has been more GW-y than GW for the last couple months, the game's number two for most hated element is the Standard Rotation. That's the thing where cards are no longer played in the main format 'just because'. That's the thing Games Workshop wouldn't be able to pull off, but Magic was so cheap when it started it just got grandfathered in and has kept rolling.

What people don't mention about the past couple years is that WoTC attempted to accelerate the standard rotation, to make it go faster. So basically they took the #2 most hated thing in their game and tried to give people more of it. They did it halfway through a development period and a bunch of the recent sets didn't line up correctly but they forced it through. Recently, after doing their second accelerated rotation, they walked it back. So the environment people are playing wasn't tested or wasn't tested properly and they've banned more cards this year than... I think straight up ever. (Within a yearly span of Standard)

Someone who pays more attention can probably outline the impact this has had on sales.

Their new plan is to triple the print rate of 'Masters' sets, which are sold for $10 a pack instead of $4 a pack and short run to force up demand. They're lazy reprint sets. They went from printing 1 in two years to 2 in a year and now there's three in a yearly span.

$30 for 45 pieces of cardboard. Assuming the packs are sold at MSRP, but they got some NES classic syndrome going on.

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

tallkidwithglasses posted:

I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said after this point, but I think WotCs been really troubled for quite a while, it's just all bubbling up now and causing backlash.
I don't think they were out GWing GW until recently. Recently the game's progression could have "A Michael Bay film" attached to it and no one would blink.

The troubles start back in I want to say 2014 when Hasbro and WoTC had a "Daddys home" moment as growth slowed. Not that the game stopped growing. Just stopped growing by huge amounts year to year. Supposedly year to year was 2% for 2016, but I haven't actually seen the investor info so who knows.

As an aside, Standard is the cheapest it has been in a long time right now. I'll avoid discussing market cap and promotions and just post this:

This is the cause.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Out of context, but when one of your veteran designers posts

quote:

Whew! I know this might seem like quite a bit at first blush, but once you get in the habit of thinking less, it really is kind of relaxing. You know the sensation when, in the middle of the game, you can just tell your brain is trying to process too much information? Now you'll have less of that and, trust me, as someone who has lived in this New New World Order world for a while, you won't miss it.

I feel like it's time to click on your gun and click on your horse.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

ilmucche posted:

The cycling in standard was a way to prevent power creep, wasn't it?
Magic and power creep have such a weird relationship it's hard to say, but yeah it's mostly a result of how completely hosed up the first two or three years of design were.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Is this archon studios kickstarter a scam or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Atlas Hugged posted:

I doubt it's a scam, but it's a big step up for the company. One of the things that puts me off is when they set the target number super low, in this case only $5000 and then have the stretch goals mapped out. That tells me that the stretch goals are the actual target numbers for the kickstarter but they were too nervous to go that high for fear of not getting any funding at all. But they've delivered on past kickstarters apparently so it might end up being fine.
Yeah shieldwolf did that, again, and canceled their low flying kickstarter again.

The rumor atm is that GW sent them a C&D when, you know, they've done the exact same thing before.

• Locked thread