Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits
Hawk Wargames

Niche within a niche wargaming company (10mm sci fi!) who love their vehicles and had to employ someone who didn't hate infantry to sculpt their infantry because the first run was so drat bad. They have a reputation for having an enthusiastic convention presence, having no organisational skills of any kind and for their rules suffering from uneven playtesting. In short, they're a small wargames company

Notable Games: Dropzone Commander, Dropfleet Commander

Boneheaded Moves: The aforementioned infantry. The fact that their kickstarter delivery for Dropfleet was late, and then inconsistent and their communication was poor verging on nonexistent. The biggest screw up with it though was that most people didn't get their stuff until it had already hit retail, and the people who backed for the most money got their stuff last. Which of course is exactly the way to treat people who invest a buttload of cash into your game. Also, Hawk Dave writes rules that can be charitably described as "wobbly", that leave major problems with balance. The traditional mechanism to fixing balance has been releasing randomised card draw mechanics, which are sort of compulsory but lots of people refuse to play with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits
Can't we all just get along and go back to making GBS threads on the things we love?

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

PrinnySquadron posted:

I know that Warmachine pretty much died off in a local store here when 3rd edition game out: I think people ended up waiting to see how stuff shook out then it never quite recovered: wouldn't be surprised if price hikes added to that.

EDIT: IIRC, the local store also had a bunch of trouble getting the new boxes in as well.

I was looking to get into a new game recently, and a couple of the ones I'd considered (Warmachine and Flames of War) had recently had or were just getting new editions, that were broadly panned by fans and critics. It's a shame, because I feel if I'd gotten into either in a previous edition I'd have really enjoyed it.

Ended up just buying more stuff for Chain of Command and Bolt Action.

• Locked thread